Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anyone use a pressure cooker on board?

Recipes, advice, appliances and more. Just because you might have a small galley doesn't mean you can't cook big!

Topic author
Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 183 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Anyone use a pressure cooker on board?

Unread postby Robin » Fri May 22, 2015 9:47 am

when we lived and sailed in the Uk we found a small pressure cooker ideal as an on board cook pot with a tight lid for rough weather use but that we also used for some easy to do meals in harbour like Coq au vin ( chicken in red wine) and Bouef Borguignon (beef in red wine)

We are just now putting the cruising 'stuff' on board and thought that a 4 quart stainless steel Presto pressure cooker would make an excellent stock pot come spaghetti pan so ordered one on sale at amazon,specifically to keep/use on the boat.

So then, who else has a pressure cooker on board, (for cooking not canning), and if so do you have any good recipes to pass on please?
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 70 times

Re: Anyone use a pressure cooker on board?

Unread postby scallywag » Fri May 22, 2015 12:22 pm

We have not used a pressure cooker for ages. We do use an electric slow cooker.

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 149 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Fri May 22, 2015 12:26 pm

A "ditto" of the scallywag response from us.....
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.

Unread postby Robin » Fri May 22, 2015 6:48 pm

[url][/url]we don't have a generator on this boat other than a little Honda 1Kw so ours is for cooking on the propane stove when we are away from shore power, i believe what is called a stove top pressure cooker

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41InBcZsYjL.jpg

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 87 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:34 pm

I do have a pressure cooker that I use 'fairly often'.. AKA, in the wintertime but use a slow cooker more often..... But we still do most of our cooking on the boat BBQ all year round...
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:03 am

As I said, we don't have a generator other than a 1Kw Honda and a 2Kw inverter to run appliances other than briefly, when away from shore power AC. ON a sailboat a deep pot is useful for all sorts and especially underway heeled to an angle perhaps or bucking up and down. The tight lid of a stovetop pressure cooker and it's ability to cook things in double quick time is especially useful and it use but one of the two gas stove burners too. We have already used it to cook braised delicious lamb shanks in red wine with potatoes, onions, carrots and cauliflower, all done in just 35 minutes.

WE used one whilst sailing in Europe where they are common on boats and I just wondered if they were used here if anyone had any recipes we could add to our repertoire. We used to do Coq au Vin( chicken in red wine), lamb shanks, Bouef bourgoignon ( beef in red wine) and know we can do whole chickens or meat roasts too and it does cheap cuts of meat very well making them really tender and low cost is good. I have found various recipes on line and U-tube for meat loaf, and basic meats and poultry, as well as a variety of soups and stews. Other than that we too will use our Magma gas grill out on the aft deck,

Binford

Unread postby Binford » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:45 pm

Haven't used the pressure cooker on the boat, but the speedy cooking that it does sounds like just the thing for life aboard. Never thought of the rough-water friendly tight lid benefit either.

While I don't have any recipes to share, I would love it if you would post your chicken, beef and lamb recipes for us! I'd like to test-cook those at home.
-- Tim Taylor

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:29 am

I cheated and stole my recipes from others, and if you do a search on u-tube youwill find many options. The basic method is similar, you need an adequate but not excessive amount of liquid, which can be water, stock, beer (Guinness is good) or wine. we use red wine, usually Walmart's Oakleaf Cabernet Sauvignon at $2.98 a bottle (but that does several meals) for beef chunks in 'boeuf bourguignon' and chicken pieces for 'coq au vin' and for braised lamb shanks, I added root vegetables like smallish (whole) potatoes, peeled carrots and small onions or shallots. I have even added cauliflower florets. You Can pretty well make up your own recipes as it is not rocket science. I have now bought a few pressure cooker recipe books with a few more ideas but have not tested anything much from them yet as we are not currently cruising far from home facilies. If you look at recipes, bear in mind there are timing differences between stove top pressure cookers like we have and the more common modern automatic electric ones that you see advertised on TV daily

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:36 pm

To add to this reply the basic method is to 'brown' the meat in a little oil ( we do it in the pressure cooker so not to dirty another pan) with big bits like lamb shanks or chicken quarters we might do them one or two at a time then remove them temporarily whilst finishing others, then add the other stuff like a selection of suitable herbs and the chosen cooking liquid We generally include a stock cube as well (We use OXO beef ones mostly but they are British and hard to find here), THEN bring the pan contents to boiling, fit and close the lid, await steam exiting the little steam valve then close the vent and start timing, generally somewhere around 20-30 minutes. once the time is up you can either reduce the pressure fast under running water or sat in a bowl/sink of water or turn off the heat let it reduce naturally, when some of course cooking is still taking place. Better explanations are available on u-tube or online recipe sites. All pressure has to be reduced before removing the lid and beware of hot steam.

It is not necessary to submerge all the ingredients in the cooking liquid, indeed we sometimes add a steamer basket or fan steamer over the main stuff and put some veggies there as well, better for fragile stuff like cauliflower or broccoli florets.

