Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Different way to Slow cook

Recipes, advice, appliances and more. Just because you might have a small galley doesn't mean you can't cook big!

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 87 times

Different way to Slow cook

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:19 pm

I saw this on Facebook on ka8uet's page...

The Wonderbag Will Change The Way You Slow-Cook Forever (VIDEO) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/0 ... 32485.html

The Huffington Post | By Rebecca Orchant
Posted: 01/02/2014 11:26 pm EST

Sometimes innovations in cooking seem like they're only for chefs, or at the very least people with the coin to drop on an immersion circulator. Rarely does something hit the market that is affordable, amazing, brand new and totally practical for the home cook. That is exactly how we'd describe the Wonderbag.

Originally invented by founder Sarah Collins in South Africa with the intention of conserving cooking energy in developing nations, this cordless, power-free, gas-free slow cooker might just change the way we slow-cook forever. Although our slow cookers are tried and true instruments in our kitchen, the notion of leaving an electrical appliance running hot while we sleep or leave our homes has always made us a little nervous, to be honest. The Wonderbag removes that worry, saves electricity and -- the best part -- actually works. You start anything you cook in the Wonderbag on the stove (recipes range from beef stew to oatmeal to greens and beyond), bringing your pot to a boil for around five minutes. Turn off the heat, seal the pot and pop it in the Wonderbag for your desired amount of time. A tender beef stew will take about four hours, but you can leave your food in the Wonderbag for up to 12 hours without it falling below a safe temperature.

We got our hands on a Wonderbag and I was so excited to try it that I couldn't pick a recipe from their website. I decided to go rogue and see if I could make a solid vegetable stock in this thing. I followed my usual method -- which involves a freezer bag full of vegetable scraps, herbs, a pot full of water and seasonings -- but once the pot had come to a rolling boil for five minutes, I turned off the heat and transferred the sealed pot to the Wonderbag and left it on my kitchen counter. I'll admit to experiencing a healthy amount of skepticism: to me, a simmering pot is the sign of something that will taste good. But, after four hours, I opened up my Wonderbag to reveal a rich, flavorful stock, that was about twice the volume it would have been if it simmered away on the stove all day (because the Wonderbag conducts a sealed, insulated heat, there is little to no evaporation).

So it saves energy, time, worry and actually works. But there's actually still more good news: for every Wonderbag purchased via Amazon in the U.S. (for $50), a Wonderbag will be donated to a family in need in Africa. There aren't a lot of kitchen appliances we can think of that have quite as much impact on the rest of the world. If you end up getting one, let us know how you're using it. We can't wait to discover more tricks.
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Boatbound

Re: Different way to Slow cook

Unread postby Boatbound » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:32 pm

Very cool! I found this video on how to make your own but it also has a link to recipes. She had a great idea to put the bag in a tote..thought that might be very helpful on a boat to keep it from tipping if you rock too much. Check it out..http://youtu.be/hXyyytHCP5U

tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 221 times

Unread postby tex » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:14 am

Gee Capt. Charlie: Sounds like the perfect solution for cooking some of that rot-gut fish you pull out from under the boat. :roll:
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

TheFairlaner

Unread postby TheFairlaner » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:53 am

That is very cool.

DeepThought
Your Vessel Info: still looking

Unread postby DeepThought » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:38 am

This isn't all that new, my grandparents used something similar (a haybox), and when camping as a kid in the scouts we had a huge haybox made from and old teachest that took a 5 gallon (iirc) pot, there was a caveat that you had to be certain that the pot was free from embers from the fire or the whole thing could catch fire (wooden box full of hay)...

I think these tended to be better the bigger they got - the old euclidean geometry thing, double a length and the area (over which heat is lost) increases x4 but volume (which contains the heat) goes up x8, but with modern insulating materials there is no problem.

google Haybox Cooking / Haybox cooker and you'll find lots of ideas.

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:46 pm

In fairness, Charlie, I decided that the price was too steep, and that I could use my insulated shopping bag the same way. I still think it's a good idea, but I'm sort of cheap.

mari04
Your Vessel Info: Living in a lifeboat is a life long dream.

Unread postby mari04 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:44 am

For the slow cook I used Dutch oven for making soup because it has the benefit from the low-and-slow cooking. It’s a perfect oven for making soup.

Return to “Cooking Aboard”