Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Showering / washing on board?

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Topic author
Cool Beans

Re: Showering / washing on board?

Unread postby Cool Beans » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:15 am

First hot "Shower" in the boat!!

No, I haven't put in a water heater. . .though another Ranger33 owner has his installed in the aft portion of the quarter berth which could work for me. In a pinch, for shits and giggles, I tried the "pump sprayer" method I have seen talked about on a buncha sailing and camping forums and blogs. I must say, not bad at all. . .washed my hair and all the hot spots and rinsed on less than quart of water as it turned out.

While it isn't anything to write home about, there is something psychologically fulfilling being able to clean up in your own boat. . .and not having to make the ritual morning sadness filled trudge to the marina shower is a big plus :mrgreen:
The Perfect is the enemy of the Good

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 210 times

Unread postby tex » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:28 pm

I feel the same. I shower in my boat regularly. I timed myself in my luxury one morning, wondering how long the average pleasure usually took, so I put a cup of water in the micro for three minutes, then climbed in the hot shower, soaped and rinsed in leisure. What a surprise..... the micro beeped just as I shut off the water, so in total, .only three minutes with the water on and two more to towel off completely. That's a lot faster than I figured. Next, I want to see exactly how much water I use in that time, so I'll use a bucket to measure 3 minutes and report. Perhaps in a real luxury shower, it would be twice that, but when the water is hot, it adds moisture to the boat that I'd rather not. The AC does take care of it, but if I were in cold weather somewhere, maybe it wouldn't be so good. Make me wonder about Skip when she's taking showers inside a boat that is inside plastic wrap! :o
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

skipper68

Unread postby skipper68 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:20 pm

3 minutes! Yikes. :D
We have a Suburban Propane furnace, that keeps it TOO dry in here Tex!
The Hatch is there too, in the aft cabin. :lol:
We have a 20 gallon Energy star. We draw fresh water from under the boat, with a filter. every 3 months we change the filter and add a chlorine tablet for pools.
This keeps the water pipes/hoses clean.
We have a button on the shower head to turn the water off while scrubbing up.
I have never timed it, but I do 2 shampoos, a cream rinse and the shower body wash without ever running cold.

We keep the water heater on high, so its mostly a cold water mix.
The Captain made a mahogany/epoxied/ appliance paint sit down bath in our old girl, indian style, with a seat.
20 gallons, we never run out of hot water. We DO drain it once a year, and flush it, but have never seen any sand or silt.
Hard water calcium is our only water problem. We don't drink or cook with it, I should add
P.S. Just for GP, I looked at our humidity, and it's 60%. The furnace is for an RV, so it takes the warm air out of the boat and re heats it. You can see the water come out of the exterior exhaust vent. I use a lot of moisturizer. And drink water at night when I wake up.
Funny how we see each others lives! :shock: I really think you need the solar Bomar vented hatches down there in the swamp lands. ;)
:lol: Who is this "Moderation" everyone keeps telling me to drink with?!? :roll:

skipper68

Unread postby skipper68 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:24 pm

Yup wrapped in plastic again! This wouldn't post to my previous response. Woke up to a beautiful sunrise.Image
:lol: Who is this "Moderation" everyone keeps telling me to drink with?!? :roll:

tex

Unread postby tex » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Nice. That would make a great winter Avatar.

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 81 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:34 pm

We shower 100% onboard as the marina we're at doesn't have one.... We could go across the street and use theirs at the other marina (owned by same people) but who wants to walk 900ft down the dock, up the ramp, drive to the showers and then reverse it all...
The boat originally had a 20 gal water heater, but when it went bad (after 30 yrs) I had to remove it in pieces and all I could get back in was a 12 gal one.... But we have had zero problems with it and have NEVER ran out of hot water when showering...And just put in a basic household water heater as we have diesel, not gas and it costed me a whopping $79 from Ace Hardware back in 2003
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 138 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:36 pm

We have multiple bathing plans. When we are warm weather cruising and conserving water we bath in the ocean with "Joy" liquid detergent that lathers in salt water and then we rinse with fresh water on the stern. When we are cruising and conserving water in colder weather we use solar showers on the stern or shower with heated water below. When we are at some marinas, as now, where our slip is 15 steps from a very nice bath house, we shower ashore. Actually, we are so close to the bath house here that we don't even fill our holding tanks and we are without a need for frequent pumpouts. Our behavior changes with the weather, location and water supply!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Coyle
Your Vessel Info: 1975 Newport 30
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Unread postby Coyle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:56 am

