Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Blue water power catamaran

Choosing the boat that's right for you is much more involved than choosing a neighborhood and house. Ask you questions here!

Topic author
wittkopper
Your Vessel Info: It is my intention to live aboard a 40-50 foot boat.
Has Liked: 1 time

Blue water power catamaran

Unread postby wittkopper » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:31 am

Hello all, retiring soon and planning to buy a boat with the intention to live aboard. I'm living in an apartment and I've gotten rid of almost all of my stuff so I'm getting close to actually buying my new *home*. To that end of course I've done a ton of research, and based on everything I've read and everything I've looked at I really like the idea of a power catamaran. However, I'm having a hard time finding a true blue water power cat in the 40-50 foot range. So, I am turning to you wonderful people to ask if anyone in this forum has had any experience with the sort of vessel that I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for reading this post, and I hope to hear from some of you. Cheers!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 132 times

Re: Blue water power catamaran

Unread postby CaptForce » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:46 am

Place the words power catamaran in the search window on the Yachtword site and you will see eleven examples in the 40' to 50' range.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
wittkopper
Your Vessel Info: It is my intention to live aboard a 40-50 foot boat.
Has Liked: 1 time

Unread postby wittkopper » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 am

Thanks, much appreciated!

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:43 pm

If I was looking for a blue water powercat in the 49-50 range, I’d be limited to the few confident designs that have been advertised as such. The PDQ 41, Leopard 43 & 47, Journey 47, Mainecat 47, Fontaine Pajot Cumberland, Beneteau 44 & 49, Africat 42, Prowler 44 & 48, Manta 44, and to a lesser degree, Aquila 44 & 48 which are popular charter boats but have contemporary interiors with huge fetch-like spaces to provide ample body acceleration and sharp-cornered designs in which to fling yourself upon in heavy seas. Keep in mind that all the above have the characteristic snap-roll behavior in beam seas and the choice of narrower (rather than broader) interior spaces could serve one better. Traditional radiused fixtures are also a preference over the mitered styles found in later production cats. My two cents.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Choosing The Right Boat”