Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Actually using the Galley

Recipes, advice, appliances and more. Just because you might have a small galley doesn't mean you can't cook big!

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 221 times

Actually using the Galley

Unread postby tex » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:16 pm

My Admiral and I have our first living "together" aboard experience coming up in February. It will be the first time we're actually using the Galley for the way it was meant to be used. Typically, I only use a one-burner electric counter top unit when cooking for myself, or maybe the micro from time to time, but I haven't had the propane stove-top lit in three years and never the oven. We'll have to be stocking food, washing dishes, organizing for space, etc..

Meanwhile, I'll be collecting recipes for the Croc Pot and checking the electric load on a new Steam Cooker we've had sitting idle on our kitchen counter for a while. I'd like to eliminate the propane oven, but some say don't. Anybody use a propane stove/oven?
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 149 times

Re: Actually using the Galley

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:28 am

Of course we use our propane oven. Where else can you store the sauce pans and their lids?
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 221 times

Unread postby tex » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:20 pm

My old, orginal stove is a rusty heap. I can probably get it to work again, but there's something about lighting the oven that gives me the willies. I've seen a later model Force 10 stove that is very clean for about 600 bucks. That's less than half price of a new one, and it will fit the space of the old one. The other choice would be to go electric, but I hate running the genset.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 87 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:42 pm

We cook 75% of the food on the aft deck. I have a gas BBQ, an electric "7 in 1" griddler unit and a coleman 2 burner stove up there.....
In the galley, there is your basic electric 3 burner princess stove/oven/broiler along with the slow cooker unit and microwave...Along with the 11 cubic ft refrig/freezer....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Misfit Wookiee

Unread postby Misfit Wookiee » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:16 am

We have this slow cooker book:

http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Cooker-Revolution-Americas-Kitchen/dp/1933615699/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443190365&sr=8-1&keywords=crock+pot+revolution

...and we love it. The Bachelor Beef Stew recipe is soooo easy to make I hesitate to call it cooking.

Saw that they have a sequel that's focused on easy prep, maybe better for liveaboard use (we're not on the water yet):

http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Cooker-Revolution-2-Easy-Prep/dp/1936493578/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443190365&sr=8-2&keywords=crock+pot+revolution

We'll probably get this one as well.

Cool Beans

Unread postby Cool Beans » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 am

When I redid my galley, I sold the oven portion of an Origo combo unit and kept the stove top. Alcohol does a mighty fine job cooking 8-)
The Perfect is the enemy of the Good

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 183 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby Robin » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:10 pm

Cool Beans wrote:When I redid my galley, I sold the oven portion of an Origo combo unit and kept the stove top. Alcohol does a mighty fine job cooking 8-)

As long as you have patience! Be aware the flame is not always visible too, especially if some gets spilled. Properly installed propane suits me fine but then I was brung up where gas ( butane or propane ) paranoia is much less :) .
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Return to “Cooking Aboard”