Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

FRESH FISH Dinner

Recipes, advice, appliances and more. Just because you might have a small galley doesn't mean you can't cook big!

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 87 times

FRESH FISH Dinner

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:56 am

FRESH FISH dinner
Caught redfish at 3:30pm
Filleted at 4:15 pm
Cooked and on the plates by 4:45pm
Attachments
277.jpg
276.jpg
326.jpg
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 183 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Re: FRESH FISH Dinner

Unread postby Robin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:27 am

Wow, now that looks like 'proper' fish such as we used to get back in the UK, cannot get seafood fresh enough here in Fla ( that I was told was the seafood capital of the world) unless our friendly diver neighbour takes pity on us and donates some of his catch. Even the most recommended fish markets locally sell fish that smells and tastes well.... 'fishy' and the same in the restaurants. Publix fish counters round here don't need signs because you can easily follow your nose to them from 6 aisles away. Fish should not smell of anything except maybe fresh sea air. [/RANT]
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 221 times

Unread postby tex » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:23 am

Well, I gotta agree with you on one point, Robin. The supermarkets are no place to buy fish if you want fresh. But I can't figure why you can't get fresh fish from the docks at Daytona. Even in Miami, fresh off the boat is easy if you know where to go. Same thing here in Sarasota. Don't you have early-bird fish boats coming into the Marina area or over at J & J.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.

Unread postby Robin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:22 am

we have two fish markets locally, have had good and bad results from both, but our only consistent excellent source is our diver friend who brings us occasional lobster, red snapper and flounder although we (visiting kids) did catch flounder off our condo dock once that was good. It seems the commercial places leave their wares just sitting on ice for as long as it takes to get sold and the frozen stuff from up north is left to defrost in it's own smelly water. We used to eat local fish 5 nights a week where we lived in the UK all from local 'day' fishing boats but even the supermarket fish counters had good fish often on sale so we bought in bulk and froze for later use in famine periods. We had excellent crab ( like your Dungeness crab not the Dangerous Catch stuff), superb lobster which we bought ready cooked from a lobster boat that had their own store on the dock selling their wares. WE love SEa Bass ( nothing like the ones here, more like maybe striped bass), Dover Sole, halibut, but caught in cold northern waters and shipped south on ice), then there were mackerel that we caught in dozens off the boat,

We have actually found better fish/shellfish on sale in Indiana in the past, than we find locally. This is sauteed Sea Bass fillets, with new baby potatoes asparagus and grilled tomatoes
]Image[/url

This is a shellfish selection served cold, langoustines, prawns (shrimp to you), and cockles

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 165 times
Been Liked: 71 times

Unread postby RTB » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:26 pm

The nice thing about the marina here is there are quite a few people that fish. One of my dock neighbors just gave me two fish. I have filleted them, and my wife is preparing to cook them up.

I have a few "pets" that visit our boat regularly. So, how are sheepshead for eatin? I looked at some youtube video that says they are good to eat. My problem is....they like to chomp on barnacles that find their way onto my boat's bottom. Maybe I should leave them to their work?

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Jaxfishgyd
Been Liked: 87 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Sheepshead are GREAT EATING FISH.......
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Thanks. Our pets might be in trouble. :twisted:

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Been Liked: 149 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Hey, no disrespect for those with descriminating palates, but there's room for others to celebrate their low maintenance satisfaction.

Tuna: caught sometime last year in the Pacific and canned on the West Coast
Can: purchased from a local grocery store in march of this year
Found: near the back of my pantry shelf just this week
Opened: At noon today for mixing with mayonaise, onions and pickle relish
Served: On toast with lettuce and tomato by 12:15

(no photos required) Ahhh...... bon apetite!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 221 times

Unread postby tex » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:08 pm

The thing that concerns me most about a fish dinner over at Jax's is that he usually catches them off the back of his boat, so that means it's been hanging around getting bloated-out on Jax's BBQ and grill left-overs? :roll:

When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Robin

Unread postby Robin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:36 am

When we lived on board our trawler full time we had a big Sheepshead that lived under the dock behind our slip, but he refused to be tempted by my dangled bait over several months, then we moved ashore and lost the chance, because he didn't follow us to the new dock that we moved to now to keep the sailboat on, maybe because it has a barnacle free bottom or he knows my fishing gear isn't on board yet. :)

HOWEVER< TO Look on the bright side our diver neighbor just brought us a huge lobster tail from one of several that he caught at midnight last night offshore somewhere with his buddies on the dive boat. So now we need to stop by the store ton buy some side accessories to go with it on the grill. Any ideas?? We have a little time to decide as I Just put it in the freezer to save for the weekend :D

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:58 pm

Robin wrote:So now we need to stop by the store ton buy some side accessories to go with it on the grill. Any ideas?? We have a little time to decide as I Just put it in the freezer to save for the weekend :D

A few suggestions - http://www.life123.com/food/main-course ... nner.shtml

The last time we had fresh lobster tails was in Bimini. We probably had a salad on the side, and plenty of wine.

The marina here had a fish fry a couple of weeks ago, and a shrimp boil last Saturday. Pretty nice for free!
Attachments
shrimp basket.jpg
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 70 times

Unread postby scallywag » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:49 pm

The more I here about that marina, the better it sounds. What will the winter bring?

Dot and John

Robin

Unread postby Robin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:25 pm

RTB wrote:
Robin wrote:So now we need to stop by the store ton buy some side accessories to go with it on the grill. Any ideas?? We have a little time to decide as I Just put it in the freezer to save for the weekend :D

A few suggestions - http://www.life123.com/food/main-course ... nner.shtml

The last time we had fresh lobster tails was in Bimini. We probably had a salad on the side, and plenty of wine.

The marina here had a fish fry a couple of weeks ago, and a shrimp boil last Saturday. Pretty nice for free!

Well we will probably grill some asparagus, a few sweet peppers and some sliced sweet potato on the grill with the lobster too and a fresh Caesar salad to start off. Might have some in a 5 grain Italian roll with some dressing as a gourmet lobster roll , plus we have a few fozen raw shrimp that might get added to the mix on the day. :D

w just got back from lunch at our local 'English' Pub, Black Sheep in Ormond Beach where we had the lunch special deep fried beer battered fish 'n chips, (or fries to the colonials, 'cos chips are called potato crisps where I hail from) This place has good fish and even has the requisite malt vinegar to go with it, now If he could only do a few minted garden peas and serve a couple of pickled shallots with it as well it could be perfection. :lol:

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:45 pm

scallywag wrote:The more I here about that marina, the better it sounds. What will the winter bring?

Dot and John

It's probably going to get COLD! We plan to move farther south, at least to the Rockport/Port Aransas area (about 150 miles south).
Possibly, even down to Port Isabel (about another 150 miles south) on the Texas/Mexico border (south Padre Island). I just can't get good info on the few marinas there.

Hope things are going great in St. Augustine! Say hi to Dot.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

RTB

Unread postby RTB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Robin - Sounds like a great meal planned. Making my mouth water!

We need to check out the pub there. We spent 3 1/2 years in England years ago. We love proper fish n chips. And I found a few British beers that I took a Liken to... We have anchored out in Daytona a couple of times, but always on the go. We never went ashore there. Hopefully on our next trip up the east coast, you guys will give us some suggestions about where to stop, and what to see.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

s/v FUGUE

Return to “Cooking Aboard”