Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Does anyone recognize this type steering system?

ImageDiscuss boat maintenance and repair issues here.

Topic author
nopeda
Your Vessel Info: 43' Lazy Days houseboat
Has Liked: 1 time

Does anyone recognize this type steering system?

Unread postby nopeda » Mon May 27, 2019 10:52 pm

Does anyone recognize this type of steering system? There is nothing written on any parts of it as far as I can find. It is on a 1968 Lazy Days houseboat and I'd like to find out who built it and how to find replacement parts, but how to find that out? The first picture is of the rectangular box that has been removed from the steering column, and the other 2 are different views of that same box in the hopes that it will look familiar enough to identify to somebody.
houseboat steering1.jpg

houseboat steering2.jpeg

houseboat steering3.jpeg

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 129 times

Re: Does anyone recognize this type steering system?

Unread postby CaptForce » Tue May 28, 2019 8:45 am

My earlier responses to your steering cable questions were all related to my experiences with the "teleflex" cables that are common with distances of up to about 12 feet between the helm and the motor. Your system appears to be far more robust and operating over a greater distance. I don't think my earlier comments about test operating the system by hand would apply to your system. I assume the same physics apply,- 'fixed end points for the outer casing and adequate lubrication for the inner cable, but the mechanism to move the inner cable appears to be a geared system rather than a simple lever. I've got nothing to offer you about the brand or manufacturer.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Tue May 28, 2019 12:45 pm

When I look at marine steering system catalog parts, I see your system is identified as a "rack and pinion" system. You might search for information among owners or parts suppliers among Lazy Days or other houseboats.

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Unread postby tex » Wed May 29, 2019 5:02 pm

Kinda hard to make out the brand from those photos. Might be a Jefa or Tuflex. These folks can probably help.

http://www.steeringgearsuperstore.com/? ... gKrq_D_BwE
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
nopeda
Your Vessel Info: 43' Lazy Days houseboat
Has Liked: 1 time

Unread postby nopeda » Fri May 31, 2019 12:58 am

One of the local marine repair guys said he thinks it's a Morse system. He also said they are hard to get parts for and usually you have to redo the entire system including the fly bridge.

CaptForce

Unread postby CaptForce » Fri May 31, 2019 9:59 am

Nopeda, I believe that I've found a source for your steering parts through Jamestown Distributors. I've used them before and found them very reliable. If you google Jamestown Distributors online you will find their "official site". From their home page select the "How To" on their headline menu. From this page scroll down to the "Engine Room" menu. Under the "Engine Room" listings you will see "Teleflex HPS Rack & Pinion Steering". I believe you will see your parts among these diagrams that replace the Morse system. Be sure to call the tech support number at the bottom of the page to confirm your parts application before you buy.

Return to “Maintenance and Repairs”