Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Life: Next Chapter

Stop in and say hi! Let us know a little bit about you.

Topic author
JoshD
Your Vessel Info: Looking...
Been Liked: 1 time

Life: Next Chapter

Unread postby JoshD » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:24 pm

Greetings...

47-years old, retired Navy veteran (26 years), and going through a divorce after 25 years of marriage; 4 x grown children. The last year or so hasn't been much fun, but I've always dreamed of living aboard a boat, and I'm thinking the timing may be right to give it a shot. (the soon-to-be-ex was never really too thrilled about the idea anyway!). Besides, the idea is enough to give me something positive to look forward to and plan over the next 2 years, which is about how much time I'll need to unwind a few businesses, sell marital assets, and figure out what's left when the divorce dust settles.

The boats I've owned through the years were as follows: 26' Crownline Deck Boat; 8.0M S2 Sailboat; 34' Catalina Sailboat. Although I enjoy sailing very much, I'd prefer to live on something with more space. My "dream boat" is a Fleming 55...but it's just that, a "dream". I don't have those kinds of resources, but I do lean towards trawler-style boats with pilot houses, fly bridges, 2-3 staterooms, aft cockpit area, etc., and would like to have enough space for my children to visit and hopefully, do some cruising. (The Great American Loop is on my bucket list!!!)

I look forward to learning from the group over the coming months and years as I transition to a new chapter of life. Thanks for allowing me the floor for a quick intro!

Best,
Josh

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 210 times

Re: Life: Next Chapter

Unread postby tex » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:18 pm

Josh, my gosh, you’re plan sounds exciting. Sorry for the hardships of late, but the beginning of a new chapter is just what the Doctor ordered for positive recovery. You may be right about a power boat for a live-aboard. Less romantic but more space per ft. Before you dedicate yourself to something over 40, check out the Krogen Manatee and Great Harbour trawlers. Cubic enigmas for sure. Stay in touch.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 138 times

Re: Life: Next Chapter

Unread postby CaptForce » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:52 am

Be sure to keep us informed of your progress and adventures. Where do you expect to locate your home port or cruising area?
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Return to “Introduce Yourself”