BTW if on opening you think the food is not cooked enough, simply refit the lid, bring to pressure again and give a bit more time. LIkwise you can choose to add some things part way through if you wish to cook them for less time. I like the one pot/one time approach for simplicity however on board.

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:13 pm

Robin, there is a forum on Facebook called Cooking on a Boat. There are a lot of pressure cooker recipes there, and slow cooker ones as well. One of the big advantages of the pressure cooker, of course, is that, since it is faster, it uses less gas, which is obviously a consideration offshore! I also like that I need not heat up the galley as much. And, since I singlehand, it can cook whilst I sail.

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:17 am

ka8uet wrote:Robin, there is a forum on Facebook called Cooking on a Boat. There are a lot of pressure cooker recipes there, and slow cooker ones as well. One of the big advantages of the pressure cooker, of course, is that, since it is faster, it uses less gas, which is obviously a consideration offshore! I also like that I need not heat up the galley as much. And, since I singlehand, it can cook whilst I sail.

Thx I will get the boss to look, I don't do Facebook myself, but she does. I suspect, since you mentioned slow cookers as well, that many of the recipes will be for electric pressure cookers and slow cookers, fine if you have a generator, less so if not. Certainly cooking quickly minimises the heating of the galley and saves gas plus only using one burner a benefit if like us you only have 2 plus the oven. When we start getting about for longer I suspect we will also use the gas BBQ on the stern too, again saving heat build up below. In the past we were glad of the pressure cooker at sea for it's closed top keeping control of the contents in in bad weather used simply as a big sealed cookpot, even useful in a rolly anchorage! Of course cats may have fewer problems than half boats. :roll: another advantage is if you leave it sealed, the contents keep uncontaminated (sterile even) until ready to be used, so something like a pot of chili could be made before departure in the morning say and quickly reheated on arrival at a new anchorage that evening, no refrigeration needed.

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:31 am

Robin, I'm not familiar with electric pressure cookers. Since it is Cooking on a Boat, I doubt that any of them use electric ones, either. Just the plain ordinary put it on the burner pot. Now I've see electric things that claim to be a pressure cooker/slow cooker/ grill/oven/whatever combinations. Lots of money. Not getting one.

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:25 pm

Practicing on our 'home' one I jcooked home made from scratch creamy tomto soup this week. 3.5lbs of Walmart cheap fresh plum tomatoes for $!.48/lb, an onion, a few herbs from store cupboard stock, a few mint leaves from my neighbour's herb garden, a blob or two of fat free Philadelphia cheese , sprinkle of parmesan cheese and a drizzle ofcream ( Actually half and half) and a mint leaf to garnish on serving. Onion chopped and sauteed a few mins in the pressure cooker bottom with a little garlic an olive oil. Tomtoes halved and simply dec-cored with a vee cut then cut into chunks. added to the cooker with some Italian herbs, bit of salt, pepper, 2 cups of chicken broth, plain water would do. brought to pressure and cooked for 10 minutes on high pressure setting pressure released and the resulting 'stew' then blended with a stick blender in the pressure cooker but off the heat.

Absolutely delicious, made enough for 4 large bowls so had 2 ne day (me and the boss) and another 2 next day. Basil instead of mint would be good but darn my neighbour he didn't have any in his garden pot.

Today we made a pressure cooked meatloaf and vegetables one pot meal in 10 minutes. Theresa's normal meat loaf ingredients (1.5lbs of10% fat ground sirloin, onion soup powder, raw egg, chopped onion, bread crumb, ketchup and some seasoning, like Italian, salt and black pepper.) Red potatoes scrubbed and quartered and placed with some whole large carrots in the bottom of the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water, cooker brought to pressure and cooked just 10 minutes on high pressure. scrumptious, fast and easy, little heat put into home or boat, little gas used on boat, or this case leccy at home. meat loaf mix formed into an armadillo shape and placed on a steaming tray/basket in the pressure cooker. result is a moist masterpiece, had half today and will have the other half tomorrow with some cauliflower florets probably. makes nice sandwiches too if any left (unlikely) You could double up the ingredients and make two if they still fit in the cooker steamer basket, probably need a little more water in the cooker bottom and cook for longer, say 15-20 minutes, this we did first time but our boat cooker is a 6 quart size whereas the home one is an 8 quart, so today we did the smaller 1,5lb loaf in 10 minutes version.

tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 221 times

Unread postby tex » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:31 pm

Oh Man...Robin. That's my kind of eating and so quick! I'm going to try that recipe exactly the same way!
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:22 pm

tex wrote:
> Oh Man...Robin. That's my kind of eating and so quick! I'm going to try that recipe
> exactly the same way!

if your pressure cooker is electric very probably the cook times will need to be adjusted upwards, mine is a stove top model with 15 psi high pressure. There are plenty of recipes on line via Mr Google and several books, I found 4 that have good stuff easy to do in a small galley, easier still at home.

Return to “Cooking Aboard”