Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Hello and greetings from the Palmetto State!

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
Wolakrab
Your Vessel Info: 53-ish motoryacht or trawler.

Hello and greetings from the Palmetto State!

Unread postby Wolakrab » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:48 pm

New to the forum, working on gathering all information I can about life aboard. My wife and I have a long-term plan to retire in 10 years and buy a 53-ish motoryacht or trawler to live aboard; we would much appreciate any advice and pro-tips. My wife is a boating newbie...she has no experience with boats or the boating life aside from the occasionally lake outing...I am a bit of an old salt and have owned & operated boats up to 32' and have many hundreds of hours experience in offshore fishing runs and coastal cruising. Running a 53' motoryacht would be a step up for me, but I know the intricacies of twin-engine diesel inboards, their handling characteristics and am confident I can learn quickly and become comfortable.
That said, I know there's much to learn and hope that you all wouldn't mind sharing your experience...I'll probably be asking a stupid question or two, so I beg forgiveness in advance.
We are looking forward to getting to know the forum and those who are here!

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Re: Hello and greetings from the Palmetto State!

Unread postby tex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:38 pm

Welcome aboard. Did you mention sail or power preference somewhere? Oh..twins, well I guess for the most part, that would mean power. 53’ huh? Sounds like maybe a Hatteras fan. One of the best live-aboards out there!
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
Wolakrab
Your Vessel Info: 53-ish motoryacht or trawler.

Unread postby Wolakrab » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:45 pm

Tex,
Power...most definitely. I've looked at Hatteras, Viking, Jefferson, DeFever, and Chris Craft. Not hung up on 53' or those specific manufacturers...if I find the right boat in the 48-50' range, that would work just as well. I am looking for something with enough elbow room so the wife and I can have our own spaces...and we don't want to feel like we'll be stepping all over each other. The plan is to make the move onboard in 10 years, so I am compiling all the information I can in preparation. The last boat I bought turned out to be a disaster and I don't want to make that mistake again.

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 203 times

Unread postby tex » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:43 pm

10 years....Hmmmm. Even thing like selecting a powerboat could change drastically in 10 years. Looking for separate spaces, huh? There will likely be a few 53’ Hatts out there, but they’ll either be reconditioned or pretty tired. If I were thinking separate spaces 10 years from now, I’d probably be thinking about catamarans. The current wave of today’s charter cats provide huge spaces within their length, economy, improved maintenance spaces, owners cabin versions, and superb gathering areas between totally private ensuite hulls. All this, adaptability to upgrades and contemporary decor should keep it up to date. With all the units coming off charter outfits, there ought be lots of them.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”