Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hoping to be one of you soon

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
Tmart851
Your Vessel Info: Wanting a Carver 500/504
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Hoping to be one of you soon

Unread postby Tmart851 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:02 pm

As I sit here pondering on how to ask 100 questions in only one paragraph, I figure the best way is to just start with the basics. My future wife and I live in Alabama and will be retiring in 2 years. We plan to sell everything and purchase our dream retirement home. Our families think we are crazy and having a mid life crisis but there concerns do hold some truth considering I have 0 boating experience except for a few pontoon rentals... a real captain in the making....HAHA

I work in the aviation field and since everything we do derived from the nautical world, some transitions are not completely foreign, charts, GPS, ect, but that about does it. The hardest part of flying in landing and taking off, the same for boating is docking and leaving the dock. A good friend of mine gave me the advise " When docking, only go into the dock as fast as you want to crash into it, boat doesn't have brakes" This is advise that I will always remember!!!!!

Our plan is to sell the house and purchase our boat. We are really liking the Carver 500/504 so if anyone has some experience with this model, please share any pros and cons. We are going to live at a marina on the Tennessee river for about a year and really hone our docking/maneuvering skills before making the track down to the gulf. Our ultimate goal is island hopping the Caribbeans and possibly find the stick built home for when our bodies need to sit on stable ground.

I have been reading several post on this forum and have already soaked in a lot of great advise and even read about couples doing the exact same as we are. I have a bunch of questions and so much to learn about this new and very exciting, sometimes scary, journey we are about to set sail on.
Looking forward to chatting with you all and maybe meeting in a marina somewhere.
T

Erik Brush
Your Vessel Info: I am converting a 1984 Proline Walkabout 23 into a 23' houseboat. I've cut away the cabin, I've removed the gas tank (which will be replaced with a 50 gallon plastic water tank), and I'm working on laying down the under flooring base boards.

When I get done with the boat it will be the world's first electromagnetic powered houseboat. I will have a small solar and wind powered supplemental power bank. But the primary power will be generated with magnets, taking from one of Tesla's ideas. Additionally I'm a marine biologist so I'm very conscientious about noise in the water and the destructive power of props and fuel propulsion systems tearing up grass flats, cutting manatees (I'm in southwest Florida) and dolphins, etc. So my boat will be electromagnetically jet powered. Clean, quiet, efficient, with a protective cowling around the water intake.
Has Liked: 51 times
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: Hoping to be one of you soon

Unread postby Erik Brush » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:49 pm

Welcome to the forums. I'm new myself, but in the process of converting a boat into a monohull houseboat. Entirely electric actually. Time will measure my success, but I wish you guys the best of luck with your venture!

Cheers!
Erik

tex
Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 193 times

Unread postby tex » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:04 am

Welcome aboard. Once you set your intentions and begin sharing them in places like this forum, things can speed up quickly. The Carver 500 series is a pretty awesome (if not a bit thursty) start. Best of luck and keep us informed on your journey.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
Tmart851

Unread postby Tmart851 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:49 pm

I agree that the 500 is a little scary for our first boat. We have been looking and researched and then researched again. HAHA We went down to Galati Yacht sales in Destin and Linda (the real boss) fell in love with the Carver 466 and a 1983 Hatteras 65'. well needless to say that aint gonna happen. I would love to have a Hatteras but just way too much for us. So we are now torn between the Carver 500/504 or the 444. I really want an aft cockpit and she wants an aft cabin so these are the two best ones I could find. Any insight on these two boats would be appreciated. I have read a lot but nothing beats first hand experience.
T

tex

Unread postby tex » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:25 am

Well, if your Admiral wants an aft-cabin, I guess that’s that! Still, if you like Carver 500 or 444, but would rather have a Hatteras, try to get aboard a Bayliner 4788. More bang for the buck and unlike the small Bayliner line, much better built.

Topic author
Tmart851

Unread postby Tmart851 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:13 pm

Thanks Tex, I have been told to steer from the bayliners, but will take a look for sure. There are so many choices out there which is good to a fault. I’ll keep you guys up to date on our progress.
Thanks for all the advice.

tex

Unread postby tex » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:38 am

Bayliners get a bad rap for the construction quality of their smaller boats, but in the 4588 and 4788 models, for example, it’s a whole different thing. They are tough, well built vessels with a good following, and probably the easiest of any raised pilothouse design to resell on either coast. That says a lot about their following.

I was trying to think of the aft-cabin vessels we were most impressed with, but most of them are much older than you are looking at. We love the richness of fine woodwork joinery in the cabins. We’ll keep thinking.

Topic author
Tmart851

Unread postby Tmart851 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:13 pm

We checked out the 4788 and really like the layout. We have come to a compromise of an aft cabin with a aft cockpit. The Carver 444 would be a perfect fit for this compromise, but I do want to look at others before settling on that model. If I had my choice, we would be getting a 54 or 53 Hatteras. Just too much too soon haha
Thank you with the help.
Tim

tex

Unread postby tex » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:05 pm

There’s plenty of 53’ Hats out there snd a few 58’s if you want a cockpit. It’s hard to deny the use of space in the Carver, but those two boats are about as far from one another as anything. Have you considered a catamaran? It would give you the economy you want while still giving a good turn of speed. Some are in your price range, although true aft-cabins are rare. Probably the most efficient aft-cabin model out there is the PDQ 41.

tex

Unread postby tex » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:36 pm

One comment about aft-cabin designs: In appearance and space they are hard to beat and at anchor are away from rode or chain noise. But underway they can be louder from vibes of engines and drivetrains. At anchor, they can suffer from lesser air in what may already be a hotter cabin from radiant engine heat. Bow cabins are often quieter underway unless the hull is hard chined, they have their wintows and overhead hatches into the wind at anchor. Movement is less from swinging at anchor and the cabins are less subject to radiant engine heat. Space, unless the boat design is like mine, and keeps its beam well forward, is not usually as much. Nothing is ever the “rule” in boats. There are always exceptions. My 2 cents.

Topic author
Tmart851

Unread postby Tmart851 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:49 pm

This my be a dumb question, but do you think I will have problems finding parts for a Detroit Diesel in non US marinas? I know they stopped making these motors, but how plentiful are spare parts?

tex

Unread postby tex » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:26 am

Plenty of parts world wide. Plenty of aftermarket mfgrs out there with Detroit maintenance and reman parts. This is the beauty of the 53, 71, and 92 series two cycle diesels. Masive interchange-ability among parts of the same series. Perhaps not very economical, certainly noisey, but super reliable power. Industrial Generators, water pumps, saw mills, construction equipment, fishing boats, you name it. All continents would have parts.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”