Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

spinach turkey burgers

Recipes, advice, appliances and more. Just because you might have a small galley doesn't mean you can't cook big!

Topic author
Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 183 times
Been Liked: 69 times

spinach turkey burgers

Unread postby Robin » Sat May 21, 2016 5:03 pm

Another find in our efforts to reduce red meat consumption. Just tried these spinach turkey burgers and they were excellent, See Laura's video here \https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn20uhKnMyA She can come cook for me anytime but these burgers turned out brilliant. I made them using Walmart frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed to remove water. I made mine on a George Forman grill at home as a test but they would do just as well on the boat BBQ I followed her suggestion and made 8 bun sized half inch thick burgers from a whole 1,25lb pack of fresh jennio extra lean 1% fat ground turkey and a 1lb pack of Great Value frozen chopped spinach. We froze 4 for another day and ate 4 burgers today and they were truly delicious. I think fresh spinach would be as good but chopping that much up fine might be tedious. I added half a chopped onion using a magic choppper thing ( she grated her half an onion) and we served ours on whole grain buns with a thick slice of beef tomato and another thin slice of raw onion topped offwith a little homemade coleslaw I even had a fat free cheese slice on my bun too so feeling really virtuous for a weekend. I cooked ours on the electric George Foreman grill using the ribbed plates, set to medium high heat for 4 minutes with it closed, internal temp after4 minutes was 165/166F and the result was still very moist

Enjoy!
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 87 times

Re: spinach turkey burgers

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun May 22, 2016 7:25 am

Sadly, that actually sounds good.... :o
My admiral keeps trying "healthy food" on me and I find myself liking SOME of it..
(NOW I would add a pound of bacon to the burger with a big bowl of bbq beans and a plate of french fries as sides) :D
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.

Unread postby Robin » Sun May 22, 2016 12:01 pm

Both of us are supposedly on low fat diets and statins and every quack visit is filled with 'you need to' ..... It gets tiresome. Basically the instruction is 'if it has taste it is not allowed' :( She says no white rice, only whole grain bread, pasta etc. Oh and no salt. If it is coloured it is OK, white bread, whiterice is bad she says but that does not apply to red meat or white turkey/chicken meat. I actually like the ground turkey option to replace ground beef and we even have turkey breakfast sausage patties or links and like them Turkey bacon however sucks. Turkey hot dogs, Jennio ones, are good too, but I grill them on the George foreman and serve them sliced on a whole grain burger bun over a slice of fat free cheese, with a thin slice of raw onion and tomato slice on top and a dollop of my home made coleslaw ( made with low fat mayo, natch). At least we can say we are trying. Seems like getting older is a licence for the medics to become nasty bullies, probably on the principle of making their money from us before we die off. I even said one time there was no point in living an extra 10 years to eat garbage, that got me a real dirty look. :o

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 70 times

Unread postby scallywag » Sun May 22, 2016 12:53 pm

My Doc said to eat an apple for breakfast. The only time I eat healthy is when I go on a big ship cruise. Fruit for breakfast, fish for lunch, and dinner. They do not serve big portions of mac and cheese or potatoes. We have been eating a lot of bananas and cottage cheese for breakfast. Now she has me eating chicken. once in a great while I eat hamburgers. The Boss does not like ground beef in any form. Oh well. What can you do? :lol:

tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 221 times

Unread postby tex » Mon May 23, 2016 5:58 pm

Jaxfishgyd wrote:Source of the post
My admiral keeps trying "healthy food" on me and I find myself liking SOME of it..
(NOW I would add a pound of bacon to the burger with a big bowl of bbq beans and a plate of french fries as sides) :D

I'd be the last to say that Captain Charlie doesn't eat healthy, but he does experiment a lot with the BBQ. His failures often end up in the water and that's been a problem for the fish in the area of Captain Charlie's boat, as indicated in this recent photo of his Hatt 43! :o

When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon May 23, 2016 9:29 pm

227.jpeg
014.jpeg

I start out grilling meat... But we normally end up eating whats in the second picture
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Mon May 23, 2016 10:53 pm

OUr doc told Theresa, no krispy kremes,Doc said 'well maybe just one occasionally'. Theresa said 'how many people do you know that can eat just one krispy kreme?' :lol:

Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Tue May 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Brought home 2lbs of FRESH shrimp from the seafood shop( where I work a couple of days a week)today (I helped unload the shrimp boat, some of the shrimp were still kicking).... We're having FRESH SEAFOOD for dinner.........
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Tue May 24, 2016 11:08 pm

Fresh seafood sounds great, if only we could buy some locally that did not smell distinctly (or is it distinkly) 'fishy' :x Local Publix fish counter smell reaches the parking lot and even the fish markets smell we have a diver living nearby that occasionally gives us lobster tails, snapper, grouper or mahi mahi when he has been way out on a dive boat, that is good, but he is on a 3 month vacation right now. :cry:

Return to “Cooking Aboard”