Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Silverton 330SB as a liveaboard

Choosing the boat that's right for you is much more involved than choosing a neighborhood and house. Ask you questions here!

Topic author
Scottyboy_33
Your Vessel Info: Silverton 330 SB
Been Liked: 1 time

Silverton 330SB as a liveaboard

Unread postby Scottyboy_33 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi all,

Intermittent live-aboard here. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this boat (Silverton 330SB) as a full-time liveabord at a marina in Southern California. Used for occasional Catalina or other local (coastal) SoCal boating adventures, but nothing more than about 35 miles one way. Single guy, no pets. Thanks so much for your input. Wondering what you super-experienced live-aboards think of this particular model.

(The boat shown in the video is not mine, but I own the same model.)
Last edited by Scottyboy_33 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Re: Silverton 330SB as a liveaboard

Unread postby tex » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:45 am

Since the vessel you’re looking at isn’t the vessel in the video, one can only comment on the amenities and layout of the design. Ii I was a single guy, living the life on a 330 would be a real hoot for me. I don’t particularly relish having gassers in my home, but the 5.7 Mercs are a decent combo if you gotta have ‘em. Silverton is really good at space usage, squeezing about as much as one can out of 33 ft.. The galley is sufficient, fridge space is great, counter top area is better than average, and the all important storage looks so-so. More seating than you ever need except for those SoCal impromtu parties, and some separate spaces to grab a more private conversation or simply enjoy the water. Some of the more important things to consider for liv-aboards are tankage (especially black water), storage (you can’t be a pack-rat), ventilation (opening windows), and amenities atuned to the climate you intend to live in. A great deal of space is dedicated to the cockpit, and she’ll not be very economical on plane, but while the Silverton 330 may not be the best option for Boston or Anchorage, for So. Cal. single scene, it seems both adequate and hip. Be mindful, for the same money as the average Silverton 330, there are a plethora of equal or better designs for live-aboards. My $.02.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
Scottyboy_33

Unread postby Scottyboy_33 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Much appreciated, Tex. I have 5.7 Crusaders, which are the lesser of the power options for this boat, but I never have a problem getting on plane, and that's WITHOUT using the ginormous trim tabs that come with this boat. And you are correct, it's not economical on plane. Probably 24-ish gallons per hour, at 16 miles per hour (3200 rpm). Never installed flow scans, so this is my best estimate, based on multiple trips to Catalina.

I was more concerned about the layout, in terms of overall space. (My boat looks almost identical to the one in the video.) The black water tank holds 30 gallons, and fresh water is 104 gal, so I think I'm all set there. I absolutely love the boat, although I wish the coockpit were a little bigger. You can seat four people for dinner around a table in the cockpit, but it's a little tight. And yes, storage is always an issue. Thanks again for your input. Tex. I really appreciate it.

tex

Unread postby tex » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:24 pm

Quoted from Scotty above: “I absolutely love the boat”.

I think that says it all, Scotty. Loving a boat goes a long way toward not having to have it perfect, and no boat is perfect (well, not in our price range). No doubt, that vessel will serve you well in the SoCal climate! Best of luck in your new live-aboard lifestyle!

Topic author
Scottyboy_33

Unread postby Scottyboy_33 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:57 pm

Thank you again.

Topic author
Scottyboy_33

Unread postby Scottyboy_33 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:06 am

Tex (or anyone), if I may, what would be an example of a better layout for a live aboard? This boat that I posted seems pretty solid in that respect (three hanging lockers, full enclosed shower, full sized refrigerator, 100 gallons of fresh water), but perhaps I am missing some pieces of the puzzle. I’d love to take a look at a 33-ish foot boat that you would describe as a VERY good layout for a live aboard. I’m always interested in expanding my horizons, and I know there is a wealth of experience on this site. Much appreciated!

tex

Unread postby tex » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:18 pm

In 33 ft.? Probably very few equals for live-aboard space. That Silverton 330 is a stacked boat, making the best out of its three levels. Of course, there are consequences like stairs, windage, and access to plumbing & wiring, but as long as you’re able to navigate through hidden maintenance areas and don’t mind the stairs, it’s hard to beat as a live-aboard. In order to compete with the 330, you’d have to find another 33ft. sundeck design. Rare.

Now if you get to 36’, there starts to be a few more design options with easier space utilization.

Topic author
Scottyboy_33

Unread postby Scottyboy_33 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:37 pm

Makes sense. Thank you, Tex. I could probably fit up to 38-ish feet in my slip, but I don't want to get too bogged down in maintenance. The more systems you have on a boat, the more that breaks down and needs to be fixed over time, as you are well aware. Thanks a bunch.

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 28 times
Been Liked: 48 times

Unread postby janice142 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:19 pm

Scottyboy_33 wrote:Source of the post Makes sense. Thank you, Tex. I could probably fit up to 38-ish feet in my slip, but I don't want to get too bogged down in maintenance. The more systems you have on a boat, the more that breaks down and needs to be fixed over time, as you are well aware. Thanks a bunch.

