Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Contemplating a leap of faith.

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
Nomad_Dad
Your Vessel Info: I'm thinking about converting to a life of sailing and travel. Never sailed before, but desperately want to learn.
If I buy I'd want a 35'-45' monohull with a central cockpit. Not too picky on age or model.
Has Liked: 1 time

Contemplating a leap of faith.

Unread postby Nomad_Dad » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:05 pm

I'm not sure where to start. A recent life event has drastically altered...well everything. I'm in my 30s and starting over.
So I had a thought. I've dreamt of living on my own boat since I was a kid, it's just always been this background noise in my mind.
If I started saving money for it now it would probably take 2years to make it happen.
Anyone have some advice on how to get started?
I have an idea of the type of vessel I want, but I've never sailed before.

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 133 times

Re: Contemplating a leap of faith.

Unread postby CaptForce » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:41 pm

I've shared your dream, but not the same leap of faith. The big "leap" to me would not be the goal of living aboard a boat, but the plan to buy a sailboat without having experienced sailing. Sailing is a different activity than boating and not something to leap into without knowing how it might suit you. You are fortunate though, as all the knowledge that you can gain about the sport of sailing comes with learning on an inexpensive 8' to 12' sailing dinghy.

You haven't given your location, but you may be in an area with a sailing club or access to the use of a small sailboat. Certainly, even buying your own small boat for learning would be great if you have easy access to some protected body of water for learning. By protected I'm thinking of a place with easy launching into water without strong currents or significant waves, yet open enough to provide some consistent breeze.

There's a great deal of online and text resources for learning and you're sure to find out if you will be thrilled by sailing. If not, you may be well suited for living aboard a power boat as many on this forum. Either way, base your dream on solid experience and don't commit to a romanticized concept of sailing without being experienced first.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 21 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:23 pm

Great advice above from the most traveled and experienced live-aboard on this forum. I might add to begin getting aboard anything you can. Visit marinas and talk to owners...most enjoy showing off their boats. Put notes on marina or forum message boards offering your humble assistance with a crew volunteer, anxious to learn.

If you need to feel romantic, find what gives you romance in a boat. Is it a rich, teak interior? Maybe it’s the sea wind in your hair while throttling up on plane. Perhaps the water rushing past the hull, or maybe a coffee in hand and the warm pilothouse around you. How do you want to “be” on the water? Chances are, the “romantic” part of boat ownership is more in the thinking and dreaming about it than it is in the actual doing it.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
Nomad_Dad
Your Vessel Info: I'm thinking about converting to a life of sailing and travel. Never sailed before, but desperately want to learn.
If I buy I'd want a 35'-45' monohull with a central cockpit. Not too picky on age or model.
Has Liked: 1 time

Unread postby Nomad_Dad » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far. Guess I should have included some more details.
I have been offshore in coastal waters for work in the past, I have a combined 10 months or so on the water over 2ish years.
Currently I'm landlocked in Montana, but near several lakes with a large sailing community including a school.
I'll definitely take your advice to go start spending time at the local marinas, seems a perfectly logical thing to do :D
My timeline for now is to spend the winter saving up some funds, do as much practical research as possible and learn how to sail small personal craft this coming summer of '20.

That being said: I'm madly in love with the Sea. It itches my spirit that I've taken this long to begin the journey of moving to the water. Yes I do have a mildly romantic view of the sailing lifestyle. However I'm a pragmatist, a stoic and primarily a cynic. I know well how a floating home/workplace can and will breakdown at the least opportune moment.
So yes I might not know much of anything but I'm not wholly ignorant either.
Thanks again for the input y'all. Please keep it coming if you have anything else to add

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 14 times
Been Liked: 133 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:56 am

Nomad_Dad wrote:Source of the post ..........
.......That being said: I'm madly in love with the Sea. It itches my spirit that I've taken this long to begin the journey of moving to the water. Yes I do have a mildly romantic view of the sailing lifestyle. However I'm a pragmatist, a stoic and primarily a cynic. I know well how a floating home/workplace can and will breakdown at the least opportune moment. ........

I did not intend my "romanticized concept" comment to be negative. I actually believe it to be essential; however it must be supported by these more practical traits that you have well described. Every response of a small sailboat resulting from your action will be mirrored by a larger boat, but the larger vessel will react more slowly. The only performance that can only be learned on board the larger vessel will be maneuvering about the docks under power with one screw while dealing with wind and current.

The opportunity is yours! Keep us posted of your successes and questions.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 21 times
Been Liked: 207 times

Unread postby tex » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:08 pm

Agree that the “romance” is essential part of a successful live-aboard attitude. Without it (or at least one’s romantic delusion), life aboard would be more of a trial than an adventure.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”