Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Best Boat for my Budget?

Questions and answers about financing the dream, budgets, insurance, investments, taxes, and all things money related.

Topic author
boatsshmoats
Your Vessel Info: I want a dream boat
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Best Boat for my Budget?

Unread postby boatsshmoats » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:41 pm

Hi all
Looking to start my liveaboard dream. I'm looking to spend $100,000 annually on ALL things boat and boat related, including boat payments, marina costs, insurance, what have you. I have a lot more research to do, but I would appreciate some insight into what sort of ballpark boat price I'm looking at and any suggestions for the best boat for my budget.
Thanks!

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Re: Best Boat for my Budget?

Unread postby tex » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:38 pm

It would help greatly to know some of the features that are most important to you, comfort, space, ease of handling, power or sail, style of vessel etc.. Have you done some shopping on Yachtworld or Boats.com to pick some likes or dislikes? Welcome to the forum, by the way.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
boatsshmoats

Unread postby boatsshmoats » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:24 am

thanks
most important are comfort and aesthetic appeal, and I want it to be power. Other than that, I'm 100% flexible. Basically, I want a power boat that is comfortable enough to not miss living on land and pretty enough to catch a few fish ;)

LA_Admin
Site Admin
Has Liked: 112 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Unread postby LA_Admin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:49 am

Some people find a 30 footer comfortable and others couldn't live on anything less than 50 feet.

tex

Unread postby tex » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:14 am

LA_Admin wrote:Source of the post Some people find a 30 footer comfortable and others couldn't live on anything less than 50 feet.

How true. Of course, I should have asked if you would be solo or would have a family aboard. If you're reallly looking at 100K "annual budget", you can enjoy life aboard very much, I'd think. How about the budget for "initial" purchase. Any idea?

Topic author
boatsshmoats

Unread postby boatsshmoats » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:05 pm

I think 50 sounds better than 30 to me. I'm a young traveling physician and have the fortunate luxury of being able to take a few months off per year. I'd like to spend those months at home in south florida, relaxing on my liveaboard and having as much female company as possible. So I just want a nice impressive power boat to not disappoint anyone that we took the uber to the marina instead of some penthouse, if you know what I mean. So no family, as you've guessed. And initial purchase probably about the same - 100k - though I'm not quite sure what that's referring to...a down payment of some sort?
Thanks for the responses.

tex

Unread postby tex » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:15 pm

Got it. More toward the jet-set live-aboard than the frugal minimalist, yes:? In that case, most impressive would likely be a power catamaran, providing huge interior, acres of deck and entertainment space for bathing beauties, very impressive performance on the water, and most of all it competes with the ostentatious style of vessels in the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale scene. The downside is that these vessels are expensive and have very wide beams. Slips are more expensive and harder to find. The larger ones, in particular, are stable platforms on the water for flat, comfortable cruising for a party aboard, whether tied to the dock or even cruising in minor chop. Shopping on Yachtworld will help you find your style. For under 45 feet, Africat, Manta, PDQ, Leopard, Fontaine Pajot, Lagoon, and Cruiser Cats all have nice apartment sized interiors for living aboard. Endeavour cats are the kings of space, but don't have the sex appeal you're looking for. There are numerous high performance cats in the same range if you don't mind sacrificing space and convenience for speed. Over 45 but still under a million is Fontaine Pajot 46, Leopard 47, Maine Cat 47 and maybe Aventure 46 (usually under 300K), and the occasional odd ball sport fishing cat.

Less expensive would be a host of mono-hulled motor yachts that are easier to find slips for and at 50 ft. could certainly provide a lot of space and sex appeal as well as making a good home for your trips to Florida. Enjoy your search because it's some of the most fun you'll have in becoming a boat owner.

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 66 times

Unread postby RTB » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:20 pm

boatsshmoats wrote:Source of the postI'd like to spend those months at home in south florida, relaxing on my liveaboard and having as much female company as possible. So I just want a nice impressive power boat to not disappoint anyone that we took the uber to the marina instead of some penthouse, if you know what I mean. So no family, as you've guessed. And initial purchase probably about the same - 100k - though I'm not quite sure what that's referring to...a down payment of some sort?
Thanks for the responses.

You won't impress too many (especially the ladies) on your budget in the South Florida/Miami/South Beach area. Insurance and dockage alone will gobble up a big chunk of your 100k. I'm confused about the comment about initial purchase price. If the $100K is a 10% down payment, then maybe you are a small time "player". Deduct for all those designer bikinis you'll be buying for the ladies, or as you put it -as much female company as possible.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:30 pm

I( agree with Tex. The power cat is the most room for your money. Also, best speed, most lounging space, and so on. Check out the site "Multihulls 4 Us" for some good discussions about the relative merits of various boats.

Return to “All Things Money For Liveaboards”