Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Are Liveaboards Better Adapted for this Time?

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Topic author
CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 147 times

Are Liveaboards Better Adapted for this Time?

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:52 am

In my avatar I have included "now on a chair in my closet". I was amused by noticing this truth three years ago when we sold our boat after 45 years aboard, but I was not thinking of it as an adaptive advantage until now with this pandemic. Livingaboard has given Nancie and I the skills to excel at "sheltering in place". Maybe living aboard is more sheltering in place than most anything else. We used to stock up on groceries in order to cruise away for over two months with little time off the boat and only a few opportunities to foray out for fresh bread or produce. We would trade time at the helm scanning the horizon or scanning the pages of a novel.
So now, inside our, huge to us, small apartment were almost cruising by sheltering in place. 'not out much; spending time with reading; on our computers; scanning out across the pond...... No, there are huge differences. Nothing is swinging on the walls, no rocking, and the compass on my desk remains at exactly 137*M all the time, but sheltering in place comes easy.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 216 times

Re: Are Liveaboards Better Adapted for this Time?

Unread postby tex » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:06 am

Maybe it comes with the personality. Sheltering in place for me is easy peasy, but for my ex-Diplomat Admiral, not so. She’s the extrovert and I’m the introvert, she’s the socialite and I’m the hermit. On the same boat in the same moment, she’s enjoying nature’s party while I’m enjoying nature’s solitude.

Maybe prospering in Covid requires a live-aboard’s attitude. Parties and solitude co-exist In ourselves.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:35 am

...and it's so easy to seclude when your not one to socialize much. One of our former outings was to browse through the used book stores. Now I've bought an e-reading device (Kindle) online and browse the e-library to download e-books. e-gadgets make this e-z,- e-gads!

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 70 times

Unread postby scallywag » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:43 pm

Covid 19 has restricted my freedom. On the boat I could explore and change locations at a whim. Only the Admiral could limit my whims. With friends infected, our social life is curtailed. Driving down A1A at Matanzas Inlet, the anchorage was packed. I was elated to see people enjoying the area.

Topic author
CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:21 am

I see the advantage,- a "packed" anchorage is so much better than a "packed" campground or the "packed" stadium. I think living aboard provides some good opportunities.

tex

Unread postby tex » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:51 pm

CaptForce wrote:Source of the post ...and it's so easy to seclude when your not one to socialize much. One of our former outings was to browse through the used book stores. Now I've bought an e-reading device (Kindle) online and browse the e-library to download e-books. e-gadgets make this e-z,- e-gads!

Precisely. It is becoming more convenient to be a hermit, and that’s what scares me. If I didn’t have a socialite for an Admiral, I probably wouldn’t see anyone. I’m not a snob, and I like people, but I can’t miss the observation that my productivity is always greater when my social calendar is blank.

Until my Admiral retired from Diplomatic service, we attended something like 300 receptions per year and missed another 150. I sure don’t miss it.

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 83 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:07 pm

ah yes.... Tex and Capt Force.......
We are way behind CF as we only have 20 yrs onboard... But we also have had to only make very minor adjustments in our living.. We did use to eat out 2-4 times a week. Did miss that in the beginning of this mess but now eat out 1-2 times a week, only at outdoor settings but the Salty Pelican has upstairs open covered seating and is our favorite spot.
I am the dockmaster at the marina now, 'work' on the ave of 30 mins a week (excluding calls and texts) but get free dockage and power out of it. We still go to the beach (5 min drive) or go for dingy rides which is what we did before this mess.
The downside is, our daughter and son in law are RN's at the hospital and do on a regular basis deal with covid patients so they don't want us to visit due to the risk involved. (my daughter and I ARE going on a fishing charter trip on the 10th, her father's day present for me)....
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

tex

Unread postby tex » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:06 am

How good to hear from you Capn. Fishy. Your exuberant commentary has been sorely missed on this site. What!! You’re putting in a half hour of labor weekly? My Admiral would crack the whip if I wasn’t doing that daily!

Truth is, I’ve been overwhelmed by Covid projects. This heat hasn’t helped much either.

We’re all grateful for the dedicated (and risky) work put in by your daughter & son-in-law, by the way.

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 70 times

Unread postby scallywag » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:40 am

Dot and I got Covid from our daughter-in-law after she visited her sister-in-law. Her sister-in-law works at Mayo. We had a mild case. :ugeek:

Return to “Living Aboard”