Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

What now, new foam for cushions?

Questions and answers about financing the dream, budgets, insurance, investments, taxes, and all things money related.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

What now, new foam for cushions?

Unread postby tex » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:16 am

I've got my pilothouse cushions upholstered with Sunbrella semi-transparent window screen material which does a terrific job....durable, easy to clean, almost impervious to stains. Trouble is that the foam inside seems to be deteriorating and it leaves brown dust beneath the cushions, almost looks like sawdust. Before I buy any new foam, I thought someone might know of a treatment to get them to stop crumbling like this. It's not like I don't already have enough costs associated with the boat!
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 132 times

Re: What now, new foam for cushions?

Unread postby CaptForce » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:58 am

I've never heard of a process or treatment to reverse the crumbling of old foam. I'm faced with a similar problem. We have a set of "Bottomsider" cushions that were quite expensive. I get to say "Ecru" with an required accent when I identify their color and their hooker's green pinstripe which I was told is a mix of Prussian Blue and "Gamboge". Of course, "Ecru" & "Gamboge" are said with the same proper French embouchure and this supports the price tag of these cushions.

Once when our dog, Zorro, was left unattended in our cockpit, he detected the smell of a crumb of food under one of these Prussian blue - Gamboge trimmed Ecru cushions. No problem! He was able to claw and chew his way through the cushion to find the bit of treat.

So, our cure has been the strategically placed throw pillow. Hmm... I guess my post is worthless as you can't cover your brown dust with a throw pillow!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 66 times

Unread postby scallywag » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:11 pm

The upside for the foam is, you will be able to clean the cushions. You can also purchase better foam that will not hold moisture. This is a better scenario than purchasing new custom cushions.

Dot and John

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:15 pm

The upholstery material is so incredibly durable that the cushions that came with the boat (at least 5 years old) actually match two other new cushions I had custom made about a year ago. Can't tell the difference.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet for new foam.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

bobbymo
Your Vessel Info: 1989 Viking ACMY 44 ft
Twin DD 671TIB engines.
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 12 times

Unread postby bobbymo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:09 pm

Other than............"Your boat wants NEW foam...............but it" all I could think of was the liner? shield? inner? pillow case thingys I bought when I got new pillows for the berth. These are not plastic but are apparently a very tight weave so they seem to make both the pillows and pillow cases last longer. I can't see why they wouldn't work on cushions.

Once the foam starts to crumble, deteriorate, turn to ash...........whatever you call it...........there is no return and I would suggest putting them into a tall kitchen garbage bag immediately before attempting to take them to "the can".

On the other hand.............if you're REALLY brave or like living in dog houses............you could start a pillow fight with your admiral........ :shock: :shock: She'll laugh...............for a few seconds anyway..........
Bobby Mo
M/V "Certifiable"
44 Viking
Jacksonville, FL

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:01 pm

Replace the foam. Once it starts turning to dust, it's gone. No use wasting all that nice cover material. Get new foam, stick it in the covers, good to go.

Return to “All Things Money For Liveaboards”