Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Tahiti 33

Choosing the boat that's right for you is much more involved than choosing a neighborhood and house. Ask you questions here!

Topic author
TechnoMonkey
Your Vessel Info: Still looking for an affordable bluewater sailer.
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Tahiti 33

Unread postby TechnoMonkey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:30 pm

I will never be able to outright afford a boat that can sail to Australia. Hell, I can't afford one that will sail anywhere, so I am looking for a fixer-upper.

One I am looking at is advertised as a 1998 TAHITI 33, but I can find nothing online about this boat. I don't deal with the sellers until I have some info under my belt as the sellers are biased. Most will say anything to make the sale. I probably can't put a link up as I am a newbie, but the ad can be found with a simple search at popyachts.

Any input is welcome, even from flame throwers.

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Re: Tahiti 33

Unread postby RTB » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:34 pm

Looks like the Tahiti first showed up in a 1935 Mechanix Illustrated. Interesting. Built by someone from plans. SailboatData.com has the specs. It is shown as a ketch, but I only see one mast in the ad. A wood boat would not be my choice, but if it had been maintained, could be ok.
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
TechnoMonkey
Your Vessel Info: Still looking for an affordable bluewater sailer.
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Unread postby TechnoMonkey » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:03 pm

From the ad - "The hull is 1-1/8 inch mahogany, covered with fiberglass. Made with mahogany brought in from Central America".

And - "The boat was originally designed as a Ketch, but the owner changed it up to its current configuration. He says it can easily be reverted to a ketch by installing a Mizzen mast".

But some of the info I have been able squeeze out suggest that I not go this route, so now I am looking at a Cal 30 for $5000.

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby RTB » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:11 pm

Go for the Cal 30!
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

janice142
Your Vessel Info: Schucker23
Has Liked: 28 times
Been Liked: 49 times

Unread postby janice142 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:54 pm

I remember reading about popyachts, and none of the information was particularly good. Proceed with caution, and see if you can find out even IF the boat exists now. Outdated listings, stuff sold, boats not for sale, shady deals, etc. Please investigate. It is entirely possible I'm mistaken/ or that changes occurred. Check though, okay? I want you to have a good experience.

IF you're looking for a starter boat, may I humbly suggest you do a bit of poking around my website. I've written about how to secure a fixer-upper, beginner boat and more. Some pitfalls you might avoid, etc.
Start here perhaps: http://janice142.com/Articles/FindingYourBoat1.html

Before spending your perfectly good money, get as much practical information (books, regular boaters who live on their vessels, and places like the online forums)

Too, be perfectly sure you want to sail across the planet. And please don't take that wrong!!! At one time I too was enamored by the beautiful pictures from the south Pacific. Then I realized what I liked most was life aboard, not long passages. Coastal cruising is for me. Many boats seldom leave the dock. Those owners don't need "blue water" boats. They need comfortable homes that are safe.

IMO that is.
Janice aboard Seaweed
Trawler cruising on a nickel budget
http://janice142.com

Return to “Choosing The Right Boat”