Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Howdy from Texas

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
TechnoMonkey
Your Vessel Info: Still looking for an affordable bluewater sailer.
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Howdy from Texas

Unread postby TechnoMonkey » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:24 pm

I'm Len and I am looking forward to living on a boat again.

I live in Aransas Pass, Texas.

I'm looking for a fixer upper and a place to dock. Seems that since Harvey, the few places that had liveaboards no longer accept them. Still looking.

Harvey was no fun. I live right where the south wall came to shore. It was my first hurricane and my last. I plan on booking next time. 11 hours of no fun.

Greetings to all.

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Re: Howdy from Texas

Unread postby tex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:50 pm

Hey Len: Welcome aboard! Man , did you guyz take a hit from Harvey. Weren’t there some live-aboard marinas up in Rockport? Are they rebuilding? How about Corpus Christi...up river. Lots of marinas up this way have stopped taking full time live-aboards, but somehow don’t seem to have a problem with how long you stay. :roll:
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
TechnoMonkey
Your Vessel Info: Still looking for an affordable bluewater sailer.
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Unread postby TechnoMonkey » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:23 pm

Yes, a BIG hit. Like I said, the south wall came ashore right where I live. I sat it out. Never again.

A lot of places are still rebuilding or finishing up and have been wanting to disfranchise live aboards. Some live aboards are grandfathered in, but will probably be excised on expiration of their lease. A lot of them lost their boats. Corpus has one that requires background checks, insurance, inspections, etc. and a personal evaluation from the harbormaster. The live aboard rules themselves amount to. "As long as you remain invisible you can stay". I don't see that as a comfortable environment. It's a great location though.

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 156 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby RTB » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:03 pm

We spent the summer of 2015 at Cove Harbor in Rockport. Harvey wiped that marina out! We had left in Oct. And spent winter 2015/2016 in the Keys.

My wife and I have lived on our boat since 2012, when we left Texas the first time. Currently in Georgia, so far safe from hurricanes and liveaboard friendly (for now). Texas definitely has become anti-liveaboard. I think a fixer-upper is not going to help finding a slip.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Return to “Introduce Yourself”