Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Silverton 330SB as a liveaboard

Choosing the boat that's right for you is much more involved than choosing a neighborhood and house. Ask you questions here!

Topic author
Scottyboy_33
Your Vessel Info: Silverton 330 SB
Been Liked: 1 time

Silverton 330SB as a liveaboard

Unread postby Scottyboy_33 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi all,

Intermittent live-aboard here. Just wondering what everyone thinks of this boat (Silverton 330SB) as a full-time liveabord at a marina in Southern California. Used for occasional Catalina or other local (coastal) SoCal boating adventures, but nothing more than about 35 miles one way. Single guy, no pets. Thanks so much for your input. Wondering what you super-experienced live-aboards think of this particular model.

(The boat shown in the video is not mine, but I own the same model.)

tex
Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 195 times

Re: Silverton 330SB as a liveaboard

Unread postby tex » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:45 am

Since the vessel you’re looking at isn’t the vessel in the video, one can only comment on the amenities and layout of the design. Ii I was a single guy, living the life on a 330 would be a real hoot for me. I don’t particularly relish having gassers in my home, but the 5.7 Mercs are a decent combo if you gotta have ‘em. Silverton is really good at space usage, squeezing about as much as one can out of 33 ft.. The galley is sufficient, fridge space is great, counter top area is better than average, and the all important storage looks so-so. More seating than you ever need except for those SoCal impromtu parties, and some separate spaces to grab a more private conversation or simply enjoy the water. Some of the more important things to consider for liv-aboards are tankage (especially black water), storage (you can’t be a pack-rat), ventilation (opening windows), and amenities atuned to the climate you intend to live in. A great deal of space is dedicated to the cockpit, and she’ll not be very economical on plane, but while the Silverton 330 may not be the best option for Boston or Anchorage, for So. Cal. single scene, it seems both adequate and hip. Be mindful, for the same money as the average Silverton 330, there are a plethora of equal or better designs for live-aboards. My $.02.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
Scottyboy_33

Unread postby Scottyboy_33 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:56 pm

Much appreciated, Tex. I have 5.7 Crusaders, which are the lesser of the power options for this boat, but I never have a problem getting on plane, and that's WITHOUT using the ginormous trim tabs that come with this boat. And you are correct, it's not economical on plane. Probably 24-ish gallons per hour, at 16 miles per hour (3200 rpm). Never installed flow scans, so this is my best estimate, based on multiple trips to Catalina.

I was more concerned about the layout, in terms of overall space. (My boat looks almost identical to the one in the video.) The black water tank holds 30 gallons, and fresh water is 104 gal, so I think I'm all set there. I absolutely love the boat, although I wish the coockpit were a little bigger. You can seat four people for dinner around a table in the cockpit, but it's a little tight. And yes, storage is always an issue. Thanks again for your input. Tex. I really appreciate it.

tex
Has Liked: 15 times
Been Liked: 195 times

Unread postby tex » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:24 pm

Quoted from Scotty above: “I absolutely love the boat”.

I think that says it all, Scotty. Loving a boat goes a long way toward not having to have it perfect, and no boat is perfect (well, not in our price range). No doubt, that vessel will serve you well in the SoCal climate! Best of luck in your new live-aboard lifestyle!
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
Scottyboy_33

Unread postby Scottyboy_33 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:57 pm

Thank you again.

Return to “Choosing The Right Boat”