Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

An old dog can learn new tricks!

Living Aboard doesn't mean you have to give up your pets! Find out to keep them healthy and happy here.

Topic author
Ever After
Been Liked: 1 time

An old dog can learn new tricks!

Unread postby Ever After » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:47 pm

We moved aboard our sailboat only 2 1/2 months ago, spending the first 2 months at the dock getting our boat ready for cruising. Our 10 year old German Shorthair loves her boat, but looked forward to her walks on land each day on her leash. We are now away from the dock living on the hook, and we have a piece of New Turf which looks and feels like grass placed on the bow. For the first week away from the dock, I would get her leash out, and she would get all excited about going for a walk. Then I would walk her to the piece of New Turf on the bow and encourage her this is the place. When she did pee, I praised her and fussed over her how smart she is, good girl. Now she goes there without the leash. BUT, she's not as willing to go poo there. Only once. We're still in training.

The New Turf stuff, we tie a couple ropes to it, and throw it overboard for a rinse after each use, and the deck gets rinsed with a bucket of water. It's pretty simple.
Right now, we do go to shore in the dinghy almost every day, so she does get her opportunity. But I'm sure in the future there are going to be times when it will be days or more without land, and I think she will do just fine.

tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 216 times

Re: An old dog can learn new tricks!

Unread postby tex » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 am

Your handle sounds ghostly familiar. Your sailboat doesn't happen to be a Schucker, does it. Our old friends Sami & Barry (active members of the old Living Aboard Forum) had a boat named that, and a very nice boat it was......even to be termed acceptable by our most prolific trawler wielding members. We loved Sami & Barry, and we loved Ever After. Last time I saw her, she was still docked in Stuart.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
Ever After

Unread postby Ever After » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:21 am

We are Frank and Jules, and Bree (our 10 year old German Shorthair Pointer, and Samatha; Sami for short (our year-and-a-half old Ferret). We live aboard our 43' Hunter Sailboat, which we most affectionately named Ever After, and not to forget our Dinghy; Happy.

tex

Unread postby tex » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Regardless, welcome (all of you) to the forum. You'll find many blow-boaters coming aboard as well as a select group of trawler guys that may have retired from string pulling. Heck, we've even got a frustrated Hatteras guy (sailor wannabee) (Jaxfishgyd) who buys California King sheets so he can hang them over his rigging and "pretend".

Topic author
Ever After

Unread postby Ever After » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Thank you for the welcome. We are so happy to be here. This forum is awesome and we look forward to making new friends, via Living Aboard Forum and sailing.

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:28 pm

Ever After, don't listen to Tex,
I do not hang sheets over my "rigging"......
He was THRILLED to hire me a few years ago to move HIS boat from Daytona to Key Biscayne... those few days were the longest YEAR of my life
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

tex

Unread postby tex » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:56 pm

Yes, and even then he tried to convince me to put up the stay sail.

Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 am

I don't know a jib from a main or a stay sail... :lol:
And have no plans on learning.... :roll:
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:08 pm

On the other hand, a riding sail can dampen that nasty rolling!

Jaxfishgyd

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Helen,
Your still fighting the lawnmower....... US liveaboards don't have that problem :roll:
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

lisalewis734
Your Vessel Info: The CruiseCraft
Has Liked: 2 times

Unread postby lisalewis734 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:52 am

Ever After wrote:Source of the post We moved aboard our sailboat only 2 1/2 months ago, spending the first 2 months at the dock getting our boat ready for cruising. Our 10 year old German Shorthair loves her boat, but looked forward to her walks on land each day on her leash. We are now away from the dock living on the hook, and we have a piece of New Turf which looks and feels like grass placed on the bow. For the first week away from the dock, I would get her leash out, and she would get all excited about going for a walk. Then I would walk her to the piece of New Turf on the bow and encourage her this is the place. When she did pee, I praised her and fussed over her how smart she is, good girl. Now she goes there without the leash. BUT, she's not as willing to go poo there. Only once. We're still in training.

The New Turf stuff, we tie a couple ropes to it, and throw it overboard for a rinse after each use, and the deck gets rinsed with a bucket of water. It's pretty simple.
Right now, we do go to shore in the dinghy almost every day, so she does get her opportunity. But I'm sure in the future there are going to be times when it will be days or more without land, and I think she will do just fine.

I think this is a great solution in your situation. And a very useful experience for many dog lovers. Thank!
We also have a dog, and she, too, is old. If we do decide to live on a boat, I will definitely remember your story.

Return to “Pets Aboard”