Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Portable toaster oven, anyone?

Recipes, advice, appliances and more. Just because you might have a small galley doesn't mean you can't cook big!

Topic author
Scottyboy_33
Your Vessel Info: Silverton 330 SB
Been Liked: 1 time

Portable toaster oven, anyone?

Unread postby Scottyboy_33 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:11 pm

Hola,

I have no built-in oven on my Silverton 330 SB, so I generally use a small Black and Decker toaster/convection oven, which also bakes, broils, etc. It sits on the counter top and comes in handy for steaks (pan-sear, then bake), chicken (just bake or broil) and other assorted meats. How does everyone cook their meats aboard, when not grilling outside? Is there some other (better) alternative to the oven I mentioned above, if you aren't in the mood to grill outside? I saw a post about slow cooking and pressure cooking -- curious if I am missing some OTHER secret cooking methods inside the boat. Gracias.

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 213 times

Re: Portable toaster oven, anyone?

Unread postby tex » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:09 am

My preference on the boat is a slow cooker, crockpot...what have you, that we just slice & dice various meats and veges and let cook all morning and into the afternoon before serving at dinner. Always tender. For something more urgent, typically get out the pressure cooker.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby scallywag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:34 pm

At dock I have a electric stove top. Underway, we have a 120v microwave and a toaster. We have a 12v crock pot basically for heating foods.

Dot and John

tex

Unread postby tex » Sat May 16, 2020 12:58 pm

Although we’ve never had any issues with our propane stove, I worry about it. It’s old, ugly, and kinda out-dated. I’ve thought about eventually going with an Induction type. Anyone tried these?

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 143 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Mon May 18, 2020 12:01 pm

We had the following for cooking listed in order of most frequent use: Electric fry pan, microwave, toaster oven, propane range, slow cooker and the never used propane oven (used for storing pots and pans), as well as a gifted propane grill mounted on the aft rail which was also never used and later regifted. When not using shore power we had the use of a 7Kw diesel generator.

It may seem strange for a cruising sailor not to use a grill,- no fishing,- no interest in grilling.... I have common tastes and would usually be satisfied with anything cold out of a can. Once Nancie and I were anchored off of Tex's place and he and his wife presented us with and array of savory items with various sauces,- I especially remember the sausages and mustards. I think Tex would likely have the best advice. I know he has the best food!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex

Unread postby tex » Wed May 20, 2020 2:48 pm

Dang, CF: It must have been good for you to remember it! Of course, my kraut Countess is acutely aware of sausages (wurst) and mustard variations. When we lived in Berlin, going into those butcher shops with all the huge, pendulous wursts hanging everywhere ...felt kinda strange. :?

Return to “Cooking Aboard”