Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Just a Reminder of why I Hate Winter

ImageA forum to discuss issues related to living aboard your boat here. This is the place for "doing it" rather than "planning to do it".

Topic author
RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Just a Reminder of why I Hate Winter

Unread postby RTB » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:26 pm

Well, the long, hot summer has ended and no hurricanes in the Atlantic. I am thankful, but just reminded why I do not like cold weather on the boat.

Two days ago, it was 87* here in Georgia where we live on our sailboat. That night, the temps dropped to 48*. A nice light blanket and we were set for a cozy night's sleep.

Some time later, after falling into a deep sleep, I was awakened buy a cold drop of water smacking me in the forehead. The wind was howling and the boat was rocking. I thought maybe it was raining too, and that the hatch above us was leaking. Then I realized that it was condensation. We had the boat closed up. Plus two people breathing inside. I had forgotten how everything gets wet inside...to the point where it drips from some things.

The next day was blue sky and sunshine, making me forget about the long night. Like I mentioned, hurricane season is likely done, and that is a big relief.

So, just a little reminder why I hate winter, living on a boat. I'm sure others will chime in about their dislikes during this season.

Ralph
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

scallywag
Has Liked: 25 times
Been Liked: 66 times

Re: Just a Reminder of why I Hate Winter

Unread postby scallywag » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:36 pm

Is the boat ready for southern adventures?

Dot and John

tex
Has Liked: 19 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:43 pm

Yeah, I think the temp dropped down to 72 that night. :(
Come on down here.

I guess that kind of drop would make all but the most insulated boat sweat. That drip on the face at night, not looking forward to that.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:50 am

Sully had a dehumidifier about one of his boats. We purchased one to take the moisture out of the house during the summer. The down side was, it put off heat.

Dot and John

Topic author
RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby RTB » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:21 pm

Hey scallywag... I think a de-humidifier is a good idea. We are a small boat, so no extra room aboard really. Generally, you would drain into the galley or head sink. That could work at night I suppose, but would need to be stowed most of the time. Just inconvenient, but one remedy to consider.

No, the boat is not ready to head south right now. That would solve the condensation problem. Plus the crew has other health issues as well. Cataract surgery for me, and a new hip for Beverly. If I can get all three of us cripples fixed up, we will sail away again. Until then, JASDIP. Just Another Sucky Day In Paradise! All is well, and loving life!
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:25 pm

I have a dehumidifier you can borrow. Yes on a sailboat room is a problem. I stored it in the wet locker by the hatch when not in use. Could not use underway or at anchor. Let me know if you would like to give it a try. We can run it up, if it does not snow.

Dot and John

Return to “Living Aboard”