You can buy one those plastic pump sprayers like often used for pest control, pesticide etc (of course buy it new.) flange out the tip a bit and can pump it up enough to get a minimal shower. a 3 gallon one really conserves on how much water used as pretty much none goes to waste. I don't recommend this if you have any decent dc power use an electric pump. I used to see people with those sun showers but personally and this goes for some friends as well, we preferred showering inside. Mm, cold trickling shower middle of winter; tried dumping pan of boiling water in but didn't make a difference.

tex

Unread postby tex » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Hate those cold showers. Admiral loves them. I just replaced my 32 year old original hot water heater last year. I couldn’t even find the brand name on-line. Old square iron thing finally rusted through. I'm better off with a small hot water heater cuz I tend to spend too much time in the shower. :|

alawaiorion
Your Vessel Info: We have lived aboard for 17 years on a Celestial 48 with our cat here in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Unread postby alawaiorion » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:29 pm

There are two of us aboard and our water heater is 6 gallons- plenty for us- he showers at night and I shower in the morning. Even if we run out of hot water (like if I have the bad judgement to do lots of dish washing late in the evening LOL) it only takes ten minutes or so to heat up more - even with guests staying aboard we haven't had a problem - however we have to teach guests that there is a "land based" way of taking showers and a "boat based" way...The water isn't continuously running - you rinse - shut off - soap/lather- turn on and rinse again. Quite efficient. Even though we have a 240 gallon water tank it isn't impossible to think that the other person has topped off the tank and neither has- and when you run out of water it will ALWAYS be when your hair is lathered with shampoo...just sayin'

CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:34 pm

We had a different method for bathing when we were cruising in the Bahamas with long terms of anchoring out and keeping our tank supply of water lasting for as long as a month. We usually had a salt water bath off the stern followed by a rinse with a quart of fresh water. We also kept a couple of buckets of what rainwater we collected too. We also had a saltwater pump for washing dishes before the fresh water rinse. We never spent more that a month without an opportunity to refill, but we also found we didn't need to buy water at 35+ cents/gallon where it was more precious or fill our tanks with some of the less quality water that was offered at some island marinas.

tex

Unread postby tex » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:09 am

I’ve often wondered about that water cost in the Islands....whether or not it would be worth buying a water maker for lengthy stays. We have 300 gallons aboard but when visiting marinas every few days doing coastal cruising, we have little to no practice conserving.

Captain Force and the rest of the Aythya crew are probably looking at this corona virus thing and wondering if they’d be better off “out there” somewhere.

CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:49 am

tex wrote:Source of the post ...............
............................ Captain Force and the rest of the Aythya crew are probably looking at this corona virus thing and wondering if they’d be better off “out there” somewhere.

We've considered this, but we also realize that our times of isolation while cruising make sheltering ashore easier too.

During these times this old Hopi Indian teaching seems appropriate:
There is a river flowing very fast. It is so great and swift that there will be those that are afraid. They will try to hold on to the shore. They will feel they are being torn apart and suffer greatly. Know that the river has a destination. The elders say that we must push off into the middle of the river, keep our eyes open and our heads above water. See who is there with you and celebrate.

tex

Unread postby tex » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:18 pm

CaptForce said:
During these times this old Hopi Indian teaching seems appropriate:
There is a river flowing very fast. It is so great and swift that there will be those that are afraid. They will try to hold on to the shore. They will feel they are being torn apart and suffer greatly. Know that the river has a destination. The elders say that we must push off into the middle of the river, keep our eyes open and our heads above water. See who is there with you and celebrate.

Ah, the wisdom of the Native Americans.
Totally appropriate, considering the Hopi was an Arizona tribe. Probably less appropriate for the Tuscarora Tribe though....their homestead being on the Niagara River and all.

CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:16 pm

It's surprising to hear that the death rate by drowning in Arizona is among the highest in the US. I heard that this was due to people caught by surprise when a quick flash flood sweeps through an arroyo. 'sudden fierce rivers.

Return to “Living Aboard”