Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Aythya Northbound Cruise 2015

From blue water to the back waters, discuss all things cruising in this forum.

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 215 times

Re: Aythya Northbound Cruise 2015

Unread postby tex » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Robin: I don't get it, ....my Admiral is an ex German Diplomat with nothing but the average German license. When she went to get her US license, she only had to take the written. The Practical had reciprocity.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 173 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby Robin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:01 am

The lady examiner said, Germans had a reciprocal deal as did Canadians, when I took my test but for some reason the UK did not. perhaps the US are nervous because Brits drive on the left of the road with the wheel on the right in the car? Can't understand it really since most locals here drive anywhere, middle left or right, regardless and they are certainly red green colour blind! I was behind a semi,a huge low loader stopped at some lights today. It sat there all through the green light period then moved off when the lights turned red! Much honking of horns from the cross traffic but no police... He was probably just finishing off the text message I expect.

Theresa had a US license that had lapsed but you would think there would still be a record somewhere, but they said not and she too had to take a full wriiten test and practical, no matter because it is easy enough

CRazy bit is that tourists can rent cars and drive on their home license unchallenged. I
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:32 pm

I've found that Mississippi, Alabama, Michigan and Florida drivers are the worst. Don't know why, or where the drivers originated, but that's what I've observed in my years of driving from Ohio to Florida.

Topic author
CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:45 am

Nancie and I rented a car in Maryland to drive down to Florida for her fiftieth high school reunion. Here we are "bad" Florida drivers in a car with Maryland plates. 'guess we've skewed the data now!

We will soon be back to Baltimore and cruising again soon!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.

Unread postby Robin » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:14 am

I mentally discount out of State plates, Theresa gets angry with me when I swear at crazy drivers and is convinced anyway that all the miscreants are foreigners, most probably unlicensed/uninsured illegals or especially Disney visitors over from Europe or snowbirds from Canada.

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times

Unread postby scallywag » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:55 pm

That is interesting about Nancie's reunion. We only had one reunion. Too many guys were lost in Viet Nam. In 2016, is our 50th. I doubt Terry Parker H.S. will have anything. I can not imagine seeing a Maryland car being driven by Floridian. Maryland drivers drive fast. Floridians drive slooow.

Robin

Unread postby Robin » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:14 pm

EXcept in daytona where they are two speed, full stop and flat out and every one has red and green colorblindness :(

Topic author
CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:39 pm

scallywag wrote: ................................ We only had one reunion. Too many guys were lost in Viet Nam. ................

This is an unfortunate statistic. With the 202 Vietnam War casualties from Jacksonville over the time span of the war and the number of schools in Jacksonville, you would expect the number to be one or two per class. Any loss would be regrettable, but it's unusual how the numbers play out. My graduating class of 740 seniors in 1964 had no losses to the Viet Nam War.

Topic author
CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:41 pm

This edit remains only because I was unable to delete this as a duplicate post.

Topic author
CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:24 pm

Nancie and I took a holiday from our vacation. We rented a car in Baltimore and drove down to Florida for Nancie's 50th high school reunion; canoed down the 7 mile Juniper Springs run with our grandson; drove back to Cumberland, Maryland and took an old steam locomotive train ride to Frostburg & back; stopped at the Linguanore vinyards for a wine tasting party on our way back to Baltimore.... and whew! ,- now it's time for some boat projects!

I need to put an eyesplice on a thimble for my roller-furled genoa halyard and go up the mast to hang everything properly; I need to stabilize some water damaged flooring with some non-viscous 2-part epoxy (I'll experiment with some small area first). Oh, and before I go up the mast, I want to reconfigure my bosun's chair and harness for better comfort.

I'll report back,- 'time for some serious work!

Robin

Unread postby Robin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:58 pm

and then, after breakfast .......... :D

Topic author
CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:36 pm

I finished my roller furling project:

Here you can see the new 10mm Endura dyneema-cored halyard and the little dyneema loop that holds the head of my genoa to the forestay. Ther used to be stainless steel prongs riding on the forestay, but I removed them in favor of the Dyneema. Here's the head block with the old prongs...

I fixed the bitter end with an eysplice without the polyester cover, but tape covered the core for UV protection. Here it is on a stainless thimble.

Now to the flooring..... Oh, yes, I've had breakfast a couple times before this was done!
Last edited by CaptForce on Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:44 pm

Nancie and I are underway again in the morning. We enjoy Baltimore, but its time to be out again where we can actually see the stars at night away from the city lights.

We're going to make some stops at the north end of the Bay,- Sassafras River, Havre de Grace, Whorton Creek, Magothy River, Annapolis, St. Michaels, .... and then, with a few stops south in the Bay, pass through the Dismal Swamp into the Carolina Sounds. We'll be stopping for a while in Charleston and Savannah,- likely at the dock in Fernandina for a visit with Capt Charlie & Bobbymo during the first week of November.

This will put us in the Ortega River by November 10th. That's right! ..... 'more than nine weeks for cruising from Baltimore to Jacksonville! This should keep us near the 13 mile per day average that we find casual.

Robin

Unread postby Robin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:23 am

keep on trucking! :mrgreen:

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 215 times

Unread postby tex » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:37 pm

Try to give me some heads-up when you get close to Fernandina. I might try to drop in there so we can all gang-up on Jax's beer stash.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Cruising and Cruising Destinations”