Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Heat preventing window film.

Questions and answers about financing the dream, budgets, insurance, investments, taxes, and all things money related.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Heat preventing window film.

Unread postby tex » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:35 am

After putting the new windows into the pilothouse, I'm now looking to reduce the solar heat transmission. I was approached a couple of years ago by 3M window film installer and asked if I could help them get into a couple of new Krogen boat builds. I actually did help them with three boats, but the high cost of the film discouraged me from trying it on my own boat. According to the new owners that received the installation, the film made a huge difference in the live-ability of their pilothouses, so I priced buying the film and doing my own installation....looks like about 400 bucks. Then I ran into a 3M window film demonstration desk at Home Depot, and was also impressed with the performance of a metal based window film that was not 3M. I found the film on-line and have it on order....should be delivered this week.

So in the meantime, I've been keeping tabs on the temperature in the pilothouse with the windows closed. Today it was 93 degrees at 2 PM and the temperature inside was 102. At 4 PM, it was still 93 outside and the pilothouse was 110. I'll be comparing this with the temperatures after the window film installation and post them here. The film is Gila "cling" type titanium film instead of adhesive type, so removal and reuse is possible. Cost should be about 100 bucks. I'll be in touch.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

bobbymo
Your Vessel Info: 1989 Viking ACMY 44 ft
Twin DD 671TIB engines.
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 12 times

Re: Heat preventing window film.

Unread postby bobbymo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:22 am

Will be very interested in your results as always, Tex..........
Bobby Mo
M/V "Certifiable"
44 Viking
Jacksonville, FL

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 66 times

Unread postby scallywag » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:39 pm

Tex,

I have considered placing film on my west facing windows. In the summer I want the film. In the winter I want the sun to heat up the room. I am playing with the idea of placing the film on a piece of acrylic. That way I can shield the windows from the sun in the summer. By removing the acrylic, I can have the sun in the winter. Still thinking. Tex if you plan to do the loop, you will want the warmth in the summer.

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:07 pm

scallywag wrote:Source of the post Tex,

I have considered placing film on my west facing windows. In the summer I want the film. In the winter I want the sun to heat up the room. I am playing with the idea of placing the film on a piece of acrylic. That way I can shield the windows from the sun in the summer. By removing the acrylic, I can have the sun in the winter. Still thinking. Tex if you plan to do the loop, you will want the warmth in the summer.

Yes, exactly what I was thinking, and that's why I prefer the clingy type of application over the adhesive type. The instructions say that the film can be removed, stored, and reapplied at another time. I've already finished the window, removed the film and stored per instructions, and reapplied the next day. No issues. The second application seems a little easier than the first, with no stretch or distortion over the original application. It's so hot here right now that it's probably not a good idea to apply the film over 90° as it indicates in the instructions. It looks as if it might take me a while to do all the windows at an acceptable temperature.

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:03 pm

Do you have a thermometer heat gun? I picked one up from Harbor Freight. I have checked my engine temp. and my son checks the wheel bearings on his boat trailer. I did not know if my instrument gauge was reading properly. Maybe it would help when applying the film.

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:01 pm

Dang, Scal...,I didn't think of that and yes, I do have one. Thanks for the idea. I just got back from our local Harbor Freight with a couple more boat tools. I can never go to that place without spending.

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:45 pm

I bought some Gila today. I checked the temperature in the room this afternoon. 82 degrees with the ac cranking. Now to install the product. I did not know you have to buy the $9.00 kit.

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:24 pm

The Gila...Well the instructions are hidden in the roll of the material. Find the instructions because it explains that the window needs to be wet with the spray before the material is placed on the window. After the instructions were found the second window was a lot easier to apply. Be sure to cut the material at least 1/2 inch larger than the window glass. I have to wait to see if there is a temperature difference. Save the backing because that is what you roll the film onto to save.

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:53 pm

So far, I haven't had any difficulty with installation, but even after a lot of focus of smoothing out any air bubbles and wrinkles, I'm not sure I'm happy with the slight level of distortion. I have one side done.....temp difference is good.

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:05 am

I think there is only a slight decrease in the heat in the room. Today, I am measuring the heat difference again. I think Capt. Force has the right idea about heading North during the summer. A bigger help might be to put something on or covering the roof of the pilot house. A lot of sailboats have tarps covering their decks.

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:36 pm

I didn't get any more done yet, but tomorrow I take the Admiral out to make the final judgement about the Gila film. I dropped a line today to a fellow Krogen owner who fitted his boat with the clear 3M Galaxy heat control film and he says there is no distortion and he can't even tell the film is on the windows. That film would be a much higher cost. It may be back to the drawing board after the Admiral has her say.

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:27 am

If your friend is close, I would take a drive to see his windows. I did not see any distortion but my wife says she sees distortion.

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:47 pm

OK, the Admiral nixed the Gila film.....too much distortion. We spent 5 boat bucks for those windows and she wants them distortion free, or at least as much as possible. I'm going to try the high-buck 3M clear stuff on one window and compare.

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:08 pm

The film did not reduce the realty heat. We pulled the shades before and still do when the sun is in the West. Maybe canvas covering the outside of the windows will do just as well. Do your forward facing windows open? If they do, you could take off the canvas when cruising and keep the bridge cool with the open windows. Just a thought.

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 132 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:32 pm

scallywag wrote:Source of the post ...........
................ I think Capt. Force has the right idea about heading North during the summer. .................

Well, that did work well for 13 years, but this summer we've remained in Jacksonville where I'm still refitting with new projects. Right now I'm installing new opening aft cabin ports.

Nancie and I were looking at some artfully installed window tint yesterday. There was an exotic array of bubbles of all shapes. I saw the shape of a duck and a conestoga wagon and Nancie spotted a unicorn. You might want to reconsider attempting to get rid of all the bubbles, after all, what would you do on a cloudless day!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Return to “All Things Money For Liveaboards”