Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

STAY SAFE FRIENDS!

Advice on surviving storms, and stories about direct hits and close calls.

Topic author
Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 159 times
Been Liked: 64 times

STAY SAFE FRIENDS!

Unread postby Robin » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:22 am

This one looks nasty, the unpreictabilty making it more so. So no heroics -boats can be replaced, limbs not so much. We (back in UK) had a few 65kt gusts this summer and even suffered 95F days with no aircon, and couldn't get ashore safely for several days at a time but ain't nothing other than minor irritations. Nuking this MF as it passes over Mar El Largo might work. :o
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 132 times

Re: STAY SAFE FRIENDS!

Unread postby CaptForce » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:49 am

Thanks for the thoughts, Robin. Nancie and I have been coping with the unfamiliar choices of facing a tropical storm while living on land,...'seems easier. We've been based in Florida for 65 years and our last hurricane on land was in the early 1960's. 'hope all of my friends on the water remain safe and secure!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.

Unread postby Robin » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:37 am

We had bigger problems on land running from Matthew when the boat in Halifax Harbor was safe and had power restored in hours against many days for our then condo on land

I suspect storm surge will be a big factor with Dorian with the high tides.

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 156 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby RTB » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:24 am

Hey Robin! We keep watching the track and biting our nails. One thing for sure - the Bahamas (Abaco) is going to take a beating. Unless the track changes, we should be ok in Brunswick, Georgia. Charlie Freeman will remain on No Dial Tone if the forecast holds. Good to hear from you. You too CaptForce.

Ralph
Last edited by RTB on Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:37 am

Wehave friends that ran a huge charter cat out of the BVI , totally wrecked by Irma. their own 1973 Dufour 35 that they crossed oceans in and kept as their off duty base in Tortola was badly damaged ashore in the boatyard but multiple islander friends and contacts rallied round and that was quickly restored albeit an insurance write off. Thankfully they were back in UK when Irma happened as otherwise I suspect they might have tried to prevent things and got badly hurt. Their videos of the big cat's last trip to the graveyard was tear jerking and they retired from charter work totally after it and split time now between home in southern England and the Dufour in Tortola.

Lovely to hear from you and B, despite the circumstances, we will keep our fingers and toes crossed that Dorian repents and steers well clear!

RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 156 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby RTB » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:15 pm

We made it without a scratch! No problem with wind or surge here in Brunswick, Georgia. The same for Jacksonville and Fernandina. North of us may not be as lucky.
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:46 pm

good news indeed. :D

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 65 times

Unread postby scallywag » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:14 pm

England sure has had their weather. Rain and flooding was bad based on what I read. Now a heat spell. Wow! We stayed in a motel in Palm Coast for Dorian.

Dot and John

Topic author
Robin

Unread postby Robin » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:24 pm

scallywag wrote:Source of the post England sure has had their weather. Rain and flooding was bad based on what I read. Now a heat spell. Wow! We stayed in a motel in Palm Coast for Dorian.

Dot and John

back to wet and windy again now, 50-60mph gusts. have snapped 2 warps but relocated to reduce chafe so no probs since. had probs with UK immigration who got stroppy ovrer Theresa's absence of over 2 years, lawyers made their vacation funds nicely but at least she is now officially resident again (our version of green card) and her passport returned. took nearly 2 years of stress with officialdom mind. last winter was mild thankfully as we had to replace our Eberspacher heating over xmas. could have used aircon this past summer too.

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:49 pm

For the first time, we took a look at the storm’s track and said “so long”, got on a plane for Vancouver and while you guys were sweating it out, we were cruising up the Inside Passage to Alaska! It was great to cool down for a while.

Meanwhile, one of my Texas-based cruising buddies left his pristine Island Packett motor sailor on the hard in Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas. As it turned out, the marina and most boats were wiped out, but his boat was jammed between several others which kind-of blocked the boat in, preventing it from falling off the stands.

The mast snapped near the middle, solar panels were gone, but otherwise damage seems to be pretty light. He got an Island acquaintance to check inside....apparently the mast boot stayed together and things were dry.

Now if he can just get there to reinstall a couple of flexible solar panels to save the batteries, provided the rudder and driveline is OK, he may even drive it out of there.
Attachments
F5436960-910E-432C-9CFF-A9BF5ECDE5D2.jpeg
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Weather Talk”