Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Houseboat roof paint questions

ImageDiscuss boat maintenance and repair issues here.

Topic author
nopeda
Your Vessel Info: 43' Lazy Days houseboat

Houseboat roof paint questions

Unread postby nopeda » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:55 pm

Hi,

I've used some figerglass cloth and West systems fiberglass resin to repair a couple of sections on my houseboat's roof. It came out good and strong and hard though it's beginning to yellow. I don't really care about the yellowing but am afraid the UV from the sun might be breaking it down. Can anyone suggest a good economical paint to use on it? Does it matter what type of paint? Since it will be on the roof it will need to hold up to some foot traffic. But it doesn't need to add strength like gel coat since the fiberglassing seems to have that part covered.

Thanks for any help with this!
David

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 119 times

Re: Houseboat roof paint questions

Unread postby CaptForce » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:51 am

I had great success with Heng's rubber roof coating when used on an inflatable dinghy. It kept a strong seal with a long term of use while left with sun exposure.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

ka8uet
Has Liked: 156 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Unread postby ka8uet » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:52 pm

Since it's going to be walked on, I would recommend a good deck (boat, not house!) topsides paint. You will want to put non-skid in it. Epoxy pants are strong, but expensive. Is anyone at your boatyard paining their topsides? Or has done so recently? Someone may have enough left over for you to use. Or you could compound it.

tex
Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 178 times

Unread postby tex » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:41 pm

Either the above would work well, but you’re right on about the need to get it covered up. The UV exposure is not good. If you’re near a marine salvage, they often have left-over paints. If you can’t find any non skid, a small sprinkle of clean sand can do the trick. I’ve also had success with Motor Home roof coating in a pinch, but get it covered.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
nopeda

Unread postby nopeda » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Went by Sherwin Williams today and the girl had to call their help people. Came back and said the porch and floor paint wouldn't adhere to fiberglass so suggested some indoor gel product and to cover it with a clear outdoor product. I don't like that idea much.

Then went to West Marine and they suggested Petit EZPoxy Topside paint. Polyurethane, 32 oz for $50. Then that needs a 3021 performance enhancer for another $35 for a small can of it. And that stuff can't be cleaned up with water. Hopefully when I'm off work on Tuesday I can go by Lowe's or Home Depot, or maybe Ace hardware, and find the type of porch and deck product some people have told me about. Can anyone suggest something more specific to ask about to make sure it will adhere to fiberglass resin and can be cleaned up with water? I don't know anything about types of paint.

tex

Unread postby tex » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:53 pm

David: You didn’t mention what area you are in. A Florida boat wouldn’t do so well with a paint spec’d for a more northerly climate, for example. Three coats of clear urithane only lasted me 100 days down here in Sarasota, FL. :(

Topic author
nopeda

Unread postby nopeda » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:24 am

tex wrote:Source of the post David: You didn’t mention what area you are in. A Florida boat wouldn’t do so well with a paint spec’d for a more northerly climate, for example. Three coats of clear urithane only lasted me 100 days down here in Sarasota, FL. :(

I'm in Buford, Georgia.

tex

Unread postby tex » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:18 pm

Would the roof be exposed totally to daily sunlight?? You noted above that you need this paint to stick to fiberglass resin. If so, maybe you know what type of resin was used. Polyester based paints typically stick better to polyester resin, Epoxy based paints stick better to epoxy resin, and vinylester to vinylester and so on, (although vinylester is just kind of a hybrid polyester using epoxy molicules as a strengthening element. Plenty of poly and epoxy colors out there, but be aware that UV does eventually break it down.

Topic author
nopeda

Unread postby nopeda » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:05 am

Went to Lowe's and then Home Depot today. Those guys know a lot less than you people and I told them now that I know what specifically is available I'd ask the forum people and see what they suggest. It will be exposed to the sun all the time, not under a roof. The epoxy is West Systems 105 epoxy resin.

Lowe's has Zinsser 1-2-3 water based primer and sealer. The guy said it should be good enough if covered with an oil based paint. Also Valspar porch and floor anti-skid latex (with sand stuff mixed in) $40/gallon. Or Rustoleum flat oil based 7590 $10/qt, said the flat finish will make it not too slippery. Probably about like what was up there originally.

Home Depot has Zinsser 1-2-3 Bulls Eye water based primer $22/gallon. Also Behr low-lustre enamel 6050-N $30/gallon. Or Rustoleum protective enamel oil based flat white 7790 $8.37/qt.

I tried to stick with oil based paints that were intended to be walked on, so even with so many selections of different paints available at the store it came down to pretty much those few. Would any of those paints not need a primer? Or would it always be better to use a primer regardless? Is it true that the water based primer would be okay if covered with an oil based paint? Is mineral spirits all I need to have to clean up, or would acetone (I've learned to love acetone) do better? Will it clean the brushes, or would it do as well or better to just replace the brush after every coat, since Dollar Tree sells the 3" brushes I've been using to apply the fiberglass resin for $1 each? I don't think there's enough open area to make using a roller and pan etc worthwhile.

tex

Unread postby tex » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:51 pm

My answer would be none of the above, although if you choose one of them, make sure to rough it up with 150 or so grit, and use a primer with the same base as the paint. If you use a polyurathane or epoxy based paint, you still need to rough it up, and while primer can still be used, it’s not necessary. My 2 cents.

Return to “Maintenance and Repairs”