Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

New windows $$$

Questions and answers about financing the dream, budgets, insurance, investments, taxes, and all things money related.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

New windows $$$

Unread postby tex » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:32 pm

I was checking-out a Marine window builder in Sarasota, FL yesterday and I can honestly say it was the most up-lifting conversation I've had with a potential supplier in a long, long, long time. Coincidentally, he had a set of Krogen Manatee window frames just completed and ready for the power coating. The guy apprenticed with the original owner for a few years and then bought the business about five years ago and has been making his own ever since. The extrusions he uses are quite a bit heavier than I've seen. Furthermore, he is a one man operation this time of the year, and he's in control of his quality. I've asked him to quote 10 windows.....4 in the cabin and 6 in the pilothouse. The old plastic frames in the original windows have done well, but are now brittle.....leaks in the tracks. Waiting for the estimate now. Money, Money, Money.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 127 times

Re: New windows $$$

Unread postby CaptForce » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Portlights can run into some hefty amounts of money. Before you commit look at the stainless steel portlights available from "New Found Metals". They produce many sizes and fits with quality and some competitive pricing.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 79 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:04 pm

And for the Hatteras.... They are made by the Fuller Brush Company (go figure)
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:29 pm

Got the estimate today. How about 3g's for the 4 cabin window sliders, and 5g's for the 6 pilothouse sliders. Ouch! Fuller brush sounds better all the time.

Cool Beans

Unread postby Cool Beans » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:30 pm

Ouch! On the Ranger owners group, you can still get new deadlights molded for about $1200 a set. . .or bolt and silicone oversize plexy-glass to the outside of the coach roof, like everyone does :) Cheaper by almost a factor of 10!
The Perfect is the enemy of the Good

bobbymo
Your Vessel Info: 1989 Viking ACMY 44 ft
Twin DD 671TIB engines.
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 12 times

Unread postby bobbymo » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Perhaps an alternative is available :?:
There's a place here that does shower enclosures. They can make the sliding glass ports and household windows, and will, but don't publicly get into the "boating" world. Found out by accident while getting a windshield repaired.

Also, you have to double-check everything they say. When I bought my boat, I was handed an estimate for work, in that the stateroom ports had to be pulled out and re-sealed. But, when I stood in the stateroom during a rain storm, the water was dripping from above the windows..........so how's that for rocket science? Turned out to be atmosphere leaks from the aft deck...... Fixed.

There's always another way............and, as I am learning, there are several other ways on a boat.... :lol:
Bobby Mo
M/V "Certifiable"
44 Viking
Jacksonville, FL

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 79 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Was given a quote of $5,000 to have both wing doors replaced on the aft deck..... One other Hatteras owner replaced his with 3/4" plexy glass, doing away with the jams totally... His total cost was under $600 for both...
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:29 pm

bobbymo wrote:Perhaps an alternative is available :?:
There's a place here that does shower enclosures. They can make the sliding glass ports and household windows, and will, but don't publicly get into the "boating" world.

May be worth checking out. The frame extrusions are similar, but sealed differently, I think. If the sliding window units are sufficiently sealed, marine sealant could do the same with any aluminum extrusion.

mike48

Unread postby mike48 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:49 pm

CaptForce wrote:Portlights can run into some hefty amounts of money. Before you commit look at the stainless steel portlights available from "New Found Metals". They produce many sizes and fits with quality and some competitive pricing.

For what its worth, New Found Metals no longer cast their own portlights, for last 5 or 6 years they have been made in China to their patterns. Visited their foundry in Port Townsand, WA. last year, they were still operating out of the original site next to the airport, using it for their import business. Nice folks with good designs, and their product looks to be of quality, just not certain as to the cast SS content and if it is high quality SS-316 or SS-304.

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 127 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:45 pm

mike48 wrote:
CaptForce wrote:Portlights can run into some hefty amounts of money. Before you commit look at the stainless steel portlights available from "New Found Metals". They produce many sizes and fits with quality and some competitive pricing.

For what its worth, New Found Metals no longer cast their own portlights, ................

Hey, it's worth a lot! Quality companies are constantly devolving for profit and new upstarts become the better choice!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Return to “All Things Money For Liveaboards”