Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

How Far North?

From blue water to the back waters, discuss all things cruising in this forum.

Topic author
RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 149 times
Been Liked: 66 times

How Far North?

Unread postby RTB » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:33 pm

I have put in my notice, and will retire from being the dock master here at Brunswick Landing Marina in Georgia on December 31. I have some serious boat projects ahead, having been docked here since May, 2016. Two and a half years sitting is hard on the boat!

I figure we will be ready to move again early spring. Too late to head to the Bahamas, so think we will see some new cruising grounds to our north. I would love to make it to Maine, but realistically, don't see that happening on a 5 knot sailboat. I figure if we make it to the Chesapeake, we are doing good. This would be new ground for us, so plan on taking it slow and easy. If you have sailed north of Georgia, what were some of your favorite stops?
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Re: How Far North?

Unread postby tex » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:16 pm

Dang, Ralph. If Capn. Force and the Aythya Crew can make it to Maine at the pace they set, you sure can. On the other hand, exploring the Chesepeake could take two years if you really wanted to see the nooks & crannies.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 129 times

Re: How Far North?

Unread postby CaptForce » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Whether they're the "snowbirds" fleeing their home port in the winter or the "hurricane birds" getting away from the tropical storm threats in the late summer and fall, there seems to be two distinct types of seasonal cruisers moving up and down the US East Coast. The majority seem to be those that cruise in one direction for no more than a month and settle in their seasonal community until they're ready to take the month cruising back to their home port. The other smaller group of seasonal cruisers simply don't stop cruising. This is what we often used to do.
We would very casually cruise north from Florida, usually beginning in late May and sometimes stay in one place for a few days, but continue travelling to about Bar Harbor, Maine. Once there, or some other Maine harbor, we would travel south until we ended up in the Exumas or maybe around the Keys and up to Tarpon Springs.
Sometimes we would stay longer in North Florida during Christmas or Easter with family. Sometimes we wouldn't get north of the Chesapeake or south of Lauderdale, There's no "right or wrong" way to cruise, but if you're not planning a seasonal destination, it's easy to stretch your distances.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Return to “Cruising and Cruising Destinations”