Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Another snaafioo more expense

Questions and answers about financing the dream, budgets, insurance, investments, taxes, and all things money related.

Topic author
Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 159 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Another snaafioo more expense

Unread postby Robin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:01 pm

Just when we think we are done we get an email from St Brendans 'isle who we use as a mail service and who we pay to keep tabs on our boat reg and documentation. They wondered why we had not received (via them) a renewal noice for this year. Well after several hours of searching and file checkng it seems that last years renewal documents were sent by SBI to the USCG but they for some reason did not do the renewal. Being a dumb limey I did not realise we should expect a new document in the mail and so did not yell when none arrived I called USCG Documentation department today and was told 'our documentation had lapsed because we had not renewed! They said we will have to pay $84 plus plus to have it reinstated. I think I might have said something uncomplimentary to USCG so I'd better beware of men in black! St Brendans say they have documentation that shows they sent the renewal in on time on our behalf but it was our fault for not telling them we subsequently received nothing from USCG. I am not a happy bunny and have left St Brendans to try and sort it out. If I still had a UK address ( I don't) I would tell them to stuff it and then register our boat in the UK where they do not have annual renewal, aka back door tax collection, and know what they are doing, with a British Flag. However we are in limbo until this is sorted as without it I think we cannot legally travel outside the US. I Suppose we could just State register but that has other implications too like the International Radio call sign and MMSI which we have that is supposed to be issued only to FederaL Docced boats. I do so hate incompetence.

I'm sure it will get sorted somehow, but much less sure that it will not cost us many dollars and lots more delays and hassle.

And as a non-citizen I can't even vote the buggers out of office! :evil:
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 66 times

Re: Another snaafioo more expense

Unread postby scallywag » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:46 pm

Here you can only complain to your US representative or congressman. You can not vote for anybody in the Coast Guard. You want to pay VAT in England? Your s/v is registered in Florida correct? Your registration numbers are the same as your federal documentation numbers. That is the little sticker affixed to your mast. At least mine is stuck to my mast.

Topic author
Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.

Unread postby Robin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:49 pm

scallywag wrote:Here you can only complain to your US representative or congressman. You can not vote for anybody in the Coast Guard. You want to pay VAT in England? Your s/v is registered in Florida correct? Your registration numbers are the same as your federal documentation numbers. That is the little sticker affixed to your mast. At least mine is stuck to my mast.

I was actually being facetious! I will just have to tell Theresa what to ask for in bribesin exchange for HER vote

Actually our problem isalreadysolved because Scot at St Brendans talked to USCG who agreed it was them that had made the error and they are reinstating our boat on the register at no charge to us, a good result
Itdoes however serve as a warning to put the annual renewal date in the calendar and to yell beforehand if the renewal notice does not arrive and also to monitor the eventual arrival of the updated document.

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:44 pm

I am glad everything worked out. AT&T called today to tell me I did not pay my bill. Well after 30 minutes on the phone they found the money was accredited to my other account. I told them I am only one person and should only have one bill not two. I wonder what the other two things will happen to me today?

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:20 pm

Well my laptop is still at the geeks having win10 unfrozen dontt catch that sickness for one of your 2 others!

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:29 pm

Robin,

According to Microsoft you do not need to by an antivirus program. But I have had 3 viruses this past year. Not fun.

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Not a virus and I have extra real time mallware protection running. They are pretty sure it was/is a software conflict arising after an automatic update was installed overnight Tuesday Theresa's laptop also now win 10 was not affected (yet!) . PITA however as my typos are bad enough on a full size devicea and keyboard without using the fiddly toy stuff but I should get it back tomorrow they said. Nnow where did I hear that before? Manama .

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:22 pm

Well my computer is apparently stuffed, now with different geeks as it will not even powe up, I bought ht another on sale this morning at best buy and am waiting for a call to collect it once it has been upgrade and. Fully Updated to win10. If I get the other one back in some kind of working order it can become the 'boat' one and the one there can be retired or recycled. So another $1000 gone, anyone know the lottery numbers to pick?

