Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Covid Lockdown projects

ImageDiscuss boat maintenance and repair issues here.

Topic author
tex
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 216 times

Covid Lockdown projects

Unread postby tex » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:20 pm

Seems like a perfectly good time to catch up on some of the projects I kept putting off because of “other things“, which seemed priority at the time. Tropical storm Cristobal left us with some ceiling damage, resulting from a new air conditioning installation. it seems they were neglectful in making the new system to the old ducting shroud. Unfortunately too late, I was able to seal the problem with a gallon of Flex Seal. Two days of scraping off the wet, bagging popcorn ceiling and it’s finally drying.

So, back to Boat projects! I pretty much finished all the teak sanding and sealing, and I am trying the same sealant on a few exterior pieces exposed to the sun. I don’t know what kind of mileage I’ll get out of this, but it can’t be much worse than the varnish, Cetol, and Polyurethane fails. There’s no gloss to it but the sealer celebrates the wood grain. Nobody’s going to go Wowie when they pass by the boat because of the marvelous finish on the woodwork, but my chalky paint job doesn’t disappoint!

Right now, I’m back to doing interior Teak, particularly the window frames in the pilot house. These are custom frames I had made to begin with, but when I reduce the size of the windows a couple years ago, I never got around to adding the teak wood on the frames to match the new windows. This isn’t as simple as I thought it would be. I knew matching the finish with new teak would be nearly impossible, but I figured I’d just celebrate the grain and color differences For a more contemporary look. It’s not looking that great.
Attachments
4645AC25-B4B6-40D8-AB35-F6C21B555AE3.jpeg
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 70 times

Re: Covid Lockdown projects

Unread postby scallywag » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:47 am

Hurricanes and NE are brutal. Still moving to a higher home and repairing repairing floors in the beach home. Scallywag is next. :lol:

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:05 am

Well, we all know about the best laid plans. Catching up on many of the “someday” boat projects was well underway when my stubby back-yard pier forced me to back my boat against the mangroves, all With the intention to reach our waste tank vent on the port side.

It took about two hours to replace the line and reinstall the freshly polished bronze clamshell fitting at the shearline. About two minutes later, a resounding CRACK announced the arrival of my next unplanned, unwelcome, and entirely unwanted project.

I had so focused on getting the problematic waste tank vent line switched out that I missed the tide falling over a foot in the two hours the job took to complete. Recent trimming back of the mangroves left some heavy roots just below the waterline, and well, I guess there’s nobody to blame but myself. :(

Don’t you just love the stinging shards of ground fiberglass in the sweaty summer heat, repairing a recent project that was trouble free until you broke it, knowing all the time that your suffering was entirely avoidable? :roll:
Attachments
5DC1C12A-688A-4C70-B521-1DDBEB5D2624.jpeg

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:31 am

Well the dock needs to be rebuilt. So, I guess it starts. next week. I have most of the materials. Just need the energy. Once the dock is afloat, I can start cleaning Scallywag. I can not wait to begin. Grass at both places cut for another week. :lol:

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:23 am

Dock needs rebuilt?! That sure doesn’t sound like a one-afternoon affair...and in this heat?!

Oh well, just as I was thinking how miserable and “unfortunate” I am to have to yank this swim platform for repair, I realized how “fortunate” I am to be able to actually contain the whole project in our veranda. Our condo association would’t permit using the dock area.
Attachments
FF6123DD-0E21-4AB1-8A59-5D9C37434BB6.jpeg

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:16 pm

It seems like yesterday when you put on the swim platform. The dock will not be bad. I work for 30 minutes and rest for 1 hour. I start around 7 a.m. when it is cool. When it reaches 88 degrees I sit under a tree and drink warm water. :lol:

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:40 pm

Dang, John: I should have that rule too! Trouble is, with the sweat I generate on these 90 + days, the fiberglass dust sticks everywhere. I tried the suit on days I knew I would be grinding the most glass, but the heat is too intense.

I’m finally rounding the corner on this repair with the chiseling out of the damaged area of plywood core and replacing with coosa board coring (impressive stuff). With everything glassed in, it’s nearly ready for final sanding and Gelcoat.

The only thing holding me up is Amazon’s delivery of a really spiffy SS ladder, which has twice failed to ship and three missed delivery dates so far. Shipper doesn’t respond, UPS says tracking number shown on the UPS site is invalid, and Amazon keeps writing “sorry for missed delivery” messages.

Also, turned 70 this week. Whatya gonna do?! :roll:
Attachments
FE6F81C0-F660-477B-9DCC-FA5387F40189.jpeg

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:56 pm

Congrats on turning 70. I am 72. I do not like to work with fiberglass. The fibers are itchy. In hot weather ugh. Your pictures look good. Shipping is a real problem. We have had dates changed numerous times. Stressful when it is a graduation gift. :roll:

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:59 pm

Finally gave up on Amazon and Amarine products. I don’t know what’s going on there but I ordered the same ladder twice from Amazon Prime, but even though it was shown “in stock” and given a tracking number, it apparently was not shipped either time.

Oh well, now we ordered the same ladder from Amazon through Hofer. Shows shipped today for delivery Friday....who knows. This could turn out to be a long project.

Meanwhile, we’re adding a custom 3/8” SS bumper (photo) to span the brackets and strengthen this area of the platform for the new ladder install and an auxiliary outboard mount for emergency power. Still need to bore all the bolt holes out for filling with thickened epoxy before re-drilling, then mount ladder in the same fashion, then final sand and gelcoat.

Agree with you, John....I hate glass work, especially in heat! :(
Attachments
7335CCBD-9010-4A52-8AFC-54087565FF9F.jpeg

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:03 pm

At last! After two orders and two cancellations with Marine, we ordered the same ladder through Amazon and Hoffer. Doesn’t seem to be a problem with them as the ladder arrived on time, if not just a bit out of square (which was reported by quite a few users in the product ratings section).

I might need to torque it a bit here and there, but it should be OK.
Attachments
2BDDD5DB-689E-4EA8-8F2C-EE60EC6BCA9F.jpeg

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:37 am

Did the come by US mail? Our mail has been off. Usually late.... :roll:

Topic author
tex

Unread postby tex » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:12 pm

This one came by Amazon Prime truck. Their service has been good for us here on Longboat Key/Sarasota. Not sure what happened with the other Amazon ladder supplier (Amarine) who showed using UPS but had a invalid tracking number. Regardless, Amarine is off our list of suppliers.

Return to “Maintenance and Repairs”