Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

IF you're still thinking of moving onboard.....

Learn how others did it. Ask advice on all issues related to making the move onto a boat.

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 87 times

IF you're still thinking of moving onboard.....

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:29 am

Everyone fights with thinking, 'when is the right time to make the break"... Well here's something to think about...
We moved onboard our Hatteras in June of 2000... Two weeks ago I found out I have Parkinson's... I start physical therapy today, three times a week... So we now know our timetable to move off has been shortened from "years from now' to soon.... No time table at the moment, but 'years' has been taken off the table.
We've had 20 yrs had we waited till we were 65, instead of 20 years, we would of only of had 4...
Just something for you to consider when thinking about the 'perfect time' to make the break....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 70 times

Re: IF you're still thinking of moving onboard.....

Unread postby scallywag » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:31 pm

Thanks for sharing...Do it while young has a lot going for it but no money. Many boats on the market at this time wold make nice live aboards. Wishing you well with your battle with "P". Hips, knees and eyes. Brain also goes.....

Dot and John

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 149 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:28 am

'sorry to hear of your "years off the table"! As you know we had to give up our time aboard three yeas ago due to health issues, but there's no substitute for having a good run at adventure and joy. I still haven't mowed a lawn since the Spring of 1964 back in our shared neighborhood on East Acre Drive, but Nancie and I have taken to some new adventures,.... buying furniture; watching bottles standing upright in our refrigerator; having our home eerily stable during thunderstorms. There are exciting times ahead!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 220 times

Unread postby tex » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:08 am

It sucks, Jax. We were looking forward to having you two aboard the ole Hatt when we visited the St. John’s (planned for this winter).

The truth is, we can’t even guess at the “immediate” future anymore. We don’t know what’s going to happen when or how right now. And speaking of now, we do have that, and were doing our best to remain there. With all the distortion and distraction of this world, there is little that bring us back to the moment, save for the unwelcome urgencies and emergencies.

Consider this. Eva & I haven’t really had any excuse not to be cruising other than chosen, conveniently timed, powerfully attracted distractions. I envy the whole bunch of you, the real live-aboards who walked the walk instead of just us forum cruisers talking the talk.

Wishing you good luck in finding your comfort spot back on the dirt, but especially with your prognosis and treatment. I just turned 70 and have developed quite the hand tremor, making electrical wiring a frustrating (if not comical) event. It looks as if the old live-aboard community is getting old with me, and one prognosis follows another. :roll:

Nothing cheers one up more than a brand spanking new shiny lawn mower, no? Like the Athya Crew, you may find some relief in those persistent details one needs to be mindful of when living aboard. Sleeping with one eye and one ear open might have kept you from the rest that is particularly important now. I wonder what Capt. Force and Nancy thought when it was raining cats & dogs outside, but there was no comforting growl from the bilge pumps.

Enjoy the positives of having plenty of family around you and keep us updated. Looking forward to those photos of your new home and mower. Share more often.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Should still be some years from 'having' to move onshore. At physical therapy, there are 9 others. most have had it over 12 yrs, one 22 yrs and only 2 no longer drive (now they are both in their mid 80's too)... I'm the young kid at 69 :D ... The rest are mid 70's-mid 80's.... We do have fun there, but it is 3 days a week....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:54 pm

Should still be some years from 'having' to move onshore. At physical therapy, there are 9 others. most have had it over 12 yrs, one 22 yrs and only 2 no longer drive (now they are both in their mid 80's too)... I'm the young kid at 69 :D ... The rest are mid 70's-mid 80's.... We do have fun there, but it is 3 days a week....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 149 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:23 am

We had to move ashore at 71. 'looks like you could pass our mark at your young spry age!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Return to “Making The Break From Land”