Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thinking about this induction cooktop for the boat

Recipes, advice, appliances and more. Just because you might have a small galley doesn't mean you can't cook big!

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 221 times

Thinking about this induction cooktop for the boat

Unread postby tex » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm always looking for new ideas to save energy. What ye think about this portable induction cooktop. I recall Capt. Mike really liking the induction type of cooking in his boat galley. Could be a cheap way to try it out.

http://www.nuwavecooktop.com/?ref_versi ... TwAAA#back
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

skipper68

Re: Thinking about this induction cooktop for the boat

Unread postby skipper68 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:11 pm

I love the commercial. And the buy one get one free is even better.
My old Princess 3 burner with the rotisserie is still working great, but I would think the power savings would be worth it. It's like a magnet of some sort, I am thinking?
Of course I have thrown out 2 George Formans, so I might not be the best judge. ;)
Also, I am a pan murderess. :D
Let us know how you like it.
:lol: Who is this "Moderation" everyone keeps telling me to drink with?!? :roll:

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 87 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:23 am

Tex, you talking about Capt Mike in Nashville???
I met him a couple of years ago when we were there visiting our son.
He had just installed a induction stovetop and I was super impressed by it.
Turn the burner on... Put your hand on it...No heat
He then put a pot with water on the burner and it came on instantly and the water was boiling in well under a minute....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:30 pm

Yeah, Capt. Mike with the 103 footer! Actually, I've invited him aboard here several times but to no avail. I miss his comments.

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 87 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:14 pm

And he was looking an ever bigger one at the time !!!!
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm not sure how you power boaters deal with 110/120 electric, but I asked if it used batteries, and it has to be plugged in.

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:08 pm

Easy, Helen. The vast majority of us either have a 110 volt generator and/or an inverter with a big house battery bank that will invert the 12 volt battery power to 110. Even on your Compac, you could mount a solar panel and a good sized car battery with a small inverter, and use the battery power to run some small systems. While living in the Dominican Republic, I had a 500 watt inverter and two six volt group 24 batteries that I used when the electric went off (all the time). I could run my TV for hours with those two batteries. I'm not sure how many watts this little induction range uses yet, but typically, heating (resistance) elements are notorious for using energy I keep a Kil-o-Watt amp meter on the boat just to measure the usage of various appliances.

CapTim

Unread postby CapTim » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:49 am

We use this burner. It works great... so great that, combined with a little electric oven that nuwave makes, we use them exclusively in our galley. The very high cooking efficiency of the units mean that cooking time is drastically reduced, as is the amount of ambient heat that enters the cabin. (Admittedly, that second part isn't so much of a benefit this time of year...)

The burner uses 800 watts AC, so using an inverter is an option but cooking for 30 minutes means about 100 amps of 12vdc storage.. it's a number that requires planning. We have a honda 2000, and it does a fine job of running two burners or one burner and the stove or one burner and the television/wii... you get the idea.

Our Fagor pressure cooker is induction ready anyway, so that worked like a champ. When we want to, we can make dinner in no time. Also, it's worth noting that all cast iron is induction ready, as well, if you are into that.

Anyway, we really like our new all-electric galley. And removing the old 'real' stove left a lot of room for sliding shelves, which is handy.

ka8uet

Unread postby ka8uet » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:39 pm

My mom has an induction stove in her condo. She loves it. It does cook faster. What she likes is that, since we are both sort of klutzy, it won't burn you if you touch the burner.

wbnevill

Unread postby wbnevill » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:25 am

Been using this induction cook top for about a week (the ones you see in the infomercials). So far, so good. They do get hot however--the hot pan transfers heat to the cook top. They also have a small blower to keep their electronics cool. Some may find the blower noise objectionable.

wbnevill

Unread postby wbnevill » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:28 am

Oh yes, and they have no OFF. They sort of arc when you plug them in. They seem to draw just enough current to keep their display lit.

ka8uet

Unread postby ka8uet » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:39 pm

I think I would not plug it in until I was ready to use it. Or I would put it on a power strip and use that to turn it off. I hate phantom loads!

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:59 pm

Great feedback.....can't wait try one of these, although if I know my Admiral, it will have to be a high-quality German brand. She da boss.

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 70 times

Unread postby scallywag » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:36 pm

Tex or anyone, When you purchase one of those things please let us know the number of watts. I have an inverter rated at 1000 watts. We also see the infomercials. I did see the post about 800 watts.

Dot and John

Return to “Cooking Aboard”