Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

In Orange Beach Area

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
tsolive
Your Vessel Info: 2000 Hunter 380.
Been Liked: 1 time

In Orange Beach Area

Unread postby tsolive » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:06 pm

Greetings. My wife and I are retired and have just sold our house and are living under the radar on our Hunter 380 in the Orange Beach area. Our marina "used" to accept liveaboards, but officially don't stopped within the last year or so even though there are a few here that were grandfathered in. We were keeping our boat here when we still had a "real" house so the marina isn't wise to us...yet. So, we're keeping our eyes open for any in the AL/FL gulf area when we're "caught"! :D

Anyway, just wanted to introduce us.

Cheers!
Tom and Cathy

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 129 times

Re: In Orange Beach Area

Unread postby CaptForce » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:25 am

I don't have a direct answer for your question, but I should mention that during the years that my wife and I lived aboard, we most often lived at marinas that did not allow liveaboards. The policy of not accepting liveaboards gave the marina management the leverage to avoid the risk of accepting derelict vessels with owners using their boats for low income housing. It's much easier for marina management to have this no liveaboard policy than to try to screen the clients. I think it's wise of you to have an destination planned if you are required to leave, but don't be surprised by a "don't ask-don't tell" policy. Even when we remained a a marina for a long period of time while employed in the community, we identified ourselves as "full time cruisers" and not "liveaboards". This seems silly, but it often suited the marina management. In addition, we never used the marina as our mailing address or our legal residence.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Re: In Orange Beach Area

Unread postby tex » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:12 am

Hey Tom & Kathy: We’re over here on the Gulf Coast just off Sarasota. We’re on a tiny Island but have two Live-Aboard marinas. What kind of monthly expenditure are you limiting yourself to? How about features? Pool, sauna, pump-out, on sight repairs, restaurant, laundry, clubhouse? Welcome aboard.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”