Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Linguini turkeynaise (pasta tomato based sauce)

Recipes, advice, appliances and more. Just because you might have a small galley doesn't mean you can't cook big!

Topic author
Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 183 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Linguini turkeynaise (pasta tomato based sauce)

Unread postby Robin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:29 pm

New invention , didn't know what to call it. It is our basic 'house' Spaghetti Bolognaise but with the ground beef swapped for ground turkey.

Saute 1 whole finely chopped onion, some garlic or garlic paste, small tub of whole white mushrooms, chopped, in a pan with a little extra virgin oilive oil until the onion is translucent, add about 3/4 lb of lean ground turkey, broken up as it goes in ( I use Jennio from walmart) crumble a beef or chicken stock dry cube ( optional) into the pan, add a teaspoon of medium madras curry powder, 2 tspns oregano, 2 tspns of Italian seasoning, good splash of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, small tin of cooked whole plum tomatoes,but break them up once added, small tin of sweetcorn, small tin of tomato paste (ketchup works in an emergency) ,2 tspn of sugar or sweetener. 1 tspn of salt ( I use salt substitute) tspn of ground black pepper, cook until all flavours are blended together, taste and season more if needed. make enough pasta of choice to suit according to pack instructions, I use half a pack of spaghetti or tagliatelli ( Barilla brand), boil in plenty of salted ('noSalt', salt substitute for me) water with a little olive oil added to prevent pasta sticking togerther, boil to a tad under al dente about 8 minutes, then drain and add the pasta to the sauce to finish off cooking there, mixed in well, and absorb the flavours. Serve with grated parmesan, genuine imported is way best not the made in Wisconsin soap copy. This is an easy meal on board or at home, cheap, and healthier than using red meat For those not under doctors orders it can be converted to Robin's 'Spag Bol', (Spaghetti Bolgnaise) by swapping the ground turkey for ground beef, my choice is 10% fat/ 90% fat free ground sirloin from wally world ( Publix version not so good) The beef version was a regular for me in the UK at home or afloat, but I was surprised how good the turkey version was when I tried it and also how the same ground turkey made verygood turkey burgers too. Now I can tell fewer lies to the medics....
Last edited by Robin on Mon May 02, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 165 times
Been Liked: 71 times

Re: tagliatelli turkeynaise (pasta tomato based sauce)

Unread postby RTB » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:40 pm

Ummmm.........mouth watering! I'll pass this on to the chef on board (but she already make some mighty tasty spaghetti). Thanks for the recipe.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 221 times

Unread postby tex » Sun May 01, 2016 9:38 pm

I love my spaghetti bolognese. I might try this recipe this week. Thanks for sharing.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.

Re: Linguini turkeynaise (pasta tomato based sauce)

Unread postby Robin » Sun May 01, 2016 10:42 pm

Tex, I told it a little wrong but doubt it makes a difference. It was actually linguine I used not tagliatelli, scusi per favore :o It is on the menu again here tomorrow too, using the rest of the linguini pack i picked out in error, which I actually preferred..
Last edited by Robin on Mon May 02, 2016 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Mon May 02, 2016 2:53 pm

Today's version came out like this! 8-) LINGUINE version

[imgImage20160502_141551 by Robin and Theresa, on Flickr][/img]
[imgImage20160502_140930 by Robin and Theresa, on Flickr][/img]

tex

Unread postby tex » Wed May 04, 2016 1:52 pm

Yeah, I think I prefer the linguini too, but either way, its gonna end up in my stomach!

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Wed May 04, 2016 6:17 pm

and linguini is just spaghetti flattened. ;)

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Thu May 05, 2016 9:07 pm

Sounds good. I use ground turkey all the time. Jennie O. Excellent. Don't buy ground beef any more. Don't buy much beef, period!

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Thu May 05, 2016 11:21 pm

we even tried turky breakfast sausage today and it was good.. I do like beef but my doctor keeps nagging about eliminating red meat. I think if she keeps it up I might eliminate herby switching to a different one. But I have to say we have come to like turkey hot dogs, turkey burgers, and now breakfastsausage and ground turkey for pasta dishes. My next trial will be doing Turkey meatloaf in the pressure cooker and I think it too may become a part of my repertoir, turkey is inexpensive, tastes good and keeps the witchdoctor away. :o

tex

Unread postby tex » Sun May 08, 2016 11:17 pm

I agree, Robin. I've substituted beef with turkey in most of my beef applications and when spiced correctly, it is nearly as satisfying. I should probably switch altogether. Meatloaf, burgers and pasta with meat sauce are three of my weaknesses. Even back in the 80's when I cooked for my vegetarian girlfriend, I'd sneak out once per week for a Wendy's triple. :roll: :lol:

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Mon May 09, 2016 9:25 am

I cooke it again last night and turkey burgers the night before. I will (almost) be able to look the witchdoctor in the eye next visit! :o Probably offset it by a stop by with a neighbour at Golden Coral last week and a good helping of their bourbon street chicken ( at least I stayed off their all-day breakfast bacon and away from the desserts. :lol:

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:16 am

Robin, I hate to spoil the fun, but I think dark meat turkey, as used in ground turkey is also considered red meat. Ask your doc.

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:05 am

ka8uet wrote:Source of the post Robin, I hate to spoil the fun, but I think dark meat turkey, as used in ground turkey is also considered red meat. Ask your doc.

I buy O-Jennio ground turkey breast,not dark meat, 1% fat, now in 1lb packs, use half for the pasta sauce and the other half makes two burgers for freezer stock for later. You are probably right about the dark meat turkey which is in the turkey breakfast sausage we do use occasionally for a breakfast type meal with sauted mushrooms and (poached) eggs. :)

tex

Unread postby tex » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:11 pm

I'm trying to satisfy my passion for Italian sausage hogies with peppers & onions with turkey. So far, OK but I need to figure out the spices....something missing.
Last edited by tex on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:36 pm

tex wrote:Source of the post I'm trying to satisfy my passion for Italian sausage higies with peoers & onions with turkey. So far, OK but I need to figure out the spices....something missing.

i thought i saw Italian turkey sausage from O-Jennio in the stores, not my thing so no idea other than noted them there. I like Jimmy Dean Sage sausage but the doc doesn't. The O-Jennio turkey sausage makes acceptable lower fat patties that are OK, they have some spices included and we do them cut about half inch thick on the George Forman ( ours is actually a GE one) style grill 4 mins on med high using the flat griddle plates option top and bottom and tested to 165F internal temp as advised.

Return to “Cooking Aboard”