Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Another Making A Break To Land

Learn how others did it. Ask advice on all issues related to making the move onto a boat.

Topic author
RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 165 times
Been Liked: 71 times

Another Making A Break To Land

Unread postby RTB » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:45 am

It has been a great run since we sold all of our land possessions and moved aboard back in 2012. After years of active cruising, we have recently moved back to a land based home. We still keep our boat here in Brunswick, Ga., Only 10 miles away from our apartment on a small lake. This was a very painful decision, but hope to return to the boat fulltime in a year.

We just have to deal with heath issues. Beverly could barely get on and off the boat. I could still walk or bike to get what we needed, but eventually bought a car..... The first car we have owned since 2012. So.... Doctors appointments are our weekly projects at this time. I have been off-loading stuff from the boat so it can be really cleaned up inside after 7 years of living aboard.

I honestly do not know where we are at. Hopefully, we move back aboard and carry on with the cruising life that we love. It was so cool to not own anything that did not fit on the boat. Not true now, and it pretty much sucks.
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

Robin
Your Vessel Info: We live on a 40ft 1986 Birchwood TS37 which has been updated twin 260hp Yanmar diesels. Semi displacement shallow keel, 15kts cruise, 20kts WOT.
Has Liked: 173 times
Been Liked: 69 times

Re: Another Making A Break To Land

Unread postby Robin » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:49 am

Sad to read but ourvery best wishes to you both. As you know we did similar but are back on board now albeit gone motor and in a cooler clime, in our case downsizing meant properties were out of our price reach and of course boats come fully furnished. Now in our second winter here but still managing, it is me not so mobile in our case. I don't miss a land house but car would be useful as would a workshop.
Mark my words, it will be dark again by nightfall :)

Topic author
RTB
Your Vessel Info: 1982 Hunter 36 (Cherubini)
Has Liked: 165 times
Been Liked: 71 times

Unread postby RTB » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:59 pm

Yeah... Been following you and T. Big move from a condo and a boat in Florida to a boat in England! I can't imagine that move! You two have a happy 2020!
But Why's the Rum Gone?

1982 (Cherubini)Hunter 36
s/v FUGUE

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:47 am

Nancie and I followed this same path with her mobility problems. I think it's important to remain aware that the passions that led you to the life aboard can still be directed to other successes. Remain in pursuit!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 215 times

Unread postby tex » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:20 pm

Well, at least you guys did some real cruising and living the life aboard. I’ll be 70 in July and all I’ve done is work on our boat. The plan is to go cruising in March and get rid of the remaining dirt dwelling. Frankly, Like Robin, I’d like to have a workshop too, but feel fortunate to have enough space on the boat for just about any project aboard. A stand-up engine room would be nice.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Return to “Making The Break From Land”