Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Paint

Questions and answers about financing the dream, budgets, insurance, investments, taxes, and all things money related.

Topic author
scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Paint

Unread postby scallywag » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:49 pm

Went to the po paint swatches. He identified two different paints for the boat. Hunter green was not one of the paints. There were two colors of white made by Awlgrip. At $99.00 a quart, it was expensive to buy both cans to determine which was the color. It would not have helped me because I have a green color deficiency. The admiral has to tell me which is the right color. Well I was not going to waster $100.00 so I went to Home Depot and asked them to match the color. The girl mixed the paint. The price--$3.97. So now to paint the scrape with a brush. This is a water based paint by Rustoleum. They mix by eye. If it is not a correct shade, I will go back and purchase an oil based paint. With their oil based paint, their computer matching system gives the various shades to obtain a match. Why didn't I go this way first. She did not tell me it could only be done with the oil based paint. So, if you need a small pint size amount of paint try a paint store that mixes paint. :roll:

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Re: Paint

Unread postby tex » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:43 pm

Lesson learned, Scal. I'm trying to do the same thing with a very expensive helm pedestal that I got an exceptional deal on, but that I have to remove the powder coating and repaint the same off-white as the helm chair. I began sanding it yesterday and made one heck of a mess by nightfall. It looks as if the whole unit was copper-coated beneath primer and paint. I got a special quart mixed to match the helm seat, but I think I might be going the Rustolium route too.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:37 pm

The local Home Depot did not have the paint conversion chart for Rustolium. They did for a oil based paint. They paint dried darker than the original. I will have my wife use the color chart to tell me what to order.

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Unread postby tex » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:34 pm

Well, I went with the custom-mixed color and used a foam roller to apply it, with a few brush strokes in the tight spots. The paint went on well after the primer over the copper coating, but couldn't get any gloss. After a couple of coats, I went with a few coats of clear enamel and got the original powder-coat texture that looks fairly original. I've spent so much time shortening this very complex device that I'm glad to see this finally done and ready to install. Who's perfect anyway?
Attachments
helm seat profile.jpg
Pedestal under shot.jpg
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:42 pm

Looks great. Congrats. I have not returned to the paint as of today. Even though it is darker, it looks better than the uncovered gel coat. I guess the hull was originally darker in color.

bobbymo
Your Vessel Info: 1989 Viking ACMY 44 ft
Twin DD 671TIB engines.
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 12 times

Unread postby bobbymo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:13 am

Thanks Tex, and Scallywag.............
I've enjoyed your posts on this matter. I have a "kupla" projects that need some painting attention and the information was helpful.........of course, I probably do not have the patience required to get the correct match. Amazing how many different colors of white there are..............
Luckily, most of my projects are small and most are metal objects or surfaces; so maybe I can get away with "close" if I keep my guests beered up............ :-D
Bobby Mo
M/V "Certifiable"
44 Viking
Jacksonville, FL

Topic author
scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:21 pm

Bobby Mo,

I am color blind. I have to rely on the admiral for colors. Depending on the size of the job, you could paint the complete object. I was told of an auto store that will mix paint based on the car's color code. A spray can costs $98.00
I was quoted $10,000 to paint the s/v 10 years ago. On my smaller s/v, I rolled it years ago. It started raining after I finished. Of course the job was ruined. I sanded the hull with fine sand paper and rolled it again. Wow what a difference. It looked like a spray job.

bobbymo
Your Vessel Info: 1989 Viking ACMY 44 ft
Twin DD 671TIB engines.
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 12 times

Unread postby bobbymo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:42 pm

I always choose a color, then get other opinions on choices........I seem to learn more that way, (if ever)
When I was doing a lot of car/truck pin-striping trim, I always told the guys to let their wife choose the color. This resulted in a happier household, and a better appearance. It also saved the guy a lot of money, because he did not have to call me back to "re-do" it in another color........... :-D
Bobby Mo
M/V "Certifiable"
44 Viking
Jacksonville, FL

Durian
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Unread postby Durian » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:00 am

Hi,
My own experience is that any so-called 'paint' that is for domestic use is substandard. The Interlux stuff for boats is about equal to what I knew and grew up with, it is proper paint. The difference is the adhesion that resists peeling.
So, despite being a cheap so-and-so, I use boat paint, because the domestic stuff has been downgraded to something similar to a childs water colour paintbox. Probably another case where 'going green' is the excuse for greater profit.
In the UK there used to be a product known as 'Coach Paint', which was an upgraded proper paint. Dunno if that is still around.
Also, on the same type topic, if you want to, you can get a car gloss type finish with brush painting. Just get a few coats on, then sand down with 'wet and dry' automotive sanding paper, using soap in the water, this prevents the paper picking up paint and tearing the paint surface. Just keep going finer, then finish off with rubbing compound. You might need about 5 coats of paint to achieve this, and the trick is to let the paint harden fully before starting to sand. You can use fewer coats if you apply each coat, let it harden, then sand before applying the next coat.

As for me, the paint goes on with a brush, and that's all I need. Heck, if I make it too shiny I might try to avoid hitting things, or stepping on it. But then, my boat is probably worth less than Tex's seat.

John
I like my new boat, it works really well,
And I sold my old boat, the living hell.
The work is now improvement,
To make it even better,
Then the Admiral will take over,
But only if I let 'Er.

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:26 pm

Tex, you helm post looks great. Lots of work, but should pass the Admiral's inspection!

Return to “All Things Money For Liveaboards”