Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Tugboat as a liveaboard?

Learn how others did it. Ask advice on all issues related to making the move onto a boat.

Topic author
turniptheheat
Your Vessel Info: My dream boat would be a dutch canal boat.....But living in the US, they seem too collectable and rare.

I've started to look at old tugboats in the 40-60ft lengths. Seems like they could be good conversions and less hard to find.
Change my mind.

Tugboat as a liveaboard?

Unread postby turniptheheat » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:13 pm

I'm in the process of exploring either trailer living or boat living.

Boat living seems to have a lot of hidden costs, so I'm trying to figure out if that will be doable.

My dream boat would be a dutch canal boat, but in the states they are rare and pricey

I've been looking at tugboats as an option.

I live in portland and saw a good number available in the Olympic peninsula area.

I need to find a fixer cause I'm on the tightest of budgets, but something that won't need major hull work.

Any advice?

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 129 times

Re: Tugboat as a liveaboard?

Unread postby CaptForce » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Of course the specialized function of tug boats requires huge power and massive capabilities that all involve costs, space and mechanics that would have little use for a live aboard. There have been some "tug" styled liveaboard cruisers that have some of the look, but actual former working tug boats would not be economic for cruising. 'maybe an option for a "dock queen" that's not intended to move about and gutted for some more useful living space.

The best I've seen was the "Mighty Mo" WWII tug privately cruising the US East Coast. You could hear it coming from a couple miles away.

You might find something more useful by converting a fishing, utility, navy launch or vessels that are made to accommodate people and economically transit some distance.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Return to “Making The Break From Land”