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby RTB » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:05 pm

We just spent $300.00 to replace the screen on our old HP. It just went dark one day. I can't imagine this old computer lasting too much longer, but going to milk it as long as we can. Not too bad, since it's about 6 years old, and 3 of those years on the boat. It was our backup computer when I sailed with friends to Cartagena, Colombia. We use Maptech Offshore Navigator on the computer for backup to the Garmin chartplotter. Plus, we have Navionics on my wife's Samsung phone. Redundancy! Don't leave home without it......

Maybe an IPAD in our future, but still a bit unsure.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:21 am

well I am near $1000 poorer yet again and have had 3 frustrating days so far trying to sort a new machine. I bought one but it was on Win 8 free upgrade to 10. Forgive me for thinking if I buy the lartest it should be with the latest O.S. So I bought it from Best Buy and paid another $100 for 12 months of Geek Squad cover and including them doing the win 10 upgrade and all the updates. Finally got it today but they had changed my Microsoft log in, even though I told them it, and PW so had to reset that and re-log in to every place again, still not finished that job. then it kept disconnecting me from the WiFi internet which I think was down to mcafee a/v crap, pre installed as a 'free' trial and which immediately demanded I bought a paid subscription. Part of the Geek Squad deal includes kapersky a/v which they were supposed to install forme but did not, just gave me it to do myself (not impressed!) Anyway I uninstalled the 'free trial' MacAfee and it all seems ok now, it was shutting off my router and all things internet connected to it, talk about control freaks. I now have to load a bunch f programs like OpenCPN and configure those to all the new charts also to be downloaded. Good job my labour comes free! I also have the new MS Office 365 on board which has already updated 3 times in as many hours. It was a half price deal with a new machine so as I no longer had my old version it I bit the bullet and bought it . fortunately the Win 10 is clever enough to auto find my printer and scanner and got those working unaided by me.

So I'm back on line even if totally wacked out. This is when you need kids/grandkids with youthfull geekiness to come stay!

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:05 pm

Helen, Buying a new computer, you are braver than I am. I have an old XP that still runs. With all the new megabit hungry web sites, it is slow. It has many boating related software. Our current machines were bought 3 years ago and are the pits. So I am computer shy of the new 10 machines.

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 81 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:17 pm

Reading about sailors having to spend money makes me smile.... ;)
Make SURE you pay your AT-T bill on time Scallywag !!! my two retirement checks from them rely on it...
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:06 pm

win 10 is really good if the machine doesn't blow up. I'm back up and running now with my new machine and hoping the old one can be resurrected as well as a spare.

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:42 pm

My new mchne and win 10 are performing well now, but my smartphone went blank, dark screen yet could still receive calls . Nice young lady at T-Mobil fixed it for me by rebooting it, as in remove and then replace the battery. I went to their store expecting another big bill for new phones but came away having spent nothing but the gas getting there! What a pleasure not to be force- sold more new gear But then the Cuisinart coffeemaker went out. We expected the JC Penney in store warranty to cover it but when we got there a very unhelpful manager said the policy had changed and that their warranty was now only good for 60 days. Nobody told us that so how would we know? Anyway that expensive machine is now being replaced directly by the manufacturer FOC so that is OK but Penney meanwhile have lost themselves a customer forever. Oh and the Admiral's speakers went in her car, producing intermittent sound only. Not sure how 4 speakers could die simultaneously but heck $800 later it all works again and she has music for her half mile drives to the hairdressers or church. But why did I need reminding that was nothing compared to what I spent on the boat?

PeRlease Perlease can we have some time off from snafoos!. :roll:

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:45 pm

Robin wrote:win 10 is really good if the machine doesn't blow up. I'm back up and running now with my new machine and hoping the old one can be resurrected as well as a spare.

Update. Old one went phut and blew smoke rings so is totally dead. Hard disk removed and smashed before disposal and a nice looking Samsung laptop case is in Staples recycling bin.

Return to “All Things Money For Liveaboards”