Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Making a Break To Land

Learn how others did it. Ask advice on all issues related to making the move onto a boat.

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Re: Making a Break To Land

Unread postby scallywag » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:34 pm

I heard the Main Street Bridge is closed to boat traffic. Maybe CaptForce knows more. When you leave, where are you heading?

John

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 154 times
Been Liked: 62 times

Unread postby Robin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:49 pm

scallywag wrote:Source of the post I heard the Main Street Bridge is closed to boat traffic. Maybe CaptForce knows more. When you leave, where are you heading?

John

if you mean Main St Bridge in Daytona, the bridge is open to boats but not road traffic, lots passing both ways every day as we see from our condo, overlooking the ditch a mile and a bit north of it
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 64 times

Unread postby scallywag » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:59 pm

Main Street Bridge in Jacksonville, Fl. Helen was/is in Green Cove Springs.

Topic author
CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 127 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:51 pm

The Jacksonville Main Street Bridge has some weekend closures for automobile traffic this month. but this does not affect marine transit.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.

Unread postby Robin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:58 pm

scallywag wrote:Source of the post Main Street Bridge in Jacksonville, Fl. Helen was/is in Green Cove Springs.

OK my confusion, must be a whole bunch of main street bridges... :oops:

Topic author
CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:45 am

Yes, -'many Main Streets! I remember once calling on the VHF to request raising the Main Street Bridge in Jacksonville. I decided to call the bridge by it's official name, the "John T. Alsop Bridge". I didn't get an answer. I don't think the operators actually knew the name of the bridge they managed!

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 79 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:08 pm

http://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jack ... eet-bridge
Here's the closing info for right no
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Jaxfishgyd
Has Liked: 20 times
Been Liked: 79 times

Unread postby Jaxfishgyd » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:10 pm

Here's the important part:
The Main Street Bridge will remain in the down position from 6:30 p.m. on June 26 until 6:45 a.m. on June 28, and on June 28, 29 and 30 from 6:30 p.m. to 6:45 a.m.

Vessels are encouraged to check the Local Notice to Mariners from the United States Coast Guard for additional information. Boaters will be unable to request a bridge opening during this time, but the channel will remain open to smaller boats. The channel restrictions are necessary for crews to install a new wire rope that is used to raise and lower the movable bridge.
Capt Charlie Freeman
43' Hatteras CPMY
M/V "No Dial Tone"
Fernandina Beach, Fl

Topic author
CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:13 pm

'good that Capt Charlie reads the long story and gets the right news. I saw a short blurb that had very little!

Topic author
CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:54 pm

Nancie and I are adapting well to our lakeside apartment and I remain thrilled to see all the bottles and cans remaining upright in our refrigerator. You may have noticed that I have had less participation within this community. As I am no longer a boat owner, liveaboard, or cruiser, I'll likely fade away. I have put my passion of boating toward a focus on woodwind performance, dance roller skating and restoring old bicycles. It seems to take all three of these passions to replace the work I put into my boat. Nancie is following a physical therapy regimen and doing well. We are leaving for a vacation in Northern Europe and will not be back until mid September. I'll look in on things when I return.

Robin

Unread postby Robin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:23 pm

We are leaving for a vacation in Northern Europe and will not be back until mid September. I'll look in on things when I return.

Going anywhere near /S or SE UK or Barcelona, Spain? Have a boat or 3 you could preview for us to keep your eye in. We haven't been able to sell our condo yet to make the great escape BACK to a boat possible and have had 3 choices sold from under us!. :D

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Unread postby tex » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:10 pm

CaptForce wrote:Source of the post You may have noticed that I have had less participation within this community. As I am no longer a boat owner, liveaboard, or cruiser, I'll likely fade away.

Well, if you do that (fade away), I'm sorry for all of us. Does this mean you've dropped the idea of maybe something like a trawlette in you future? I can't think of two people whom have contributed More than the Aythya crew.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Robin

Unread postby Robin » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:42 am

tex wrote:Source of the post
CaptForce wrote:Source of the post You may have noticed that I have had less participation within this community. As I am no longer a boat owner, liveaboard, or cruiser, I'll likely fade away.

Well, if you do that (fade away), I'm sorry for all of us. Does this mean you've dropped the idea of maybe something like a trawlette in you future? I can't think of two people whom have contributed More than the Aythya crew.

+1 with brass knobs on.

Topic author
CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm not discarding the thought of a boat in my future, but I'm not doing any planning or shopping at this time. Robin, I'll be in Copenhagen and other points north. It was a huge change to move off the boat after 45 years aboard. I think my best choice is to spend at least a few more months before I make any firm decisions.

Robin

Unread postby Robin » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:18 pm

Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen. Enjoy some herring! I once had a 7 course meal of ALL (raw filets, but variously marinaded) herring on a business trip there and I love it 8-)

Return to “Making The Break From Land”