Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Maintenance costs???

Choosing the boat that's right for you is much more involved than choosing a neighborhood and house. Ask you questions here!

Topic author
outtoseethesea

Maintenance costs???

Unread postby outtoseethesea » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:18 pm

I am thinking about living aboard when I retire in several more years. I have some questions for all you who live aboard and welcome your expertise. Currently I am thinking about a power boat in the 40' range. I am also considering living full time in a Class A motorhome. Doing research on both right now.

My question is regarding maintenance costs. What could annual maintenance costs run a year for a 40' boat? I am not mechanically inclined. Also, from what I have read it seems that live aboard marinas are hard to find. Wondering if there will even be marinas that allow live aboards in a couple of years in Florida. I live on the west coast of Florida and plan on staying here. Has anyone ever went from living on a boat to a class a motorhome or the other way around? If you have, how do the maintenance costs compare between the two?

Thanks for your help!

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Re: Maintenance costs???

Unread postby scallywag » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:49 pm

Rule of thumb---10% of the purchase price for a new boat. Slips run $18.00 a foot plus a live aboard charge. Some marinas are less $ and some are more. Some marinas charge for electric. A RV park would equate to a marina. Engine and battery maintenance would be about the same. Hauling the boat for bottom paint costs depend on the boat yard. The motor home needs roof maintenance.

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 210 times

Re: Maintenance costs???

Unread postby tex » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:35 pm

I've had both and RV and a Boat at 36ft. that are both capable of living aboard. Since I do my own maintenance on either, I may not know much about the actual cost to get someone else to do it, but I can tell you that my labor was about half as much on the motor home as on the boat, and the parts cost on the motor home per year may have been less than 30 percent of the boat. It's true that you can buy either one and just park it without taking care of it, but while your motor home might eventually get a flat tire or seized brakes or even a rotten roof from sitting in Florida, your boat might sink from the same lack of care. Both have house-like systems aboard that break and need service or replacement, but as long as a boat sits in the water, it requires the care of bilge pumps, wiring, batteries, hoses and electrical items to keep it afloat.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Choosing The Right Boat”