Welcome to the Liveaboard Forum

We are a forum dedicated to Liveaboards worldwide to enthusiastically discuss all aspects of living aboard a boat. Whether you are currently a liveaboard or want to become one you find every thing you need at Life-Aboard.com

You are currently viewing our board as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to searching the forum topics, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Anybody here familiar with Larry Pollock's Running Cloud Trimaran?

From blue water to the back waters, discuss all things cruising in this forum.

Topic author
Coyle
Your Vessel Info: 1975 Newport 30
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Anybody here familiar with Larry Pollock's Running Cloud Trimaran?

Unread postby Coyle » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:49 am

I didn't know where to put this thread. The Running Cloud was one of the winners of the first transatlantic race they started back in '87; in '89 it was docked in Tarpon Springs as he said it was the only marina that could accommodate it. I did some work on it when they were dismantling it to take to Lake Tahoe, the plan being a company out there was going to use it as a model to build a similar one for tourists--seats along the hulls etc--and keep Larry on as pilot, he considered it a retirement job. Now, I see the Running Cloud is on Lake Tahoe currently; just wondering if any of you have additional information? For one thing, when I look it up I see mention of a Larry Pollock's Running Cloud placing in some more current races as of 2007; any ideas?
P1100733.jpg

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 215 times

Re: Anybody here familiar with Larry Pollock's Running Cloud Trimaran?

Unread postby tex » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:46 pm

Don’t know anything about it but that is some machine. I suppose if money was no object, I’d undertake a similar project build with composite, solar, etc..
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

Topic author
Coyle

Unread postby Coyle » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:03 am

I think I've figured it out now. It looks like he did some races over in Asia back in mid 2000s; for such a large boat it isn't that heavy and can be dismantled for transport; Larry told me about sailing around the world; said in boat about size of mine; think he said was a catalina. I remember first seeing it was docked where my boat is in my profile pic; it is unique looking; for all that space there's not much boat to it; I've been inside those outer hulls, and the cabin is just a center walkway with a bunk on each side. I guess I didn't expect such an old boat to be back into racing; but as I recall they were very meticulous about everything. He was a real laid back, modest guy. Told me never to travel if there was a chance of storms; said he spent 3 months waiting, think it was off coast of Spain while everyone else got tired of waiting but came back beaten by the storms. Funny with all the new technology into multihulls that his would still be competitive.
International fleet at Phuket King’s Cup 2006
by Al Constable on 9 Dec 2006 In the Performance Multihulls, American Larry Pollock is leading overall with Running Cloud.
ROYAL LANGKAWI INTERNATIONAL REGATTA
HOME / PAST REGATTAS / RLIR 2006 / RESULTS / RACE DAY 3
Running Cloud Larry Pollock USA 0.8184 2:27:40 2:00:51 3 3
etc, looks like many between 2004-2006.

tex
Has Liked: 22 times
Been Liked: 215 times

Unread postby tex » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:20 pm

Occasionally, even without the benefit of gigabytes of ram, someone’s instinct gets the form correct for the function. Every vehicle I’ve ever been aboard that was built to such a specific purpose also featured compromised (to say the least) accommodations. A great testimony to the original design.
When life is hard, eat marshmallows!

CaptForce
Your Vessel Info: Morgan Out Island 41
Location: Lived Aboard 45 Years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet!
Has Liked: 16 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Unread postby CaptForce » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 pm

I didn't think any trimarans had been contenders in any major race for at least the last decade. All the Louis Vuitton Cup rivals in preparation for qualifying for the Americas cup are catamarans. Compared to today's truly fast boats the trimarans are slugs. No worries from me, though, I was king among the very slow "mother tub" cruisers in the Regatta Time in Abaco!
Take care and joy, Aythya crew

Topic author
Coyle

Unread postby Coyle » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:36 am

Looks like he did those races back mid 2000s so over a decade ago; and I don't think they were major races; just Asian: Thailand, Malaysia etc.
Oh wait, I just looked a bit deeper and see him and his boat at Antigua in 2009: "Antigua Sailing Week – Day two round up Yachting World April 27, 2009 Larry Pollock’s Flint 54, Running Cloud, was also a winner for the second consecutive day in Cruising Multihull." Is kinda interesting; I see the boat's design is Flint, and there's a ""Running Cloud" A 56 foot trimaran designed and built by Richard Flint. This boat made a California to Hawai'i passage in eight and a half days." Also I see it's Flint who's at the helm of Pollock's Running Cloud in the Phuket race: "In the Performance Multihull division, Race 3, the Larry Pollock owned Running Cloud, with Dick Flint at the helm won on corrected time by a large margin." I found the boat's design info: "Blue Water Boat Design
The boat designs by Hubbard shown below, are intended for open ocean passage making and cruising. With a background of sailing thousands of sea miles, these boats represent concepts which satisfy the rigorous conditions at sea, designed for safety and performance."
Perhaps that's an advantage for a trimaran? Also found pic from that 1970s hawaii race:
sc0005_orig.jpg

Running Cloud sailing 1.jpg

Return to “Cruising and Cruising Destinations”