Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

There's a big hole in my boat and my heart....

Living Aboard doesn't mean you have to give up your pets! Find out to keep them healthy and happy here.

Topic author
bobbymo
Your Vessel Info: 1989 Viking ACMY 44 ft
Twin DD 671TIB engines.
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 12 times

There's a big hole in my boat and my heart....

Unread postby bobbymo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:48 pm

There is now a big empty space on "Certifiable". my certifiable crew dog is now a memory. "Senior Chief Petty Officer" Nutley was put to rest at 0814 on the 29th of August. His arthritis was getting worse by the week and he would simply collapse and would not be able to move for 20 minutes. He could get on and off the boat on his own, and wanted me to be there in case he slipped, but was still always too proud to let me lift or help him. His last xrays showed great deterioration of his joints, both fore and aft; and the x-rays revealed some cancer issues, most seriously his lungs were only working at 50% capacity.
Even though I'm retired now and never had to rush him, things just got to the point where it hurt me more too see him in pain than it did to think of losing him He was a rescue and had been abandoned. I got him fully frown in 2004. So he was at least 12 and very possibly 14 or ?
On that morning, my wonderful vet came out to the marina, and joined me, and Charlie and Cheryl Freeman where we put him to rest after a lot of loving, treats, and his favorite, "bacon-bacon-bacon" He took his last nap on the bridge that links the dock to land, which was one of his favorite resting spots. I am happy that we were all able to give him such a happy send-off, even though I miss him every day very much.
So many people in and around the marina wondered where he was until they knew what happened. When I think about that, it is really quite a complement that so many people liked him as he indeed liked everyone here.
A lot of members here also knew him from my posts, so I wanted to share some of the photos.
While this is a great loss, the big picture to remember is the years and years he gave 110% in all he did for me, and he will be missed.
Attachments
P8280462.JPG
20140826_180703.jpg
IMG_3780.JPG
20140829_071404.jpg
Bobby Mo
M/V "Certifiable"
44 Viking
Jacksonville, FL

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 79 times

Re: There's a big hole in my boat and my heart....

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:49 pm

BobbyMo and the boss
Attachments
Aug 2014 108.jpg
Aug 2014 107.jpg
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 129 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:23 pm

Nancie and I still speak of sometimes of Zorro who left us a few months ago. We still look for the dark spot on the floor because he would take a quick revenge nip at our feet if we stepped on him, ..... who woundn't! It's always hard to lose a close friend!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Unread postby scallywag » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Great pictures....We lost Shadow 6 years ago....Sasha has finally turned into a Shadow after 5 long stressful years. Sasha was a rescue and the dog from Hades. We are fighting over who keeps the dog when Scallywag heads South. The tentative date is in November after a family reunion in PA.

Dot and John

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Unread postby tex » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:11 pm

Geeze, Mo. I'm simply speachless. The "Nut" has been suh a part of your life, especially these last years when you were making the transition to your new life aboard. It's hard to imagine the boat without Nutley. So sad....so sorry.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 79 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:03 am

The vet did a SUPER JOB.. So nice and compassionate... Plus it was a great day, sun had just come up and Nutley was at his favorite place under the gazebo
Attachments
Aug 2014 117.jpg
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

skipper68

Unread postby skipper68 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:36 am

So sorry to hear. :( They never leave our hearts. This has comforted me through my Fur Kids passing.

RainbowBridge.com

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
:lol: Who is this "Moderation" everyone keeps telling me to drink with?!? :roll:

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Unread postby scallywag » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:20 pm

My son's dog just passed this morning. This just adds to the weekend. Steven, a young child, died last Tuesday.

Dot and John

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Unread postby tex » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:47 pm

I hope your son got to read rainbow bridge above. Sumthin else, Skip. Thanks dearly for that. Whoever "Steven" is, Scal, God bless him and those close to him.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:40 pm

Bobby Mo, I'm so sorry to hear about Nutely. I had looked forward to meeting him, and Zorro, when Behrke and I and Scamp get our boat. It's hard to let them go, but my told me something that makes it easier to decide. He says if they are no longer enjoying their life, it's time. I think the rainbow bridge thing is also helpful. I wonder if they let horses in?

Pamelaamoore1
Your Vessel Info: We are thinking of a Trawler. We are thinking of keeping our home in Texas for a base and spending most of our time on the boat. We have family in England so would be making a trip across the Atlantic once a year.
Has Liked: 1 time

Unread postby Pamelaamoore1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:01 pm

We feel your sorrow. We lost three beloved dogs within three years to old age. We now have an 18 month old Golden Retriever named Sally and are hoping to find buy a boat large enough to cross the Atlantic within the next year or eighteen months and of course, Sally will come with us. We have a 24 ft party barge now and Sally frequently goes with us. She even has her own life jacket. There is love and life again after losing a furry friend.

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 28 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Unread postby janice142 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:35 pm

Gosh, there's onions in here. My eyes are all teary.

Our critters hold a special part of our hearts. I cannot imagine losing such a dear member of the family. Folks who don't have pets simply cannot understand the pleasure these little beasties bring into our world. I'm deeply touched, and saddened too, that yours could not live forever.

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge is beautiful. It is comforting too. Although I have not met any of your pets in person, I do admit to enjoying the pictures. Thank you. I hope your heart heals soon.
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

Return to “Pets Aboard”