Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Flexible sealant for seam in fiberglass roof ???

ImageDiscuss boat maintenance and repair issues here.

Topic author
nopeda
Your Vessel Info: 43' Lazy Days houseboat
Has Liked: 1 time

Flexible sealant for seam in fiberglass roof ???

Unread postby nopeda » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:54 pm

I have a '68 Lazy Days houseboat with a fiberglass roof. I replaced a section that was rotting, from side to side and about 4 feet from back to front, replacing the plywood beneath and new rafters/joists then covered it with new cloth and West Marine resin. It all cured out very well and I covered the new section overlapping and also covered the old section that was still good to cover spider cracks and it all seemed great. But! After a while the section I replaced being about 1/16" or so lower and tending to flex a tiny bit caused a crack in the fiberglass between the old and new section. I applied more resin and it looked great again. But! After a while there was that crack again. So? Can you folks suggest a dependable flexible product to cover the crack with that will last for years and can be painted over? I was thinking the 3M 5200 through hull caulk might be a good choice. Or maybe White Lightning 3006 40 year caulk. Or are there better products you people can recommend that I have no idea about?

Thank you for any help with this!

David
Buford, GA USA
Attachments
roof1.jpg

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 132 times

Re: Flexible sealant for seam in fiberglass roof ???

Unread postby CaptForce » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:09 pm

The 5200 can be a functional choice, but not the best permanent fix. I would suggest that you take a grinder and bevel or fare the sides of the crack out to about two inches on each side of the split. If the crack allows the opportunity for resin to drip all the way through, the next step would be to apply a fibrous epoxy filler to seal the opening and trowel smooth on the underside. Then place a strengthening strip or two of fiberglass cloth onto the beveled seam. When this is remaining just a little "tacky" you can fill the remaining dip along the seam with some finishing resin. I used to like the C-flex epoxy for a final coat to paint over. Be sure to sand off the high spots before it cures to form a "rock" and gives you extra work.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Return to “Maintenance and Repairs”