Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Greetings from the Tampa, FL area

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
Chuck
Your Vessel Info: No current vessel. Considering "houseboat" style suitable for Tampa Bay/St Pete/Clearwater area.

Greetings from the Tampa, FL area

Unread postby Chuck » Mon May 20, 2019 9:40 am

Hello LA Forum members! I am considering the full-time live aboard lifestyle and wanted to go into this world "eye wide open" by learning from all the seasoned veterans on this forum.
-Chuck

ka8uet
Has Liked: 161 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Re: Greetings from the Tampa, FL area

Unread postby ka8uet » Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 pm

Hello, Chuck! Welcome aboard. What kid of life style are you considering? Will you be mostly ina marina, at anchor, or moving about? How luxuriously do you want to live? A/C, washer/dryer? tV/etc. How many and what age people? Past boating experience? SPecial skills (engines, electronics, sailmaking) Health? Disabilities? Pets? Lots of questions to answer to get a usable answer.

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Sun May 26, 2019 1:22 pm

Hey, Chuck! Down here in Sarasota. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 65 times

Unread postby scallywag » Sun May 26, 2019 7:33 pm

Welcome Chuck! Looking forward to your thoughts. There are a number of members that have and are living aboard vessels. They need to know your desires. Some liveaboards live a tent life style others have captains and chefs. Which are you? A couple of live aboards have been living aboard longer than I have ben alive. They RE HERE TO GIVE YOU ADVICE.

Dot and John

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 28 times
Been Liked: 49 times

Unread postby janice142 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:53 pm

Hello Chuck...

I too am in the general area. Wondered what your goals were besides the "live aboard a boat" thing. Is there an underlying reason? Some chose for the freedom, some at divorce, some for fishing opportunities, and some just want a fresh start and new experiences. Where in all that do you fall?

Just curious...
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

CapnKevin61
Your Vessel Info: S/V Aura - 1978 Southern Cross Ketch.
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Unread postby CapnKevin61 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi Chuck!

Welcome! I'm just a newbie here myself but I am really liking how active and helpful this online community can be in helping to look at things from many different perspectives!

Tell us your story! How has this desire to be a live-aboard evolved for you?

For me it started slowly, and has been gathering momentum for the last 20 years while I've been getting myself into a position to make it actually happen.

My wife and I will try to do the snow-bird thing going back and forth from Montana to Florida Keys starting this January. We'll see how that works. Montana is beautiful, but I just can't take the long cold winters anymore.

Anyway, can't wait to hear your story!

Kevin
May you have Fair Winds and Following Seas!

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 28 times
Been Liked: 49 times

Unread postby janice142 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:05 am

Living aboard your own boat during the wintertime in Florida (or any southern state) is one of life's pleasures. It's amazing, wonderful, and terrific. Get far enough south and you'll not even have to worry about heat.

For instance, I lived in south Florida. My house did not have heat -- didn't need it. I did have one very lightweight sweater (with sequins/belonged to a great aunt) for when it got "cold" (which I wore at the mall usually. When I was in Aventura Mall (North Miami Beach) a woman offered me $75 for the sweater. So I sold it.

Didn't have a sweater after that and never desired one either.
That's the kind of winters I like.
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 132 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:17 am

Hello, Chuck, welcome to the community.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Return to “Introduce Yourself”