THIS is incredibly smart scott. Honestly, most folks don't consider maintenance and the additional complexities that come with a larger boat. I do like your layout. I've sat in similar round seating areas aboard a sailboat -- they were comfy. I particularly liked the flexibility in that larger and smaller people could all find a comfortable spot.

The dinette offers a terrific view. I like that.
Personally I'm not fond of twins, purely from a maintenance/crowded engine room perspective. But that's not My problem eh?

What I don't like: There don't appear to be hand holds available for when the boat rocks unexpectedly. Watch for that. Where your reach, install a place to grab hold. Now I'll admit I have a lot more than most, however they do serve me well.

It is shiny and pretty. A gal could like it. The built in's appear to be of good quality.

The main thing is you love her. That's all you really need to know.

Free advice: get yourself aboard as many boats that are lived on, long term, as possible. You'll see things that can translate to your vessel. Copy the ideas that you think useful. Good luck, and have fun.
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

Wolakrab
Your Vessel Info: 53-ish motoryacht or trawler.

Unread postby Wolakrab » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:09 pm

Here's my two penny's worth.
A 33 will get tight...especially if you are entertaining or have a sleep-over. Coming from someone whose ultimate goal is to retire and live on board my next boat, I am thinking bigger is almost always better. True, you are looking at spending more initially(but maybe not!) and the costs for dockage are higher, but you could probably find something a bit older and larger for the same price or less. Just don't let that boat lust make the decision for you...I had a case with my current boat...I fell in love with it and now I wish I'd never bought it. I am NOT going to let it happen again when I buy my live-aboard.
I was originally thinking about something in the mid-40 foot range, but now I am looking at low to mid-50's...and I am finding there are dozens of prospects in my price range. As a depreciating asset, you don't want to buy and find out it's too small for your needs. Expand your horizons and shop around.

Topic author
Scottyboy_33

Unread postby Scottyboy_33 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:29 am

Thank you for your reponses. I appreciate the insight. I definitely have a severe case of three-footitis, for which I intermitently apply a topical ointment. It isn't working. My buddy has a Silverton 410 Sportbridge, which has me salivating. The boat is AWESOME! But slip fees here are astronomical, so I will probably stay in my current slip, and if I can find a slightly larger boat to fit in this slip, fine (maybe up to 38'-39' LOA). If not, 330 it is! It's a great boat, which does lack a bit in storage space, but the marina has storage lockers VERY close-by, so the so-so storage space on the boat is not a huge deal, I suppose. I'm not going to be a cruiser anytime soon (meaning, probably never).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make the sofa on the starboard side more comfortable? It's a place to sit, but like most 30-something boats, it's not a place I would want to plant myself for more than just a little while. Some sofas make you feel like you've sat on a little piece of heaven. This isn't that sofa. It's a typical boat couch. A company I contacted wanted $7K to tear out the old sofa and redesign a whole new one. Really $7K? I'm all for spending money to improve the livability of the boat, but come on!!

But I'm not sure whether simply reupholstering it will make it the dream couch that I want. And.... there are air conditioning units underneath this sofa, so I am limited in what I can do here. Any experience with this? Thanks again.

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 129 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:43 am

"a single guy, no pets"..."a 33 will get tight"..."slip fees here are astronomical" ? I'd take some time to identify the actual space that you use. Most people, even in huge houses, have a favorite chair that they use almost exclusively. Most of the space is only occupied when dusting and vacuuming. The required space may well be what is our psychological custom and not functional space. I'm not suggesting that you can adapt, but if you are able to do well in only functional space, you will reap a huge economic gain. ....purchase price, slip fees, fuel, maintenance, insurance, and more. My wife and I moved from a 33' that was our home for 13 years when our two children were continuing to grow at 6 & 8 years old. We spent the next 32 years on a 41'. I'd spend some serious time calculating the benefits of far more money in your pocket by adapting to the 33.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
Scottyboy_33

Unread postby Scottyboy_33 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks, CaptForce. I really appreciate the opinion from someone has been around the block several times. I’ve been reading your posts for years on the old living aboard web site. Thanks again for the pro tip.

tex

Unread postby tex » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:55 pm

Scott: If “around the block” were what the Captain Force “Aythya crew” were doing, there wouldn’t be any sidewalk left. :shock: Being a single guy, there must be some other space you could milk out of that boat. What about a cockpit or flybridge enclosure?

Topic author
Scottyboy_33

Unread postby Scottyboy_33 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:53 pm

Scott: If “around the block” were what the Captain Force “Aythya crew” were doing, there wouldn’t be any sidewalk left. :shock:

Love it! Tex, the flybridge has relatively new canvas and strataglass, and I'd prefer not to enclose the cockpit. There's ony so much outside space on this boat. I'd prefer to keep it as outside space. :D I think I'm good with it as is. And Captain Force is right. I don't really NEED extra space. There are three hanging closets, a couch, a separate dining area, a cockpit, and a nice sport bridge. I'll make it work. Might reupholster the cushions to make it more comfy. Thanks again, compadres.

Return to “Choosing The Right Boat”