Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

What is Ralph doing?

This forum is for any discussions not related to living aboard a boat. The standard forum rules apply, so lets not get crazy :)

Topic author
scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 62 times

What is Ralph doing?

Unread postby scallywag » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:12 pm

Ralph stated he is back to cruising. Did he leave his job? I Fugue(sorry about spelling) undergoing a refit?

Dot and John

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 147 times

Re: What is Ralph doing?

Unread postby RTB » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:26 pm

I commented last night, but must have had a wifi issue? I am officially retired again! We are going to California to visit my Mom later this month. Then on to getting the boat ready for cruising again. Probably going to re-power. Plenty of other details to take care of. Our current plan is to leave here in April/May...heading north. Then back to the Bahamas after hurricane season. Maybe on down to Luperon for the 2020 hurricane season? We will see, but new adventures await! Happy 2019 everyone!!!
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times

Unread postby scallywag » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:08 pm

Sounds good :D

tex
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 195 times

Unread postby tex » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 am

Hey Ralph. Repowering! What do you have in mind for a replacement?
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 147 times

Unread postby RTB » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:36 pm

Probably a new Yanmar. I do have an engine guy coming to the boat when we return from California in two weeks. We will see if he can work some magic on the old engine which is strangely locked up. I never figured out why this occurred.
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 126 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:11 am

"................ strangely locked up. I never figured out why this occurred.[/quote]
Of course I have no real knowledge, but with an engine locked without an obvious mechanical event, my guess would be water intrusion. 'sometimes a problem with the anti-siphon loop or the mixing elbow. Have you removed the injectors and attempted turning at the flywheel to see if water is in the cylinders? I fully recovered from this once with a Yanmar 4JH3E by flushing with diesel oil four times.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 195 times

Unread postby tex » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:54 pm

Capn. Force is right. What engine is it, by the way? My friends Yanmar 4JH-HTE also had cylinder flooding....seems OK though, no further indication of damage after flushing. Of course, the less time the water is left in there, the better.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “The Dock Box”