Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Happy Thanksgiving

This forum is for any discussions not related to living aboard a boat. The standard forum rules apply, so lets not get crazy :)

Topic author
scallywag
Has Liked: 26 times
Been Liked: 68 times

Happy Thanksgiving

Unread postby scallywag » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:30 pm

Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving. Who is cooking a turkey on board? Who is cooking a ham? Is anyone cooking?

Have a great family day.

Dot and John :D

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 159 times
Been Liked: 66 times

Re: Happy Thanksgiving

Unread postby Robin » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:23 am

We have a new halogen oven on board which is excellent, doesn't heat/steam up the boat. Thought long and hsard about doing a turkey 'crown' but decided to give the chef (me) a day off and order in our favourite Thai takeaway and have turkey for Xmas day the UK way ( Thanksgiving is not a UK thingy)

Y'ALL HAVE A GOOD ONE FOLKS!!!
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

tex
Has Liked: 21 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:50 pm

Man, when it comes to Turkey Day, I’ve got this sister-in-law who is the ultimate talent in home-making. She enjoys doing such detail for festive house decor, cooking and table preparation....unbelievable. For the last 6 years, I’ve had the privilege of basking in this sacred event, and the whole experience inspires “thanks” from within. Everyone is gifted in some way, but it doesn’t get better than this.

Stay safe and Happy Turkey!
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:37 am

I have to further investigate the halogen oven. One I saw will cook a 12 pound turkey. The write-up said be careful of cleaning so the bulb is not damaged. I want to check out the cost of a replacement bulb. Requiring 1300 watts, I will have to upgrade my 12v converter. Thanks for the information on the halogen oven.

Dot and John

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.

Unread postby Robin » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:06 am

Most come with an extension ring to expand capacity but no idea of turkey it will take. we can do a 4lb chicken in a roasting bag with tray and without the extension ring. IIRC the capacity of ours is a 12 litre that extends to a 17 litre with the ring. power consumption is 1300W but it is not continuous, after initial heating it cuts on and off for a few minutes at a time. We are on 220vac of course. The bowl is self cleaning and the lid just gets wiped over. All the accessories (racks, baskets and lifting tongs stow inside when not cooking. I put aluminium foil in the bottom to catch drips. There are lots of videos on U tube from USA users to check out recipes etc.

This is the one we bought via Amazon UK.

Topic author
scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:14 pm

Thank you for the information. I do not want a propane oven on the boat. I feel the halogen oven is a good option.

Dot and John

Robin

Unread postby Robin » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 pm

We do have a propane oven but never use it now because it heats the boat too much in summer and needs galley windows open even in winter and rainstorms for ventilation to prevent CO build up. We do use the propane hob however. Our halogen oven sits nicely on a corner of the galley worktop and even at max temp doesn't heat the surroundings. We also have a small George Foreman grill that does excellent service too for meats and fish, plus an electric 3 layer steamer set for vegetables, electric tea kettle and toaster. The propane hob is use for wok cooking or pasta stuff mostly (twice per week maybe)but a 4lb gas cylinder lasts a full 12 months. Shorepower electrics are on 24/7 and we have 4kw diesel built in generator as backup, not run very often at all as power here is very reliable.

tex
Has Liked: 21 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:34 pm

That halogen oven sounds like a good option. John....where did you see the one that will do a 12 lb. turkey?
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
scallywag

Unread postby scallywag » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:54 pm

I was just looking on line and I saw an ad for one that stated it cooked a 12 lb turkey. When I have time I will go back and look.

John

Return to “The Dock Box”