Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Which Antifouling Bottom Paint to Use??

ImageDiscuss boat maintenance and repair issues here.

Topic author
Ever After
Been Liked: 1 time

Which Antifouling Bottom Paint to Use??

Unread postby Ever After » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi, Frank and Jules here. We purchased our 43' sailboat back in Oct. and moved aboard in Nov. So, we are new to living aboard and new to the boat world. We did have a survey done prior to our purchase, that stated we would probably need bottom paint within the next year. Time is going by, and we are now near a location (Fort Pierce, FL) that has a nice boat yard and allows do-it-yourself bottom painting.

We have looked through West Marine catalog which has about 18 pages of all different kinds of bottom paint and antifouling paint. WE NEED HELP CHOOSING THE RIGHT PAINT.
We plan to sail a lot on the ocean, down around the Florida Keys, and the Caribbean. Our boat will be in the water year-round. We would like to use an antifouling paint that will last years, and some of them claim to do so, but you know how that is.

We are hoping to get some advise from our sailing friends here on the forum. We were told power boats and sailboats have different needs when it comes to bottom paint. What can you tell us? What brand of primer should we use? What brand of antifouling paint?

Your help here is greatly appreciated.

Frank and Jules
S/V Ever After

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 143 times

Re: Which Antifouling Bottom Paint to Use??

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:15 pm

We're fond of our long time use of Petit's "Trinidad 75". We do best with moving about,- frequently changing your location changes the micro-habitat of bottom growth organisms and their predators. We always make two years and as much as four years between bottom jobs. I've never paid for an in the water scrubbing, but I do snorkel about every few months and wipe down what I can reach, spending a little more time with the prop and rudder. Trinidad 75 comes in Black, Red & Green without a difference in performance by color.

..........here we are freshly pulled out after three years in the water. You'll notice some barnacle growth around the edges of the rudder and along the base of the keel. I had recently cleared the prop and most of the waterline where the barnacles slid off fairly easily with a 3M scrub pad.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
Ever After
Been Liked: 1 time

Unread postby Ever After » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Do we need a primer?

CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:29 pm

I've used the same paint for about thirty years and I'm not up to the current compatibilities of different paints. You would do best by determining what your current bottom paint is and then contacting a representative for your planned new application for their advice.

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 213 times

Unread postby tex » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 pm

When I purchased our trawler, it had year & a half old Trinidad 75 on it, and I was pretty impressed with it on the survey. I added a coat, and it lasted two years with zero blisters on the haul-out about three weeks ago. We power washed, sanded, primed and coated with the Trinidad 75 again.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Ok, Tex, I caught that word "primed" in your post above. I've never primed when one new Trinidad 75 is put on top of the old Trinidad or sanded Trinidad. What's the primer and the strategy?

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 213 times

Unread postby tex » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:43 pm

CaptForce wrote:Ok, Tex, I caught that word "primed" in your post above. I've never primed when one new Trinidad 75 is put on top of the old Trinidad or sanded Trinidad. What's the primer and the strategy?

When I hauled out, we pulled the scoops and found they were not very well sealed, the I removed a through hull and wasn't happy with how that was sealed, requiring some removal of coring and reglassed....no apparent damage. We removed and refitted 3 others, and I decided to repair the keel area that was scraped up from the previous survey....then I added a sea-cock under the veranda, then removed an unused transducer.....all in all, we had the bottom so spotted that I figured what the hey. It cost another 800 to do it all, so now it's done and I'm satisfied that this boat has a very good bottom. Being a fully cored hull, it's a good feeling to know. Ground the rudder, prop and skeg to bare metal, primed with this orange anti-foul primer, and painted them also. Here she is all primed in ready to paint.
Attachments
bottom primed.jpg
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:40 am

Tex, I understand and that makes sense for new fittings and anything taken down to a "fresh" start.

Just a Tinch
Been Liked: 7 times

Unread postby Just a Tinch » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:40 am

On our last haulout... I redid the bottom... The previous paint was Micron CSC...but frankly...I blanched at the cost and I did some research and found that there is a paint made in Florida.... Super Shipbottom paint...its a "hard ablative".... http://www.supershipbottom.com/

Its been very highly rated and its not as expensive as the majority. The paint also seems to have a strong following of repeat users.

Ours has been on a year now...and we've had no growth expect for some grass on the hull...
44' GulfStar MC
1979 Certified Antique
Twin Perkins 135's NA

Forrest Gump was right!!

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 81 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:26 am

I did use Micron CSC in 2000, then put 4 coats of CSC in 2003.... Diver kept saying the bottom was in great shape every time he dove on it (usually 6-7 times a year) and I fully trusted him.... Hauled the boat in 2010 finally and the hull WAS clean... Now during that time, (2003-2011) The boat was away from the dock anywhere from 3-5 times a month, be it a day trip or a 3-4 day trip so didn't just sit around...
But this time I put on 3 coats of Trinidad as the marina showed me that it's equal to CSC plus had more copper... And at $40 a gal less.... I had 3 coats put on.......
Now as we've since moved to Fernandina we now have a new diver who "I hope it trustworthy" . He seems to be as one boat owner had to have his boat hauled a week after a cleaning due to a damaged prop and it looked nice and clean...
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

TechnoMonkey
Your Vessel Info: Still looking for an affordable bluewater sailer.
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Unread postby TechnoMonkey » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:18 am

Just a Tinch wrote:Source of the postSuper Shipbottom paint...its a "hard ablative".... http://www.supershipbottom.com/

Its been very highly rated and its not as expensive as the majority. The paint also seems to have a strong following of repeat users.

Ours has been on a year now...and we've had no growth expect for some grass on the hull...

I just found out about ablative paints and it seems like a good choice. I went to the website you linked and apparently they are no longer in business (they are offering a business opportunity to restore production).

Any suggestions on an alternative "hard" ablative?

Return to “Maintenance and Repairs”