Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Introducing ourselves

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
slowboattochina
Your Vessel Info: Island Packet Steadysailer SP 41 motorsailer. We have owned a Peason 26, a Rhodes Swiftsure 33, a 1941 John Alden designed swordfishing yacht, and a Hunter 30T. Now contemplating selling it all and living aboard in FL with summer trip to Long Island.

Introducing ourselves

Unread postby slowboattochina » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:49 am

We are just starting the process of freeing ourselves from the dirt. We have businesses to unwind, houses, cars, small boats to sell, endless stuff to give away. We think it will take about 2 years. We are heading down to FL next month to look at liveaboard marinas in places like Dinner Key, Key Largo, Marathon. Ideally we would like to bring what ever boat we choose back up the ICW for summers in Peconic Bay on Long Island. We just need to find the biggest boat we can afford that is also the smallest boat we can live comfortably aboard and the biggest boat we can safely handle for the next 10 years. We are 63 and 60. We are not newbies at boats. I have rebuilt a Rhodes 33' sailboat from the keel up and restored a 1941 50' John Alden designed swordfishing yacht along with many antique airplanes. We are thinking about an Island Packet SP41 but are worried there is not enough comfortable salon space.

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 210 times

Re: Introducing ourselves

Unread postby tex » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Slowboat: Welcome aboard! Sounds like you’ve got a plan. The SP 41 is a really well built vessel that can bring you through some tough situations. The salon space, as you know, is basically the pilothouse. The settee is adequate and the twin helm chairs swivel so it makes the most if that space. I’ve got more than a few hours aboard my amigo’s PY Cruiser with a custom motor-sailor kit, so a very similar boat. The only thing I found a bit restrictive was the headroom at the bulkheads (many collisions) and some typically tight maintenance items. Otherwise, well thought out boat. Great quality, well organized ststems, go anywhere, and with a shallow draft that can get you in lots more anchorages.

A plus is the hot tub like seating area just forward of the windshield. Gives a good secure area to hang out on deck with a remote auto pilot in hand!
Attachments
478DF29D-DD95-4EB5-9D72-C0023EF01AC4.jpeg
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
slowboattochina
Your Vessel Info: Island Packet Steadysailer SP 41 motorsailer. We have owned a Peason 26, a Rhodes Swiftsure 33, a 1941 John Alden designed swordfishing yacht, and a Hunter 30T. Now contemplating selling it all and living aboard in FL with summer trip to Long Island.

Unread postby slowboattochina » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome Tex. The headroom issue may be significant but happens in almost all boats for me. I am 6'5. I could just get a helmet lol.

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 138 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:36 pm

Welcome to the community. We used to come near you when we would head up the inlet at Mattituck to the small anchorage and park.
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 210 times

Unread postby tex » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:24 pm

slowboattochina wrote:Source of the post Thanks for the welcome Tex. The headroom issue may be significant but happens in almost all boats for me. I am 6'5. I could just get a helmet lol.

OMG :o ....well, I guess you’ve got enough boat time out there to know what you can cope with, but 6’5” would be a deal killer for me on the SP-41.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
slowboattochina

Unread postby slowboattochina » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:45 pm

Capt Force, nice to meet you. Our current dirt home is right on the beach just east of Mattituck inlet. Our current Hunter 30T doesn't make me duck all that much but we don't live on her.

scallywag
Has Liked: 27 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Unread postby scallywag » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:46 pm

welcome slowboattochina. With rising sea level your beach side home might become under water. Parts of Miami are flooded 90 days a year. New homes in our area are to be 6 feet above the current dirt. Enjoy your search for your new home.

Dot and John

Topic author
slowboattochina

Unread postby slowboattochina » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:14 am

Thank you Scallywag. The rising water is a reason we are thinking living aboard. Our house is built to FEMA standards on pilings 15' above mean high tide but we think maybe we should sell it while somebody will still pay a lot for it. First step is to go look in FL and see if there is a place we could see ourselves. I am 63 years old and pretty fit, I am very experienced in fiberglass, woodwork, mechanical, etc. BUT what will I be able to do 10 or 15 years from now? I guess it's the question we all face.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”