Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Newlyweds just starting out!

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
thewanderblobs
Your Vessel Info: We are only just starting to search for the right vessel for us, but we are hoping for a sailboat between 36 and 40 feet long that is comfortable for living aboard!

Newlyweds just starting out!

Unread postby thewanderblobs » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:25 am

Hi all, we are Jill and Andrew, a couple from the Tacoma, WA area. As I write this, we are about two months away from completing a year-long trip abroad that has involved a little #vanlife, a little couchsurfing, lots of backpacking and Workaway, and we'll end with a visit on Andrew's parents' boat where they are cruising in Mexico. As we wrap up this current adventure, we are looking ahead to our next one: buying a live aboard sailboat back home in the Pacific Northwest.

I don't have to explain to this group why the idea sounds attractive, and luckily for us, Andrew's parents (of LittleCunningPlan.com) are experienced sailors/cruisers/liveaboards, so we aren't going in blind. However, it's always helpful to hear from a variety of peoples' experiences, so we're here to learn from you all.

Our goal is to buy a boat between 36 and 40 feet long. We're *almost* strictly looking at sailboats, but if the right motorboat came along we could be swayed. Our must-haves are a working sailable boat (no major $$$ repairs like an engine or rigging), a big enough head to have a shower or retrofit one (and therefore a water heater and pump), and enough space for us to squeeze in a couple of overnight guests (though it doesn't have to be plush). We're excited to do up the aesthetic stuff ourselves, so it doesn't have to be pretty on the inside, but we don't have the budget right off the bat to do some major work on a project vessel.

I would love to know: what have you paid for something that meets the above requirements? What are your biggest concerns with shopping for a liveaboard boat? Imagine our budget is lower than you think it should be...what should we expect, and what advice do you have?

Cheers, thanks for having us here!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 129 times

Re: Newlyweds just starting out!

Unread postby CaptForce » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:30 pm

My wife and I bought a boat much as you describe back in 1985 for 65K. Back then, you could by boats of this type anywhere from 40K to 200K. So, times have changed...... I think you can find boats of this description anywhere from 50k to 250K. You notice that this isn't much of an answer. That's because of what your willing to do with shopping distance, patience, accepting less and luck. I had a friend that bought a beautiful 45' Alden from a family in Nebraska that wasn't willing to deal with the Florida slip rentals for their inherited boat that was a burden to them and of no interest. Chances are you won't get that lucky, but you can shop well with 100K for a fine boat over ten years old.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Return to “Introduce Yourself”