Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Charter your home

Questions and answers about financing the dream, budgets, insurance, investments, taxes, and all things money related.

Topic author
skbenga
Your Vessel Info: No Boat yet but if i could i would get the Lagoon 40.
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Charter your home

Unread postby skbenga » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:14 am

My dream is to Live aboard a lagoon 40/42 but its pretty damn expensive so I have been looking for ways to fund it.

I wanted to ask,
1. do people charter their live aboard boat as like a hotel room on the water?

2. Is this feasible to do? Is there enough people wanting to pay for these charters for me to pay off a dream boat (assuming good location and service)?

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 132 times

Re: Charter your home

Unread postby CaptForce » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:38 am

It would be difficult to find a liveaboard that charters their vessel as a bareboat charter. Some may do captained charters, but these are usually just day charters as the owner is still maintaining the vessel as their home. I've witnessed two types of situations close to what you described in South Florida and the Bahamas.

1- Some of the large chartering companies will sell a vessel that remains in their charter fleet while you are able to use the vessel for a specified time as you make payments to gain full ownership.
2- There are a number of liveaboards that own vessels with the major space aboard is altered to accommodate 8 to 12 youths in a dorm-like setting. They specialize in boy scouting adventure cruises.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
skbenga
Your Vessel Info: No Boat yet but if i could i would get the Lagoon 40.
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Unread postby skbenga » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:54 am

I may have miss spoke due to lack of knowledge which i should apologize for.
My plan is to buy the boat mentioned above (with three cabin setup) and then run it as a hotel room with my wife. we would provide meals and arrange tours etc.

Is this a feasible business model and do other people do it with relative success?

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 132 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:44 am

I've seen a few vessels listed on Air BnB. Are the "tours" that you refer to excursions on the boat? In the USA taking passengers aboard a vessel underway requires a certification. It's not difficult to obtain the "six-pack" license that is required for six passengers or less. I suppose that the success would be hard to predict,- 'probably dependent upon your location and promotion.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:08 pm

I reserved a space (single room) on a yacht providing B&B service in Stuart, FL. This was a 60 ft. or so yacht with at least two other rooms (priced higher) available. I ended up cancelling due to an approaching hurricane, but it seemed like a neat idea to me.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “All Things Money For Liveaboards”