Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Buying in the current depressed market.

Choosing the boat that's right for you is much more involved than choosing a neighborhood and house. Ask you questions here!

Topic author
Durian
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Buying in the current depressed market.

Unread postby Durian » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:31 am

Arising from a discussion on another topic, I am wondering how many cheap sailboats are there out there, and what is the amount that the asking price can be knocked down?
I would be interested in the 28 foot size with ten foot beam as a starting point as far as size goes. Prefer deck stepped mast. Priced at, say, under ten grand asking price. Not that I am ready to buy right now....just need to do the research first.
Up here in Nova Scotia, the prices are generally about 2 grand more than in Florida, and in some cases might be as much as ten grand more asking price. Bear in mind though that the boats here are only half time used compared with those in warmer places, as they spend 8 month winters up on dry land.
I am sure that there are boats around that have been for sale and forgotten for a long time, often with the for sale sign removed by the wind over time. Or tucked away in a corner somewhere, and accepted as part of the scenery. Covered with rotting tree leaves. Whatever.
I know also that there are sometimes giveaways, where the storage room is needed. A case of beer or 40 ouncer might be all that is needed. Then the sizes/specs become less important!
What I am trying to find out, I guess, is what are the chances of me finding a cheapie if I was visiting Florida or even other eastern seaboard states for a few weeks?

Thanks,
John
I like my new boat, it works really well,
And I sold my old boat, the living hell.
The work is now improvement,
To make it even better,
Then the Admiral will take over,
But only if I let 'Er.

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 138 times

Re: Buying in the current depressed market.

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:51 am

It's easy enough to search online. After reading your post I took a look at "Craigslist Jacksonville Fl Sailboats" and found a 30' Catalina with an asking price of $4,000. Sure, it's cosmetically ugly. - rainwater inside... engine may not run ..... , but with a 2k offer it could turn into something worthwhile. I'm not favoring this boat, but it came up with a 30 second search and there were 100 more that I didn't look at.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
Durian
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Unread postby Durian » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:59 am

Hmmmm, can it be as easy as that? Holy Smoke. What was more interesting to me is that I did a quick search and came up with three possible boats and two of them looked livable as-is. That would seem to indicate that I if get into the locality for maybe two weeks, I would be likely to be able to consider more than just a single boat. And that is without looking in the back corners of boatyards like I was expecting.
I kind of like the idea of planning for a possible longish stay.
The prices of older outboards are good too.
It might be interesting for me to monitor that Craigslist site, and watch out for repeat ads a few weeks or days apart that have the price dropped.
Looks like the selling attitude there is that a boat is a liability as well as an asset.

Thanks for that, so simple it makes me look silly!

John
I like my new boat, it works really well,
And I sold my old boat, the living hell.
The work is now improvement,
To make it even better,
Then the Admiral will take over,
But only if I let 'Er.

Cool Beans

Unread postby Cool Beans » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:25 pm

Wow, had to look on a map to see where you are located. . .I had no idea you were just east of Maine. I thought you up farther north.

What kind of difficulties are there in buying from the US? Just a quick search on YatchWorld, here is a Catalina 30 for $6500

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/Ca ... ted-States

Just as an example, YW can be a good place to look as well for inexpensive boats. Just have to put in the correct search parameters ;)

Be careful buying in Florida, you might not want to leave!
The Perfect is the enemy of the Good

Return to “Choosing The Right Boat”